Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When does bedwetting become an issue

I have googled this and found several different answers so I thought I would ask other moms. When do you think bed wetting is something to be concerned about? My son is five, he is small for his age ( very small for his age, more like the size of a four yr old ) and he has been potty trained since before he was three. We had him staying dry over night for awhile around Christmas time but then he started wetting again every night so we went back to pul ups. He wets every night, last night he wet so much he soaked through the pul up and then wet again after he fell asleep on the chair with me. It does not seem to matter if he does not have anything to drink after dinner or if he goes right before bed. He is a really heavy sleeper, I have tried the whole wake him up every few hours and it does not good. Most times I can not wake him enough to get him to go.

I am getting concerned that he has an under developed bladder or something.

Advertisement

Old 06-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

Re: When does bedwetting become an issue

I have talked to my ped about this before as my DS is very similar to your DS. I was told that it is completely developmental and that for some kids (especially boys) it just takes longer. The doc said if it was still an issue "once he gets to school age" we can talk about medication. I hate the idea of medicating my child, but I do plan on talking about it to the doc when we see her next month for his well check. DS (6 years old) is starting to get invited to go on sleepovers, and I always decline because I am so worried about the night wetting (he more often than not will even wet through the pull up.) A good friend from school invited him to camp out and DS was crushed when I had to say no. Plus, now that his 3 yo sister is completely dry at night, DS is starting to show signs of it affecting his self esteem.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac1976 View Post
Plus, now that his 3 yo sister is completely dry at night, DS is starting to show signs of it affecting his self esteem.
This is a problem for us also, his sister who is three almost four has been overnight trained for almost seven months now. I know it bothers my son and I do not know what to do for him.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My dd turned 7 in April and still wets the bed. She has gotten a lot better over the last few months and we make sure we wake her up around midnight to pee.

She is petite for her age too....only 38 pounds!

I wet the bed until the day before I started 2nd grade so the apple doesn't far from the tree in our case.

ETA: DD has been on one sleepover a couple of months ago and her bringing a pull-up wasn't an issue. The mom was super nice and the other girl may have not even have known.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)

Last edited by CherryPie; 06-18-2011 at 10:55 AM.
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

My 5yo dd still wets the bed. I use cloth trainers on her. I'm used to it by now. I wet the bed to so I think it's hereditary.
She also went through a small bout of not wetting, I was so happy. Then my mom had her overnight and was worried she would pee her bed so she put a diaper on her. She went right back to peeing every night and nap again
mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
teachermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When it becomes an issue for the child.

Our oldest and third children still wet nightly....they wear Pull-Ups and it doesn't concern either of them. Our ped offered to put the oldest on meds for it and prescribed an antidepressant with the added side effect of helping children not wet at night....even the pharmacist told me he would not give it to his child.

My DH and I both wet forever....like I even had a few episodes in high school!!! My mom always says her biggest regret was trying to train me out of it. Some kids just wet.

When my girls become upset and concerned about it, we will follow up with the ped. But I don't think I'll go the meds route.

And strangely enough it is our only son who doesn't wet at night...and I've often heard that boys are more prone to night wetting.
(O)….2, & Someone NEW….arriving May 2014!

Kindergarten Teaching Extraordinaire
teachermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my almost 5 year old still wets about 1/2 the time and its no big deal. she wears cloth trainers i make that look just like undies and the other girls are actually jealous she has special panties dh wet until he was 11-12 so im not concerned yet. if she was 8/10 and still wetting 1/2 the time or more id probably mention it(but not with her in the room bc i wouldnt want to effect her self esteem)
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There is no way I will use anti depressants on my son. I may look into cloth trainers and just say they are his special undies, anyone have a WAHM they would recommend to me?
Old 06-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneywalters View Post
There is no way I will use anti depressants on my son. I may look into cloth trainers and just say they are his special undies, anyone have a WAHM they would recommend to me?
my girls have only used mine...but i think snap eze makes youth sizes also...not sure who else
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #10
diapermommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my 6.5 yo son wets every night. He's in goodnights at night. we had to quit cloth cause it kept making the end of his penis sore no matter what I did. we think his may be caused from meatal stenosis. the kids are going for well checks this month and we plan on discussing this with his peds.