Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #11
Registered Users
Re: When does bedwetting become an issue

my oldest was about 8. he has a kidney disease, but it was unrelated. His nephrologist though, kept telling us to put him on meds or use the night alarm. He said sometimes where parents were "too accepting" then the kids wouldn't want to change. He said we needed to do "aversion therapy". We didn't and he grew out of it. That being said, he was totally fine with wearing pull-ups (didn't know where to find cloth trainers 10 yrs ago)....even to sleepovers. He had friends about the same age who would hide in the bathroom to put them on so no one saw. He didn't care at all, so he had sleepovers and went to them, no problem ...I knew of ppl on my XHs side of the family that wet the bed into their teens.

Jul, This used to be a great place
bluedaisyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:

My son is 7 and we just did a whole urinalysis etc. All is fine. He is not small, but rather very tall and incredibly active. Hard at play, hard at sleep. Funnily enough he has been doing a little better last month or so. Last two times protein showed in his urine at ped office(said that happens to very active kids sometimes) so that's why we did the full urinalysis.

Def use the goodnights as the pull ups are no good and will just lead to wet bed, sheets.

Ped said that by 7 a big percentage, maybe 95% or more grow out of it. I can see progress at least and sometimes I wake him at night when I go to bed and that started him doing it himself some of the time.
Mama of 4!
and precious little one 11/10/11
Leanbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:37 PM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

My oldest wet the bed until he was around 8. He grew out of it on his own. No amount of training or "aversion therapy" can make anyone control something that is out of their control.
Beth, Christian mama of 5 (expecting #6 Spring 2013).
Check out my blog Heart Stirred with Wisdom
4dramamama is offline   Reply With Quote