Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Homeschool for kindergarten public school for first grade

We are trying to sell our condo and once it sells we may move to a state (New York) with a different cut off that would allow my dd to go to kindergarten. I'm in Alaska and I was hoping to sell before school starts and be moved but our condo has a lot of competition and it is looking like we might not be able to sell it. I really wanted dd to go to kindergarten instead of being a year behind since the cut off is in December and her birthday is in September. I would hate to start her in the middle of the school year and have her miss out.

I don't plan on homeschooling my kids. I thought about it and parts of it appeals to me but I am not patient enough and disciplined and I want my kids to be educated. Plus when they get older and they are in school I want to go for my masters degree and eventually get a job. I was thinking of homeschooling her for kindergarten. I have the funnix reading and math program that I started doing with her and she enjoys and can look up other stuff to work on with her. She is going to preschool for the social aspect. Would I be able to enroll her in first grade if I home schooled her for kindergarten or would they want her to start in kindergarten? How would that work? Would they test her? Should I sign her up for something so it looks more formal?

nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Homeschool for kindergarten public school for first grade

Typically if you are planning to do this, you need to use an accredited program. With the first few years of school (k and first), students will often be placed based on age rather than ability when switching schools midyear and due to moves. If you want her placed in first grade, I would enroll in an accredited homeschool kindergarten program. My SIL ran into a similar situation with her middle daughter so she is homeschooling using Calvert Academy for K and First. Once she reaches 2nd grade, she'll be able to enroll her in school as a second grader provided she can prove she has used a certified program (so the student will have grades from someone other than Mom and Dad). Without this, the school said they would place her based on her age alone. Just use a certified program and you should have no problem.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
Registered Users

We homeschool in AK - and they will not let you enroll her in homeschool K with her bday being in Sept. My 2nd grader was reading before K, but her bday is Sept14th and they have to go by the same cutoff as the public school (we homeschool through IDEA). So even now, THEIR records say she's entering 1st grade, and mine say 2nd (she's already started her Math 2 last spring, and she reads at a 3-4th grade level, etc). They are always amazed that my kindergartner by their records was reading so proficiently and doing way more math that they thought.

We'll be here a bit longer, by the time we leave AK she'll be in 5th grade (4th by their records), so if we were to put her in public school, they would test her. But we plan on HSing through HS if possible.

If you do not plan on HSing for at least a few years, I would just suck it up and know she'll be older than her grade school friends. I have a friend who enrolled her Sept bday baby in a private Christian school for K up here, and they went to New Mexico (whose cutoff is Oct1) and they still made her repeat K.
I'm a homeschooling, military wife, and mama to four girls. Baby Boy due May 2014!

like me on Facebook
Aleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

I have never heard of the cutoff being in December! That is so odd. Usually it's Aug or September (when school starts )

She's turning 5 this year in September, so she would be headed off to school this August (barely still 4?) IMO that is young I wouldn't worry about starting school next year in the new city when she is barely still 5, and turns 6 right after school starts.
I make milkshakes in my yard.
Kriket is offline   Reply With Quote