Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
Whimsy Twist
Registered Users
Formerly: Lilymomma
seller

My Mood:
Toddler Nursing after 1.5 years weaned??? Thoughts?

(x-posted at MDC)

I'd love to hear some thoughts about this- I am currently breastfeeding my 11 month old. I also have 26 month old twins. They were born at 28 weeks gestation and I breastfed them (along with pumped, used donor milk and a few formula trials) for 7 months. My son was 'good' at nursing, but never cared for it beyond nutrition. He didn't comfort nurse, or nurse to sleep, or even hang around much past my let downs. My daughter was the opposite. She was addicted to breastfeeding. She could nurse for 45 minutes every time she ate, loved to cuddle, comfort suck. The only problem was that she never learned to transfer more than 1.5 ounces of milk in a feeding (even after 45 minutes or more).

For a variety of reason, I weaned them at 7 months to Neocate Formula. They were severely Failure to Thrive (she was only 7lbs), allergic to EVERYTHING I ate and I was 10 weeks pregnant with my 4th. They were exclusively fed this formula until 15 months old, when their guts were mature enough to handle some foods. They weaned completely from the formula to alternative milks a few months prior to their 2nd birthday.

Fast forward to now- She has been interested in breastfeeding again!!! I'm thrilled, I think... She kind of messed around the first few times she tried and just giggled and babbled "nurth", her word for nurse. These last two times, though, she has latched and transfered lots and lots of milk!!!

This is great- I had always felt that she had been robbed of our nursing relationship. I am completely fine with nursing her again, but I don't know ANYTHING about nursing a toddler. My oldest self weaned at 14 months (no joke), and my youngest is only 11 months. What kind of boundries do you set with your older ones? Do you offer, wait for them to ask? I've always held true to CLW in my ideals, even though circumstances didn't allow with my twins. What are the chances that this will turn into a full on nursing toddler? Do I still need to make sure that my youngest is getting the majority of my milk for the next few months until she is more dependent on solid foods (she is a BLW nibbler, nothing much, yet)? What do you think about this, in general? It just seems normal to let her nurse. The thought crossed my mind, in regards to telling her no, but that just doesn't feel right.

Thanks in advance for you opinions- this is WAY over my head right now!

Advertisement

Whimsy Twist
for the love of color...
find me on Facebook or Etsy
Whimsy Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Toddler Nursing after 1.5 years weaned??? Thoughts?

That is awesome! I think if she wants it and you are ok with it then do what feels natural. Good luck.
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
Ehlane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think as long as your youngest is getting plenty of milk, you should be fine. Since your older daughter is also eating more solids, she won't be as reliant as your youngest on BM for nutrition. But honestly, as long as you're producing milk without any issues, your body will adjust and you'll make plenty. I'm glad you're getting the opportunity! GL, Mama!
Old 06-19-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
DevonP
Registered Users
seller

That is awesome! I don't have any personal expereince with this, but I I know Kellymom.com has a lot of articles about EBF and tandem breastfeeding.
DevonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonP View Post
That is awesome! I don't have any personal expereince with this, but I I know Kellymom.com has a lot of articles about EBF and tandem breastfeeding.

That is SO exciting! I'm so glad you are getting this experience with your little girl!

There is a book called "Adventures in tandem nursing" that might be helpful: http://kellymom.com/nursingtwo/index.html

Also, here is a link on kellymom.com to get you started: http://kellymom.com/nursingtwo/resources/tandem-faq.pdf - this is basically a FAQ on tandem nursing written by the same lady who wrote "adventures in tandem nursing".

I hope it helps!

As far as setting boundaries, I think there are lots of *philosophies* but you can kinda do whatever works best for you guys. If you are up for round the clock snuggle/feedings, then go for it. If you would like more predictable times to nurse, you can set up those *rules* with your little one. Its kinda whatever you make of it, from what I've seen. I don't have an older nursing babe yet, so I can't really say from experience, though. Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
Old 06-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

That is so awesome!

I usually wait for my almost 20 month old to ask unless I am trying to get him to go to sleep.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #7
hippiemommie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am so happy for you! Your story made me tear up- doesn't help that I'm sitting here nursing my little cuddle bug!

I have no experience in nursing a toddler- so I'm sorry I can't offer any other advice other than (as long as the littlest one is getting what he/she needs) do what feels natural for you and your daughter!

I didn't get to nurse DS1 for several different personal reasons. And while I sit here nursing DS2- I look at DS1 and long for that same relationship. Well, he's 8 and that ship has sailed. So, YES- take advantage- it's so special!

My ISO/IHA!
hippiemommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
MaAzCaMDVa
Registered Users
seller

I love this story. I have no advice since I have not lived your experience, but you have all my support. Enjoy this new phase of parenting. There's always something new around the corner, huh?
MaAzCaMDVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:54 PM   #9
Whimsy Twist
Registered Users
Formerly: Lilymomma
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the replies! My DH doesn't see BF'ing as anything super special past the first year, and my other family just thinks this is nuts. Thanks for the links

I am curious to see where this goes. Yesterday and today, she's asked to "nurth", and then said "no" when I pull her up to my lap- but the day previous, she nursed a few times... Either way, if this is just a 'one time thing', or if she begins nursing regularily- I am so happy to have this experience with her.

Now, only if we could work on her latch... LOL! It's getting better, but the first few times were NOT that great. A lot of 'straw' sucking and me having to hold her chin down. Anyways, thanks for the support!

Whimsy Twist
for the love of color...
find me on Facebook or Etsy
Whimsy Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:48 AM   #10
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If it's something you both are comfortable with, go for it! I don't have any advice, as I've never BTDT, but I think it's great.

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote