Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #11
Mom2Gray
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone ever DECLINE progesterone shots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckerswife View Post
im currently getting progesterone shots i started this pregnancy with a sch at 9 weeks also my DD was born at 35 weeks after spending two weeks on bed rest my water broke in your situation i would not get or delay getting the shots if your doing well than i don't see a need for them
Sorry to hear about your sch! Do they have you on bed rest? That makes for a loooong pregnancy. Hope that LO bakes til he/she's done!!

Advertisement

Mom2Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:12 AM   #12
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Gray

Sorry to hear about your sch! Do they have you on bed rest? That makes for a loooong pregnancy. Hope that LO bakes til he/she's done!!
im not on bedrest i had a ultrasound at 16 weeks and it looks like the sch is gone i haven't had any bleeding sense 15 weeks i have another ultrasound tomorrow (20 weeks) to check baby's growth. my DD did extremely well for 35 weeks no breathing issues and she nursed well she was jaundiced and spent a couple extra days in the hospital for that she gained 4-5 ounces a week when we got home with her
but i know that not all babies born early do as well as she did so im hoping this lo waits a little longer to come
Old 06-20-2011, 11:16 PM   #13
jillybeans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was in your shoes a few months ago too....two healthy term and post-term pregnancies, and all of sudden dd3 was born at 35 weeks due to pProm, and was very ill and in the NICU for 2 weeks. But, I'd had an irritable uterus that pregnancy.

I ended up doing them, but based it purely on instinct. I'm glad I did. This pregnancy has been FAR worse than my others, and I've had PTL issues since 24 weeks, a shortening cervix, a uterine prolapse, amongst other things!

But, it was a hard hard decision. One thing to take into account is that if you do the GD test, the progesterone can skew the results of the GTT. We found this out AFTER I failed my 1-hr, and they looked in their books about it.

Considering you haven't had the PTL issues at all, then I'd really question if it would help or not.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:55 AM   #14
Oakleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: t***om
seller
seller

My Mood:

I declined them. My ds was born at 36 weeks, 6 days so I didn't really feel the benefit would outweigh the potential risks of the shot. It is a choice that every woman has to make for herself. My friend declined the shots with her second and he was born at 33 weeks, her first was born at 36 weeks.

From makena.com
"In a clinical study, certain complications or events associated with pregnancy occurred more often in women who received Makena. These included miscarriage (pregnancy loss before 20 weeks of pregnancy), stillbirth (fetal death occurring during or after the 20th week of pregnancy), hospital admission for preterm labor, preeclampsia (high blood pressure and too much protein in your urine), gestational hypertension (high blood pressure caused by pregnancy), gestational diabetes, and oligohydramnios (low amniotic fluid levels)."
Oakleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:55 AM   #15
monkeysocks23
Registered Users

They are talking about shots for me, too...or progesterone suppositories. I'm not familiar with any of this b/c my first (and only) pregnancy was so uneventful and smooth. Now I'm expecting twins (due 10/9) and am on bed rest for the rest of the pregnancy due to shortening cervix. There have been so many issues this time - which is totally challenging my "pregnancy is a normal life event, not a medical crisis" worldview.

Other than the fact that you might not need them (b/c it sounds like your last pregnancy was a big exception, since the other two went so smoothly)...is there a particular risk associated with them? I'm still researching, and I'm not familiar with all the side effects that progesterone shots might cause. I do tend to share the mindset that we shouldn't use medicine "just in case" - but in my case, what's at stake is two really, really preterm babies...so if there's a way to make that less likely, I'm generally open to it.

Having said that, we didn't do ANYTHING that was not totally necessary with our son - no vitamin K, no eyedrops, certainly no circumcision...so I'm not arguing for "just in case" medicine. I'm just asking -

What would be the drawbacks to getting them? Just curious about your thoughts on this.
monkeysocks23 is offline   Reply With Quote