Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2007, 08:15 PM   #11
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How many times did you knowingly expose your dc's to cp before they got it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
Because CP in an otherwise healthy child is just a little bit of fever and some itchy spots. CP in an adult is HORRORS. My sisters, my cousin, and I all got it at the same time when I was 9yo and there wasn't much to it. But my aunt's boyfriend caught it and he was sick for 3 times as long as us, had way more pox than us, and he said he was MISERABLE and could barely get out of bed.
I've heard that as well, however the OP herself said she just had it and it didn't sound like she was on her death bed. If I were to say that pox parties have been known to cause death in children who caught it, you'd blow that off because it is rare. But for me, the *chance* is enough. I know lots of mamas do try and expose their children to it. I just don't get it:goodvibes* Besides, I just don't have time to factor in sick kiddos if I don't HAVE to...kwim? I meant no disrespect to anyone who chooses to attempt it.

Advertisement

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:20 PM   #12
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Re: How many times did you knowingly expose your dc's to cp before they got it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
I've heard that as well, however the OP herself said she just had it and it didn't sound like she was on her death bed. If I were to say that pox parties have been known to cause death in children who caught it, you'd blow that off because it is rare. But for me, the *chance* is enough. I know lots of mamas do try and expose their children to it. I just don't get it:goodvibes* Besides, I just don't have time to factor in sick kiddos if I don't HAVE to...kwim? I meant no disrespect to anyone who chooses to attempt it.
Okay, I had it VERY mild because I had chicken pox already when I was 4 years old. My body already had a large immunity to it but I still broke out in 3 pox and fevers. A person who has NEVER had chicken pox before and gets them as an adult can have some major complications.

Also, keeping my kids healthy isn't about how much "time" I have. I am a single mom who works part time, no, I can't afford time off work really, but in the long run my girls will have a good healthy immunity to it And pox parties aren't known to cause death...do a little more research on it.

And once again, this really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with what I originally posted.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:22 PM   #13
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Because CP in an otherwise healthy child is just a little bit of fever and some itchy spots. CP in an adult is HORRORS. My sisters, my cousin, and I all got it at the same time when I was 9yo and there wasn't much to it. But my aunt's boyfriend caught it and he was sick for 3 times as long as us, had way more pox than us, and he said he was MISERABLE and could barely get out of bed.
This isn't always true. I rarely got sick as a child and was almost hospitalized with chicken pox (around 18 mo) when I was a baby I was so sick. As a result of that experience I don't treat chicken pox as a harmless disease - in most kids it is but in some it can make you very sick.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:24 PM   #14
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmnJJsMom View Post
Okay, I had it VERY mild because I had chicken pox already when I was 4 years old. My body already had a large immunity to it but I still broke out in 3 pox and fevers.
Yup, that's kinda what I figured, that you'd had it before.

Anyway, maybe your DDs are already immune. IIRC though, if you were to expose them again, they would build up even more immunity even if they don't catch it. (I think! Don't quote me on that, LOL)
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:27 PM   #15
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Yup, that's kinda what I figured, that you'd had it before.

Anyway, maybe your DDs are already immune. IIRC though, if you were to expose them again, they would build up even more immunity even if they don't catch it. (I think! Don't quote me on that, LOL)
No, you're right on that one I was told the reason that I got it was probably from lack of exposure due to so many kids being vaxed now.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:32 PM   #16
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Can we please stay on topic, there is no reason this thread should have turned into a debate, if you had no info to offer on my original post, you shouldn't be posting a post on this thread at all lleyes2:

Last edited by EmnJJsMom; 04-01-2007 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:38 PM   #17
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmnJJsMom View Post
Can we please stay on topic, there is no reason this thread should have turned into a debate, if you had no info to offer on my original post, you should be posting a post here at all lleyes2:
Right on ... Cause it's a message board where people come to have conversations.

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:44 PM   #18
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
Right on ... Cause it's a message board where people come to have conversations.
I meant on this thread...I thought that was pretty obvious.

Eta, just caught my typo
Old 04-01-2007, 09:25 PM   #19
contemplation31
Registered Users

I exposed my 17 yr old twice before she got CP. My seven year old has been lucky so far, but only because I haven't heard of any outbreaks. And if my 3 month old is a little older when I do find an outbreak, I'll hopefully have 2 itchy girl children!

I had CP when I was about 8. For me it was great, staying home, watching cartoons and eating sugar coated cereal (after having my finger nails cut down to nothing!). Then my mom got them for the first time. Not so great for her,,, she ended up in the hospital with pneumonia after breaking out so bad that her eyes were swollen shut and pox were covering not only the inside of her mouth, but down her throat too. I'm sure her's was a severe case, BUT about half of the 100 deaths yearly are adults and about half of the remainder are infants and immunocompromised kids.

So, I think I would prefer a itchy, whiny kid to the alternative

POX PARTY IT IS!!
Old 04-01-2007, 10:43 PM   #20
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

My 2 year old has (unknowingly, if it matters) been exposed twice, once last August and once almost 3 weeks ago. My baby was also exposed 3 weeks ago along with him. I've heard the incubation period for CP is 2-3 weeks, so I have until this Thursday to find out!