Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #11
swedishmaiden
Registered Users
seller

Re: Nipple shield pros and cons?

I wish I had been able to wean off the shield sooner like many of you. I never had supply issues, but I tried weaning DD off the shield many times before it finally worked at about 4 months old. It made me feel embarrassed, like I wasn't doing it right or I wasn't good enough to nurse. But I was dealing with an extremely colicky baby and PPD, too, so that made it harder to put as much attention into trying to get off the shield. So I guess I don't really regret it. I'm grateful it helped her learn to latch eventually. And hoping baby #2 won't need it (I'm guessing not, since my nipples really aren't flat at all after nursing DD for 18 months!).

Advertisement

swedishmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #12
lullaby80
Registered Users

My Mood:

Last edited by lullaby80; 07-29-2011 at 11:56 AM.
lullaby80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #13
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbabybottoms View Post
I think he nipple shield can be a great tool that can do a lot of good under the correct guidance and supervision but I do think it is over recommended and often can lead to many more problems than what one originally had.
True. I'd be concerned about why the baby is having trouble latching in the first place. The shield an be just a "bandaid" on the problem if it's not addressed.
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #14
omahonycm
Registered Users
seller
seller

The nipple shield absolutely saved me. I have recommended it as a last resort to new moms. When I looked down and saw blood all over my newborn's face from where I had cracked, I knew I needed help! We used it for 1 month and by the end of the second month, we didn't use it at all, but it got us both through.

A side benefit, she started sleeping really well at night because I was able to slip my nipple (in its nipple shield) in her mouth before she actually woke up all the way. (We used a co-sleeper next to our bed).
omahonycm is offline   Reply With Quote