Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
hippiemommie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Should I be worried? (poop question)

By this time of day, DS has normally pooped at least 5 good sized poopies. Today- nothing so far. He's still had plenty wet dipes, but no dirty ones. He doesn't seem to be in pain. His normal smiley self. But this is just really strange for him.

Advertisement

My ISO/IHA!
hippiemommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Should I be worried? (poop question)

How old is LO? EBF? Solids?

If he is EBF, its totally normal for the numbers of poopy diapers to go way down (even rapidly) and they can poop as little as 1 per 10 days (max) and this is normal. Breastmilk is so perfectly made that nearly every last drop can be utilized by baby, so most will be absorbed and leave very little to poop out. This typically happens around 3-4 months but can happen a little sooner or later.

I'll see if I can find a good link for ya on kellymom.com.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
hippiemommie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Really?! wow! That makes sense though!

He is a little over 3 months and ebf. Maybe that's what's happening...

My ISO/IHA!
Old 06-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

I remember my little guy would poop 3x per day like clock work until he was about 3-4 months and then one day...nothing. The next day....nothing again. Third day, one little poop. And since then he has either pooped one small poop a day or every other.

Here is some info from kellymom.com

Dirty diapers: Expect 3-4+ stools daily that are the size of a US quarter (2.5 cm) or larger. Some babies stool every time they nurse, or even more often--this is normal, too. The normal stool of a breastfed baby is yellow and loose (soft to runny) and may be seedy or curdy. After 4 - 6 weeks, some babies stool less frequently, with stools as infrequent as one every 7-10 days. As long as baby is gaining well, this is normal. - http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html - chart with explanation of normal number of poopy diapers.

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 06-20-2011 at 07:32 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
hippiemommie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks

It's so funny how becoming a mommy, you worry about someone else's poopy!

My ISO/IHA!

Last edited by hippiemommie; 06-20-2011 at 07:31 PM. Reason: It's so funny how becoming a mommy, you worry about someone else's poopy! :)
Old 06-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemommie View Post
thanks

It's so funny how becoming a mommy, you worry about someone else's poopy!
lol - totally! For awhile, I think I was a little obsessed. I'm sure my Pedi was wondering why of all the things I could worry/obsess over, I picked his poop... lol

It sounds normal to me, but you could probably call your Pedi and ask if you are really concerned. As long as the next poop is soft and regular looking, I'd probably not be too worried.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #7
DevonP
Registered Users
seller

I had a similar expereince. All of the sudden my LO stopped pooping numerous times a day at about 8-10 weeks. I read this is normal and the same info about how they can go up to 10 days and it's okay. I think that is in the Sears Baby Book. Funny, I just emailed a friend with a new baby and told her she had a reduction in pooping to look forward to. Why does no one tell you this? lol
DevonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:02 PM   #8
mamastesh
Registered Users
Formerly: preemiemama
seller
seller

I don't know why no one tells you this, but it happened to my lo too. Around 10 - 12 weeks I think. All of sudden one day no poop. EBF and just went from poop all day to once very 4-7 days. He was uncomfortable and gassy for a day when the poops first slowed down, but fine after that. Didn't start pooping everyday again until he started eating solids every day.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:24 AM   #9
cherrycoke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by preemiemama View Post
I don't know why no one tells you this, but it happened to my lo too. Around 10 - 12 weeks I think. All of sudden one day no poop. EBF and just went from poop all day to once very 4-7 days. He was uncomfortable and gassy for a day when the poops first slowed down, but fine after that. Didn't start pooping everyday again until he started eating solids every day.
Thanks for posting this. My LO's poops have started slowing down a little bit and is uncomfortable and gassy sometimes, I'm glad to find out it's related to something
Old 06-21-2011, 07:58 AM   #10
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD was always a daily pooper, but randomly there would be days where she would go a good 24-36 hours without going even once. I wouldn't worry about it, especially since he has been wetting diapers in the meantime.

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote