Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
izzies_mommy
Registered Users
seller

daycare and breastmilk amounts? help!

I need some advice/support/help..please!

My little girl is 5 months, born on jan 4th. She has been ebf the entire time aned always on demand. So sometimes she need a bit for thirst, sometimes for hunger and sometimes to sleep...

Well two weeks ago I started back at work for 3 hours....I sent a bottle each time varyinf from 3 oz to 5.5 oz. I always feed her right before and feed her right when I pick her up.

I will be doing 4 hours this upcomg week. And I will do a lunch time nurse

Can you tell me how much I should be sending.

I think she shouldn't need a bottle from drop off to lunch, but she's been taking it. I worry its a keep quiet bottle rather than an I am hungry bottle.

Advertisement

izzies_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
izzies_mommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: daycare and breastmilk amounts? help!

We had a routine but daycare completly changed it....
izzies_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:

If you are only doing an extra hour, she shouldn't need anything besides what you've been sending. And honestly, if you are going during your lunch, I bet the bottle in the middle will be cut out. I'd still bring it JIC. I nursed on one side for my breaks and pumped on the other, but I had 9 hour days.
wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
Mamma527
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think at 5 months we were doing 6 oz every 2.5 to 3 hours. but he would eat every 2 hours at home. So I would feed him at 8 drop him off at daycare and they would give him a bottle at 10 12:30 3:30.

So if your gone 4 hours and you are going to nurse once I don't think any bottles are needed. Maybe send some frozen milk for them to keep for just in case
Old 06-21-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

My first DD didn't take bottles at all at daycare. I nursed her at dropoff and pickup and over my lunch break and she was fine. My second DD did take bottles, but I kept up the same type of routine with her. She took bottles of 2.5 oz each at that age. She moved up to 3 oz around 7 months and never went higher than that. I would recommend sending smaller bottles rather than bigger ones, especially if you intend to nurse her when you arrive. For 4 hours, I might send two 2-2.5 oz bottles, just in case, but expect them to only use one.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
DevonP
Registered Users
seller

I found this article really helpful: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
It has a calculator to help you figure out howmuch. I had the dr. telling me DS should be taking 4-6oz, but really with the amount of times he bf he really only needs 3-4oz. Saved me a lot of stress and wasted milk b/c he does not like the bottle!
DevonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
carleyann'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have sent 3 4 oz bottles for my dd since 3 months of age. She is 9 months now and I have never sent more- I just can pump any more than that anyway! I was told by a LC that 4 ozs is a good amount and should never really need more. They comfort suck so if the bottle is there sure they will eat more. When my DD finishes she may fuss but then she is given her pacifier and she is fine! Its hard to figure out how much especially when you can only pump a certain amount!

carleyann'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #8
tuhraycee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I send what I've pumped which is about 12-15 oz. total (among 3 bottles - it was 4 when she was younger). At around 6 months she was getting hungry during day so I ok'ed daycare to give her oatmeal w/ breastmilk in the morning if she was still hungry after her first bottle for them.

WOHM to a 7-year old boy and a Nov. 2010 baby girl!

ISO: large Thirsties FF, medium or large FB
tuhraycee is offline   Reply With Quote