Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
mama_4
Registered Users
seller

what do YOU use for birth control?

So I am nursing a beautiful little 4 month old princess right now. I had a Mirena IUD put in when she was just about 2 months old. Today, I had it removed via laparoscopy because it traveled outside my uterus into my pelvis...SO, needless to say I'm a little weary to get another IUD after what I've been through even though my doctor says I'm a good candidate to get another one. Since I'm nursing I realize my options are limited. We don't really want to do condoms long term. And we're not ready for any permenant measures yet since we want at least one more child. What do you use??

Advertisement

Old 06-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
vjchristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: what do YOU use for birth control?

This book helped me TONS: Taking Charge of Your Fertility. You can find it on Amazon

I used natural birth control and it worked really well. A friend of mine also did this the first 10 YEARS of their marriage and the month they wanted to conceive, they did.

We HATE using condoms and I don't react well to hormonal BC methods. I had an IUD for a while too, but had it taken out soon after we got married so we could TTC.

Good luck! I'll be in the same boat in a couple of months after baby #1 is born. I'm hoping that if I exclusively breast feed, that it'll keep my cycles from starting.
vjchristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
A&M'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had an iud with dd1 and hated it. Got it taken out after 9 months.

My midwife told me the nuva ring is safe I used that before and it was one that I liked the most. I've used the multiple pills, the shot, iud, nuva ring

But I'm interested in what other moms are using and their experience...
A&M'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
seacat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjchristi View Post
This book helped me TONS: Taking Charge of Your Fertility. You can find it on Amazon

I used natural birth control and it worked really well. A friend of mine also did this the first 10 YEARS of their marriage and the month they wanted to conceive, they did.

We HATE using condoms and I don't react well to hormonal BC methods. I had an IUD for a while too, but had it taken out soon after we got married so we could TTC.

Good luck! I'll be in the same boat in a couple of months after baby #1 is born. I'm hoping that if I exclusively breast feed, that it'll keep my cycles from starting.
We've been using the Fertility Awareness Method for five years and planned our conceptions for both kiddos.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Before I had dd I used papaya seeds, for four years. I know, I know.... Doesn't sound plausible. But it worked for me and as soon as I stopped eating them dd was conceived very easily: first try. I know some other people that use them as well with success. Basically you just need to eat 4 or 5 papaya seeds for 7 days after unprotected sex.

It's s method they use in Asia where papaya grows abundantly. Actually I think they might eat the entire papaya but the seeds themselves work. It's the papain in them that prevents pregnancy.
Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
cherrycoke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We used Natural Family Planning both to prevent and conceive. DS is our first baby, so I'm curious to see how tracking my cycle will work while BFing. We don't plan on doing anything extra to avoid pregnancy in the meantime, we want kids so whenever we get pregnant is fine. I like NFP because it really helped me get to know my body and it doesn't cost anything (no running out to buy condoms at midnight ).
Old 06-20-2011, 06:47 PM   #7
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara'sMommy View Post
Before I had dd I used papaya seeds, for four years. I know, I know.... Doesn't sound plausible. But it worked for me and as soon as I stopped eating them dd was conceived very easily: first try. I know some other people that use them as well with success. Basically you just need to eat 4 or 5 papaya seeds for 7 days after unprotected sex.

It's s method they use in Asia where papaya grows abundantly. Actually I think they might eat the entire papaya but the seeds themselves work. It's the papain in them that prevents pregnancy.
Oh wow! That is so fascinating! So do you just always buy fresh papaya or do you have dried seeds or what? I'm so curious!

LO is EBF and so far that has worked. I recently noticed a huge dip in my supply for a couple days and then everything went back to normal. It was weird because I have over supply and it was like the pipes totally dried up for a couple days - my LO was nursing constantly! I talked to my LC about it and she said probably ovulated.... uh-oh. Gotta be careful now. No AF, though. I'm SO happy about that, but a little nervous that I could be ovulating w/o any other signs. That could be bad...

I'm gonna need to look into other methods (other than "hoping") to make sure we don't have a surprise any time soon! lol
Old 06-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #8
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin-mylilguy

Oh wow! That is so fascinating! So do you just always buy fresh papaya or do you have dried seeds or what? I'm so curious!

LO is EBF and so far that has worked. I recently noticed a huge dip in my supply for a couple days and then everything went back to normal. It was weird because I have over supply and it was like the pipes totally dried up for a couple days - my LO was nursing constantly! I talked to my LC about it and she said probably ovulated.... uh-oh. Gotta be careful now. No AF, though. I'm SO happy about that, but a little nervous that I could be ovulating w/o any other signs. That could be bad...

I'm gonna need to look into other methods (other than "hoping") to make sure we don't have a surprise any time soon! lol
Yes to both! I buy a fresh papaya and dry the seeds. One papaya holds enough seeds to eat 4 a day for atleast a month, sometimes more. I just scoop all the seeds out and put them on a plate with paper towels and in a windowsill or somewhere with fresh air. Then when they are totally dry I put them in a plastic baggie. It's kinda gross. Sort of peppery, oh yeah! You have to chew them!
Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #9
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Up until DD was 14 months old, we didn't use any form of protection. We were open to the idea of a 3rd child, so come what may. Well, apparently breastfeeding was a solid form of birth control for me because we never conceived. Within the past 3 months, though, we've decided to put off having a third anytime soon. Now that we're not so comfortable with "whatever happens, happens" I've been making DH pull out Not all that effective, I know, but the quickest I could get in to see my OB for my annual/birth control is in July. I will talk to him about the mini pill as that's supposedly the only pill compatible with BFing.

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #10
Janet4
Registered Users
seller

When I was 1st married started on the pill. Tried the mini pill after ds1 and it didn't work for me (caused constant spotting). Went back on pill sometime b/n 2 & 3. After 3 had the merina iud. Began to have a reaction to the progesterone in it. Didn't confirm it until I had it removed & everything cleared up w/in 6 wks. Love the book, Taking Control of Your Fertility. But...managed to get pregnant w/#4 anyway (after 4 yrs). (Had the same reaction to progesterone for the 1st couple of mos). Sooo...we are still using fertility awareness, just being even more careful in the preovulation period.
Janet4 is offline   Reply With Quote