Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-26-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
uofmrocky
Registered Users
seller

Overfeeding your breastfed child?

Can you over fed your breastfed baby. I have a 1 month old and breastfeeding has been going good. However, I have been nursing him on both sides each time. Most of the time he empties me on one side and then just eats a little on the other side. This morning I fed him only on one side and he appeared to be satisfied.

My one main concern is he is a pretty fussy baby when awake and acts as if he is in pain. The doctor has us taking Zantac for reflux, but he still appears to be in pain. I wondered if he was just really gassy, but the doctor told me that probably wouldn't make him that fussy.

If I am overfeeding him could I cause him to have a bellyache?

Advertisement

uofmrocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
cupnkey
Registered Users

I personally do not think you can ever overfeed an EBF baby. Could the fussiness be due to a food sensitivity. At least in our case, when my DD was fussing at about 1 month, I decided to cut all dairy and soy out of my diet. It worked wonders
cupnkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My ds2 was that way. I got maybe 10 minutes of happy time after feeding. Then it was fuss and cry til he fell asleep, which lasted 20-30 minutes the we did it all over again. The doc didn't think he had reflux or anything and it didn't seem apparent there was a food sensitivity. He was just a fussy baby. Do you wear him much? If not I would suggest a good carrier like a woven wrap or ring sling where you can keep him close.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Overfeeding your breastfed child?

Breastfed babies eat until they are full... you can't overfeed them, according to every LC/LLL leader I know. LOL. What dosage is he taking of Zantac? DS2 had awful reflux, and it caused a lot of pain until we got the correct dosage figured out. Also, gas really can be painful for some babies. Have you tried giving him Mylicon drops, or trying natural methods to relieve gas?

Babywearing, like PP mentioned, could help a lot too! DS1 was colicky, and DS2 was fussy due to his reflux... I never would have survived without a good baby carrier, LOL!
Old 06-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree with the pp's
Old 06-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
ahenson
Registered Users
seller

Perhaps baby is getting too much foremilk, and maybe not getting enough gas out during the feeding? Maybe try going a little longer on one side before switching, or going back to that side after a break. DS1 was like what you described and I think that was why. GL!
Old 06-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #7
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
Formerly: daddyn3wisechix
seller
seller

My Mood:

All great info... 1st I would suggest burping if you are not... I know, I know people say BF babes don't need to be burped... well, let me tell you, mine did... I have a very strong let down & I think it caused them to gasp & suck down a lot of air... it got better when they were about 6 months or so, but when wee ones, they burped like truckers.. LOL; 2nd, I would try nursing on just 1 side & seeing how that goes; & 3rd, food sensitivitiy to something in your milk could be a very plausible culprit.

Nope you can not force them to nurse, trust me... even when your breasts are about to explode & you are worried you will get mastitis.... believe me, I know.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
ahenson
Registered Users
seller

I agree with PP! I have a forceful letdown and DS2 has to burp in between nursing on one side even!
Old 06-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #9
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Babies with reflux can't tell hunger pain from reflux pain, so yes, they will overeat. Not in a sense of they just eat to eat, but in the sense, that they feel tummy pain, think they are hungry and continue to eat. Zantac doesn't work for most babies. It does for some, but not most. You will likely have to move on to Prevacid or Prilosec if your LO really does have reflux. I would try to get that under control first. Reflux is crazy common in babies these days. Both of mine had it. That said, I would likely nurse one side only each eating session and see how the baby does. If LO needs more, then offer more of course! But once the reflux calms, you'll probably see a difference and once side will probably be more than enough.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
lisha622
Registered Users
seller

I was feeding my DD on both sides for a while and then started trying on just one side. She did fine and has only nursed on one side for a while... in the last few days I think she's been going through a growth spurt because she's been eating on both sides a few times a day (she's almost 3 months). I know everyone says EBF babies can't overeat, but Sophie would eat anytime I gave her the option. If she's not hungry, she eats a lot slower, but she'll still eat. She used to have worse gas issues, and when she'd get really upset, I would feed her, not knowing what her issue was, and she would eat. Like PP said, I think she was just trying to help her belly, but by feeding her, I was just making the gas worse. Mylicon didn't work much for us. A health doctor suggested I try Goodbelly (a probiotic juice drink) to help with her thrush. I'm not sure why he suggested it for thrush, because it has sugar in it, but I've realized it's helping her in AMAZING ways for her gas issues. She went from pooping once a day or less (which, if she didn't poop, she was always really fussy) to pooping several times a day, and she's a much happier baby. Their website suggests not giving it to kids under a year, but my natural health doctor suggested it, and I've just been giving her a teaspoon or less once a day.