Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #11
Just2fornow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need help increasing my supply :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizonah13 View Post
Thank you so much for the additional advice ladies!

What is a an IBCLC versus a "regular" lac. consultant?

Also, I read up on the Domperidone - is this something my doctor would prescribe or would I have better luck ordering it from overseas? (and if so, can anyone suggest a reputable place to order from?)

I'm off to check out Dr. Newman's website now

Thanks again!!
Your doctor will probably NOT write your a script for domperidone because it is an off-lable use for it. It is actually a GI drug that just happens to have the side-effect of milk If he does write you one you wil have to have it compounded at a pharmacy and it's $$$$. I did this ONCE and then decided to go overseas. I and many other mamas here use inhousepharmacy.biz. Very reputable and pretty fast

Advertisement

Just2fornow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #12
Tish1973
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been taking Fenugreek and am averaging about 12-15 oz over the 3 pumping sessions I do at work. I never thought I could produce that much. My pedi recommended taking the capsules in this way: (I'm taking the 610mg I think)

1 3x a day for 2 days
2 3x a day for 2 days
3 3x a day

I read somewhere that once your supply goes up you can quit taking them, but I'm unsure of that. I see her again on the 28th and will hopefully remember to ask.

Again, I don't have a lot of knowledge on this, but she said that Reglan (a prescription) is something else I could try if Fenugreek didn't work. It's not supposed to help the baby, but I haven't looked into it as Fenugreek seems to be working in my case.

Good luck!
Tish1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #13
Arizonah13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaclaire View Post
Your doctor will probably NOT write your a script for domperidone because it is an off-lable use for it. It is actually a GI drug that just happens to have the side-effect of milk If he does write you one you wil have to have it compounded at a pharmacy and it's $$$$. I did this ONCE and then decided to go overseas. I and many other mamas here use inhousepharmacy.biz. Very reputable and pretty fast
Good to know - I'm going to give the Mothers Milk stuff a couple more days and I've started adding fenugreek today too. I think I'll go ahead and order some though since it'll probably take a little while to get here.

Thanks agian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish1973 View Post
I've been taking Fenugreek and am averaging about 12-15 oz over the 3 pumping sessions I do at work. I never thought I could produce that much. My pedi recommended taking the capsules in this way: (I'm taking the 610mg I think)

1 3x a day for 2 days
2 3x a day for 2 days
3 3x a day

I read somewhere that once your supply goes up you can quit taking them, but I'm unsure of that. I see her again on the 28th and will hopefully remember to ask.

Good luck!
I've already started it (but started taking 2 pills at a time already lol)... since I've already taken 2 doses, I'll just finish the next day and half with 2 pills at each time before bumping it up to 3 3x/day.

Thanks again!

I really appreciate all this help from you wonderful mamas!
Arizonah13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:40 PM   #14
Mamma527
Registered Users
seller
seller

When you start smelling like maple syrup you'll know your taking enough fenugreek
Old 06-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #15
Just2fornow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish1973 View Post

1 3x a day for 2 days
2 3x a day for 2 days
3 3x a day

Again, I don't have a lot of knowledge on this, but she said that Reglan (a prescription) is something else I could try if Fenugreek didn't work. It's not supposed to help the baby, but I haven't looked into it as Fenugreek seems to be working in my case.

Good luck!
I would NOT recommend taking Reglan!!!! It has basically been blacklisted and can cause MAJOR side effects for mom!!!! Some of the mamas on here have taken it in the past and most seem to be super unhappy with it. Domperidone seems to be the best choice
Just2fornow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:19 PM   #16
DevonP
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizonah13 View Post
Thank you so much for the additional advice ladies!

What is a an IBCLC versus a "regular" lac. consultant?
IBCLCs are International Board Certified Lactation Concultants (did I get that right?) and have to meet rigourous standards for training to get certified.

You might also want to check out Best for Babes www.bestforbabes.com
DevonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:25 AM   #17
mommy2ivy
Registered Users
seller

all kinds of great advice has been given. i just wanted to encourage you to keep up the good work and stay positive. try to enjoy every moment because it all goes by so quickly
mommy2ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:54 AM   #18
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

I take 4 three times a day but it depends on the mg in the capsules. Check out kells closet she had great info about fengugreek and ho wmuch to take.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #19
juliabell
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hey mama, I'm sort of in the same boat as you. Although I'm not certain for the reason of my low supply. It's possible that because I got sick right after childbirth, my milk didn't come in until day 5. I'm sort of in the same process as you and here is what I've been doing:

I've met with LCs almost once a week. I was told to take that BFing weekend and really focus on building supply. I started on Fenugreek pills, 3 pills 3x a day. I was put on a schedule of nursing every 2-3 hours, followed by pumping for 15-20 mins after nursing. Then giving whatever I'd pumped to my little guy in the next nursing session. Once I started this regimen, he started gaining the desired 1oz a day. I'm not sure how much my supply increased but I was never able to get more than 1/2-1oz at each pumping session.

After a week of that regimen, I met with an LC again for a pre and post feed weigh. Turned out he was only getting about 1oz from me - and I was pumping the rest of what he needed. We started supplementing not only with the pumped breastmilk, but with a little formula when I couldn't pump enough. I finished my bottle of Fenugreek and started on the More Milk Plus. I recommend taking the larger dose of it.

My LC referred me to an Occupational Therapist to do an evaluation of his feeding. She found that he has a thicker labial frenulum and perhaps a posterior tongue tie. I was given exercises to do with him to help with these problems rather than jumping right into having them clipped. She also gave me some positioning and latch help. Since he had lost so much weight in the beginning and didn't gain, he was lacking muscle tone. So his cheek pads weren't developed enough to get a great suck when he was nursing. She told me to support his chin with one finger while nursing and give him something to push against when he nursed. This has seemed to help!

I will go to the LC again next week to do another pre and post feeding weigh to see if he is getting more. It seems that everyone's thought is that as he gains weight and muscle he will only get better at nursing.

Don't give up, but also don't feel bad for needing to supplement. This was the hardest thing for me and I cried when giving him formula for the first time. I hope that you are able to build your supply. BUT, my pediatrician made a good point that if we are spending all of our time nursing, pumping and supplementing, we will be missing some other developmental time and not being able to just ENJOY being mothers. Our plan is that if my LO isn't able to really get to the point of just nursing, we'll just figure on supplementing and/or EPing. Not ideal, but we do need our lives back at some point.

I would recommend the LC visits and ask for a referral to an Occupational Therapist. That was an eye opener for me!

Feel free to PM me to discuss, commiserate or keep me updated on your journey!
Wife to B. Mama to M (May 2011.) Expecting #2 (July 2014!)
CD, BF, BW, Waldorf, minimalist.
juliabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #20
kalb13
Registered Users

My Mood:

I use fenugreek 4 pills 3 x a day, blessed thistle 3 pills 3 x day, and domperidone (through the company already mentioned). Your story sounds a lot like mine, esp. the part about almost no increase in breast size during pregnancy or after milk "comes in." I also had the traumatic visit to the pedi. with my ODS, where I was shown how skinny his arm was and basically told that it was all my fault that my child was starving He's 5 now, and I still get teary when I think about it. With DD (who is 2 months) I was ready for the possibility of low suppy, so I started the supplements much earlier and was able to avoid a disappointing weight check. Good luck, mama!!! I know how hard it is....just remember that every bit you can give your baby is beneficial!
kalb13 is offline   Reply With Quote