Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2011, 11:30 PM   #21
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizonah13
After having 3 losses (one which was ectopic), we finally stayed pregnant with our beautiful little girl (4th times the charm! ). I was nearly two weeks late, had to be induced and 46 hours after induction, ended up having a c-section. Basically, nothing has been easy.

Luckily, we have a gorgeous little lady who was a robust 9lb 15oz at birth.

Unfortunately, my supply has been horribly low from the start.

During pregnancy, I never leaked at all - my breasts hardly even changed in size. Once she was born, I had an extremely hard time getting her to latch on (despite having LCs and nurses assisting me numerous times during the 3 days after her birth). My nipples were getting scabby and cracking like crazy and when she would stay on the breast, it hurt the entire time. I started pumping in the hospital, but never got more than a single drop of colostrum (or nothing at all) so I just kept praying for my milk to come in.

About 4 days after her birth, it finally came in... not much fanfare. I didn't become engorged at all - my breasts were slightly fuller and occasionally leaked a few drops, but I figured that was normal for me, so I nursed her every 3-ish hours. I probably should have done it more often, but I was in horrible pain. I finally tried some nipple shields which I thought were my saving grace.

Unfortunately, by her 2 week appointment, my poor baby had lost well over 10% of her birth weight. I felt horrible (and feel awful just thinking back on it).

I immediately started giving her formula. When I started pumping, I was disappointed to discover that I was getting - at best - 1 oz between BOTH breasts. My "record" was a whopping 2 oz.

Anyway, I'm still nursing her - although more as "comfort nursing" and I'm still pumping, but I've started my period so my supply has dropped to about 1/2 - 3/4 oz between both sides. I'm hoping that'll increase once AF stops.

My MIL purchased some More Milk Plus which I've been taking for a couple of days now - not sure if I see an improvement just yet. I also ordered some More Milk Special Blend since it seems like the goat rue might be useful to me, but haven't started that yet.

I was just hoping you ladies who may have had the same trouble had any suggestions that might help me to get my milk boosted.

My baby is now nearly 7 weeks old and I'm trying best to hang onto whatever little supply I have so she gets at least a few ounces per day.

Thanks for any suggestions/advice.
Goats rue in whatever form is amazing! I took it in the more milk special like you have and then took the capsules you can get of straight goats rue. It helps in what you are explaining as your story. I hope it works for you.
Fwiw- before Ds started solids around nine mo I was taking more milk special 3 times per day, fenugreek twice per day and drinking mothers tea. I had milk and plenty of it when I stuck to that regimen. I'm sure pumping would've helped but I have bad pumping association memories so I avoid my pump like the plague.

Advertisement

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #22
mama to 2 boyz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need help increasing my supply :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalb13 View Post
I use fenugreek 4 pills 3 x a day, blessed thistle 3 pills 3 x day, and domperidone (through the company already mentioned). Your story sounds a lot like mine, esp. the part about almost no increase in breast size during pregnancy or after milk "comes in." I also had the traumatic visit to the pedi. with my ODS, where I was shown how skinny his arm was and basically told that it was all my fault that my child was starving He's 5 now, and I still get teary when I think about it. With DD (who is 2 months) I was ready for the possibility of low suppy, so I started the supplements much earlier and was able to avoid a disappointing weight check. Good luck, mama!!! I know how hard it is....just remember that every bit you can give your baby is beneficial!
Are you able to take fenugreek and Domp at the same time? I just ordered domp 3rd lil guy is 8 months old and for some reason my supply is dipping other boys I fed to 18 months????
Old 06-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #23
Just2fornow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need help increasing my supply :(

You shouldn't have to take both. Dom should take care of the supply issue with no other supplements needed
Old 06-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #24
ahenson
Registered Users
seller

Something else that helps me is pumping one side while nursing on the other side. That tends to help the pumping side really let down, much better than pumping both sides at once when they are not full.