Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Artwork - instock/custom/semi-custom

Still on my quest for a wahm job. Art is what I love to do, it was my college major after all and the only thing I would consider going back to school/taking more classes for.

So I was wondering if there was any interest in my *style* of art. It's still evolving, and these pictures are terrible, I'm embarrassed to post them but it's what I have at the moment so here goes. Some are in progress as well. (It seems that I always think to take a picture when it's dark or cloudy outside.)

Examples:
Watercolor, my new found love

Acrylic:
This one is a work in progress.

Oil:
Another wip.

I have many other pieces I could use as examples, just no pictures of them right now. Really need to get a portfolio made.

Anyway I was thinking of offering greeting cards (like the watercolor ones shown above) as well as painting on canvas and masonite (a type of hardboard that would survive shipping + toddlers).

Opinions please?

Advertisement

lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
turbogirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Artwork - instock/custom/semi-custom

Wow - LOVE your style! You definitely have a gift!
Old 06-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
Glassgal
Registered Users

Honest opinion...please don't be offended by anything I say.

For the particular style you have the water color is not the best medium. Acrylic and oil because of the density of color and vibrant colors are a much better vehicle. The acrylic painting I like the best. Have you ever used Gouache? It's like water color but not nearly as weak color wise. It's more expensive and a little trickier to use as it can flake if not used right but the result is a much richer coloration. This is what I would use for things like cards in your style.

Your style is very graphic which there is definitely a market for. You do need to play to that.

My best advice other wise is look at more work by artists with a similar style. Check out art nouveau painters as they are quite similar in the stylization of nature. Also take a close look at the work of Albert Paley. Just for the lines and forms.

I really cannot stress how important it is for you to look at as much work as possible as well as keeping a sketch book on you at all times. Write down every idea, thought, sketch all the time. You will be amazed at how helpful this is when it comes time to make and finish an actual painting.

Sorry for the novel. I hope I was some help.

Last edited by Glassgal; 06-22-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Glassgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the constructive criticism, I don't mind at all! I love honsety too. I have heard of Guache but have never used it. I need to be better about my sketchbook too.

I do like the colors of acrylic and oil better than watercolor, I think I might stick to watercolor for quick sketch ideas then re-create with acrylic/oil.
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
Glassgal
Registered Users

Have you ever tried oil pastels with ink? They do some amazing things together especially because you can scrape and relay the oil pastel after inking. That would look really cool with the imagery you are using in the watercolors.