Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-22-2011, 07:21 AM   #1
mandymatus
Registered Users

My Mood:
help me prepare for natural childbirth

this is my second child. i had an induction with my first (she was past due) and ended up getting an epidural because of slow progression and back to back contractions early on. i was really afraid of labor and while i attended a childbirth class didn't get much out of it. i didn't do a lot of preparation on my own because it would cause me to lay awake in fear!

anyways, i thought if i were to study up a little better and prepare (and hopefully go into labor naturally) that i might be able to do things naturally....

any suggestions?

Advertisement

Old 06-22-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
nannabean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Have you read Ina Mays Guide to Childbirth?
I think it's a wonderful resource for natural childbirth. It has lots of information as well as many natural birth stories.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
slightlycrunchy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
You can absolutely do it! I was induced with both my babies, and through Hypnobabies was able to be unmedicated throughout my labor with both children! I would highly recommend hiring a doula and taking Hypnobabies classes. I would love to give you more information if you would like, just let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
slightlycrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
Rodeo Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: help me prepare for natural childbirth

Sounds a lot like my first labor. I've since had 2 natural births and planning for another in January. Read lots of positive birth stories, Ina May's Guide to Childbirth is great (although maybe a little hippie/out there in parts). I'm thinking about doing hypnobabies although I did fine without it the last 2 times. If you aren't induced, natural labor is much easier to deal with in my experience.
Amanda, wife to Andrew, mama to Dale , Olivia , Wyatt and Nora . Baby #5 due in late April.
Rodeo Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
Just2fornow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Alot of it has to do with believing in yourself. I know that sounds cheesy but if you deeply, truly believe that you can do then you can. Absolutely hire a doula who can be there to help walk you through the labor and try various things that can help you Good luck mama
Just2fornow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A positive attitude and trust in the birth process are invaluable. Of course there are things that can go wrong, but try not to listen to what anyone else is saying- listen to your body and do what feels best. Don't let other people tell you how you are feeling- YOU KNOW. Listen to your body and your baby.

I really feel that women can birth most effectively when they are allowed to birth undisturbed and they have confidence in their ability. That is not something that someone else can instill in you- you have to feel it in your heart.

Birth Matters, Ina May's new book, is also a great book. I haven't finished it yet, but I love it already.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
pnutandmunchkin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I second anything by Ina May. She is inspirational!! I also had the induced first birth by AROM which pushed me into a tail spin screaming for the epidural. With my ydd, I was prepared and refused any sort of medical intervention. I started the Hypnobabies Home Study at 32 weeks and practiced daily along with DH. What a difference it made. I was able to have the drug free/intervention free birth I always wanted. Know that you can do it and cleanse all the fear out of your mind. Good luck, mama!
Old 06-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #8
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

I'd find a doula that you really click with. A doula makes all the difference, in my books.

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:30 PM   #9
alix
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was induced with an epidural with my first and it was way worse then natural. I just had a baby in may, no Meds, and it was a completely different experience. My advice is to labor at home as long as possible, eat food, do light chores(dishes, clean counters, organize the fridge), watch a good movie, read your daughter some books, anything to keep you distracted. When you reached your limit, push it a little further, if possible. I was able to labor at home for twelve hours before going to the birth center and was dilated to seven by the time I got there. About one hour spend getting settled into my room and dealing with last minute paperwork and before I knew it it was time to push. Without Meds the contractions were worse then pushing and birth and by keeping myself at home and distracted (as well as minimizing my pain for my older sons sake) made all the difference. Good luck and do whatever you feel works for you.
alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:33 PM   #10
ashmomof4
Registered Users
seller

I can't recommend Bradley Method classes enough. They are amazing treasure troves of information-you need to sign up at least 12 wks before your due date to get them all in.
ashmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote