Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-23-2011, 05:23 AM   #11
mandymatus
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: help me prepare for natural childbirth

thanks for the suggestions! i'll look into the ina may books when i get a chance...no money to hire a doula, or bradley classes, that's why i thought i might read the books. was thinking about going to the library to find books on bradley method. i'm sure it's no replacement for the class, but might be better than nothing.

my wishes are no doubt to be at home as long as possible to be distracted!! i think that is possible if i go into labor naturally.

thanks again!

Advertisement

Old 06-23-2011, 06:31 AM   #12
Faithsa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I completely agree with reading the Ina May Gaskin's books. I'm reading her 'Guide to Childbirth' right now and I feel so empowered. I'm also going to be working with a Doula from a Midwifery school near here for at most $50 but they often waive that. You might look into that possibility. Doulas in training will often attend births for next to nothing to gain experience for their certification. I'm also doing the hypnobabies home study and loving that as well. I had an epi the first time and have a pretty low pain tolerance but I really feel that I can be successful going natural this time. I hope that you can have that experience also.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:36 AM   #13
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannabean View Post
Have you read Ina Mays Guide to Childbirth?
I think it's a wonderful resource for natural childbirth. It has lots of information as well as many natural birth stories.
I opened this thread to suggest the same thing. About 2-3 weeks before my second baby was due to be born I realized I wasn't fully prepared. My midwife gave me this book and it totally pumped me up and got me ready to give birth naturally.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:27 AM   #14
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymatus View Post
thanks for the suggestions! i'll look into the ina may books when i get a chance...no money to hire a doula, or bradley classes, that's why i thought i might read the books. was thinking about going to the library to find books on bradley method. i'm sure it's no replacement for the class, but might be better than nothing.

my wishes are no doubt to be at home as long as possible to be distracted!! i think that is possible if i go into labor naturally.

thanks again!
This is exactly what I did. I had mild contractions that got more intense and I sat around at my house and just told myself that it was early labor. I distracted myself by taking a shower and then a bath. After 4 hours of labor I started pushing and we barely made it to the hospital.

I think that being calm and convincing myself that I wasn't really in labor, and reading SO MANY birth stories and books (and having a well-positioned baby) are what made it go so quickly. Also, I didn't wake up my husband until the end, so mostly I was by myself. No distractions.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #15
mandymatus
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
This is exactly what I did. I had mild contractions that got more intense and I sat around at my house and just told myself that it was early labor. I distracted myself by taking a shower and then a bath. After 4 hours of labor I started pushing and we barely made it to the hospital.

I think that being calm and convincing myself that I wasn't really in labor, and reading SO MANY birth stories and books (and having a well-positioned baby) are what made it go so quickly. Also, I didn't wake up my husband until the end, so mostly I was by myself. No distractions.
i found a suggestion online about reading brith stories...where do i find this? also any other suggested books?
Old 06-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #16
MelodyB
Registered Users

I don't know about your hospital system, but ours has a volunteer doula program. It took a while to find one, but we secured ours finally!
MelodyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #17
nannabean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
This will be my first birth with a doula. We are trading services with her. We found each other on Craigslist. We met to see how we felt about each other and really just clicked. You may want to see if you could barter with a doula.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #18
eisleysmomma
Registered Users
seller

eisleysmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #19
papoosecaboose
Registered Users
seller

I'm 35 weeks and have been practicing HypnoBabies for several weeks now. This will be my first natural birth and I'm so excited about it. I spent $120 on ebay for the complete at-home course, included materials and the CD's you listen to. Plus, I'll be able to re-sell it after our LO arrives. I read a couple of Bradley method books and HypnoBabies teaches a lot of the same things. Eating a high-protein diet, posture, pregnancy exercises, positive thinking, and relaxation. The founder of HypnoBabies was previously a Bradley method instructor. HB's just seems to take it another step further by giving you the encouragement that you can have a pain-free birth. Every day you listen to a Pregnancy Affirmations CD and it truly does change your thinking. I have so far experienced my most pleasant pregnancy and am fully expecting a gentle, easy birth! My only regret is that I did not start sooner.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #20
papoosecaboose
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymatus View Post
i found a suggestion online about reading brith stories...where do i find this? also any other suggested books?
Here are some HypnoBabies birth stories. They are typically very positive and such a breath of fresh air to read compared to the average medical intervention birth stories.

Here's another set from Mom's who used the Home Study course.

There are also some neat YouTube videos of HypnoBirths (again, these are typically much more pleasant and affirming for you to watch - no one screaming in pain or thrashing about). EnjoyBirth has a nice collection of them. She is a doula and specializes in HypnoBabies births.