Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-23-2011, 07:34 AM   #1
martha.nelson
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Breast Feeding Mamma's Please Read This

I am disgusted with this company. Please do not support them. Mamma's who think they are DONATING their breast milk are being given false information. This company is SELLING the breast milk for a profit. I am a woman who can't make milk for my child due to ISG a medical issue that will not allow my body to store breast milk. I look for milk donation each time I have a child. I've paid once and it was $2.50 an ounce! Thank GOD for the women who have donated their breast milk without expecting a payment, knowing they are helping nourish a baby

http://justwestofcrunchy.com/2011/06/23/swindled-the-ugly-side-of-milk-donation/

Advertisement

Mommy of two perfect preemies, Olivia, Owen, & Lucia, expecting baby #4 October 2011! Wife to my best friend Matt.
martha.nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
Funnyfarmmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breast Feeding Mamma's Please Read This

OH that is just so so sad
Old 06-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #3
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Heard of them, I heard they sell the milk at $20 an ounce, that would be $600 a day to feed my youngest.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had to exclusively pump for DS2, and donated over 2000 oz through MilkShare. I did ask to be reimbursed for the milk storage bags (those are expensive, especially when donating large quantities, like I did).

I looked into donating through Prolacta, after dealing with a particularly rude mama on MilkShare (she told me I was greedy for asking her to either replace the storage bags, or reimburse me for them).

It plainly states on their website that they sell the milk to hospital NICU's, after it is pasteurized. It also says they are a for-profit company, otherwise they wouldn't be able to remain in operation. They have to screen each potential donor, and rescreen continuous donors every four months, pasteurize the breastmilk and fortify it for premature babies. I *think* they also provide donors with a breast pump, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

If a mama feels swindled by the company, chances are it's because she didn't do thorough research before donating.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Prolacta is the only for profit breastmilk donations.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:05 AM   #6
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
Prolacta is the only for profit breastmilk donations.
That's why I didn't donate to them. I went through MilkShare, because the idea of charging someone who needed my breastmilk made me kind of sad.

But they really aren't swindling, or scamming, anyone - they're providing a service, and they're honest about charging for the breastmilk. Donors should do thorough research before choosing a company to donate through... that way, they can be sure they're knowledgable, and comfortable with the company's business practices.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama.timms View Post
That's why I didn't donate to them. I went through MilkShare, because the idea of charging someone who needed my breastmilk made me kind of sad.

But they really aren't swindling, or scamming, anyone - they're providing a service, and they're honest about charging for the breastmilk. Donors should do thorough research before choosing a company to donate through... that way, they can be sure they're knowledgable, and comfortable with the company's business practices.
Yup I donate mother to mother. I don't want anyone to have to pay for my breastmilk. I've been the recipient before, mother to mother. My insurance doesn't cover milk donations, so I would never be able to have fed my child full time on BM with that price.

I do believe Prolacta is being up front, they say they are a for profit BM donations, and seem to be proud of that. I think some people may have been confused and that is why some people are up in arms about it. I personally do not agree with it, but that's why I do mother to mother instead. Not everyone has the same morals.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #8
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
Yup I donate mother to mother. I don't want anyone to have to pay for my breastmilk. I've been the recipient before, mother to mother. My insurance doesn't cover milk donations, so I would never be able to have fed my child full time on BM with that price.

I do believe Prolacta is being up front, they say they are a for profit BM donations, and seem to be proud of that. I think some people may have been confused and that is why some people are up in arms about it. I personally do not agree with it, but that's why I do mother to mother instead. Not everyone has the same morals.
I feel the same way. The women I donated to through MilkShare were unable to produce breastmilk, and their babies had a medical need for it. Charging them for something their babies needed, and they weren't physically able to provide, seems almost immoral to me.

I know that Prolacta sells their milk to hospital NICUs... does anyone know if the NICU parents are charged for the breastmilk? I would guess they are, or maybe their insurance (if it even covers it, which not many do). That makes me sad . I won't be pumping for this new baby, but if I did, I would love to donate again. There's no better feeling than donating something so precious!
Old 06-23-2011, 09:03 AM   #9
aerobebe1421
Registered Users
seller

Human Milk 4 Human Babies on FB has chapters for each state, and it's mother-to-mother. It's the only place I've donated. I get the "please replace my bags" stand, but to charge for it just would make me feel so uncomfortable. The latest mama I donated to (I've donated to two) has had to pay for milk from a milk bank and she was paying $5/ounce..
expecting someone new 11.14
aerobebe1421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:09 AM   #10
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobebe1421 View Post
Human Milk 4 Human Babies on FB has chapters for each state, and it's mother-to-mother. It's the only place I've donated. I get the "please replace my bags" stand, but to charge for it just would make me feel so uncomfortable. The latest mama I donated to (I've donated to two) has had to pay for milk from a milk bank and she was paying $5/ounce..
So you don't ask to be reimbursed for your storage bags? I thought it was common courtesy for the recipients to do that, since the donors are providing the milk for free? I donated over 2000 oz, and that was usually split up 3-4 oz/bag. I couldn't afford not to ask for replacement/reimbursement.