Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-23-2011, 11:28 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
I'm sorry you're dealing with this.

All mothers milk decreases in iron around the 6-month mark. It's normal. Your milk isn't deficient, it's normal milk. I bet her iron levels increase with these supps!

SAHM to my July 2007 DD and Sept 2010 DS, SAHWife to my DH. ISO: BG organic cotton aio, Sposoeasy L, Simplex L, all boysih/GN. Girls Stride Rite 13 or larger, Boys 6 or larger.
Bethan_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:45 PM   #12
Registered Users
Re: My DD was just diagnosed as being anemic...

make sure the oj you give it with isn't oj with calcium. You want to avoid calcium containing foods as they compete with the iron and you want to give it with vitamin c. Cooking with cast iron ware can help too. Red meat, spinach, collard greens (not as nasty as they may sound), lentils, beans, hummus, liver (nasty but you never know), black strap molasses, chia seeds, alfalfa, chloryphyll, dried apricots (YUM!), raisins. Just offer several of these several times a day. Look into a really good iron supplement for kids. ferrous gluconate is the best form IMO for kids with gut issues. ferrous sulfate is pretty useless IME with kids. b vitamins play a huge role in anemia too.
My Knitting Gallery
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:14 AM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: My DD was just diagnosed as being anemic...

Thanks for the info and thoughts. I did talk to the GI doc yesterday. We were going to schedule a scope for her to check upper and lower gi but when I told him about how her poops changed this weekend he felt like the bleeding was more likely related to her being constipated. I told him I was worried about her iron after her apt on Thursday so I started taking a supplement myself. He did mention that with me taking a supplement sometimes she could get constipated from it. She had blood on Fri and then again on Monday with a harder poop. She did not poop her usual poops all weekend and then yesterday she had a normal soft and runnier stool and no blood. The GI doc thinks that her anemia is most likely related to her diet. Since she is allergic to many iron rich foods she is not getting much. And she doesn't eat an iron enriched formula, cereal or milk. Just BM. It is so hard to get her to drink any juice or liquid other than BM and water. We are testing her for an apple allergy and apple juice is in everything so maybe that's why she hesitates with juice.

He said he wants to hold off on her scope right now to let her iron levels stabilize. He is a really good doctor and has been doing this for many years. The nurse said she would trust his instincts but if we really wanted to scope we could. I think we will see if the iron gets her levels up and if they don't get better in a month we will have to pursue other options. I am still a little uneasy about it but we are meeting with a nutritionist at Children's next week so hopefully she will be of help to us.
Loving wife to Ken and mommy to Madilyn 09/09/07 and Aurora 3/9/10

Wildtree consultant-feed your family healthier
abaigeal is offline   Reply With Quote