Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-22-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
piccolabambola
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
BG 4.0 woes! (long)

I was so in love with this diaper when DD was big enough for a one size at around 3 months. I initially bought 3, then 6 more, then 5 more went into the rotation.

Now, DD's 9 months old and I'm in BG 4.0 hell!

First, they started to leak at nighttime at around 6 months, so I bought some Joey Bunz hemp doublers which solved the problem at first.

Then, they started to leak in daytime (after very short time wearing), so I Rocked a Soak every now and then to fight buildup and repelling, which seemed to work for a day or two.

Then, I couldn't get a good fit anymore - except for with my brand new ones, I got crazy leg gapping every time. My DD is 9 months and skinny - only 15lbs. So...I snapped down the rise to the smallest newborn setting a few weeks ago and that seemed to work, although they are really low around the thighs. No more gapping, a bit less leaking...

Then, for daytime the 2 inserts (MF) they come with just couldn't cut the mustard, so I decided to try stuffing with prefolds.

I'm using my beloved Bummis OG infant PFs (with the Joey Bunz hemp doubler underneath for nighttime). This worked great the first 2-3 nights but the ammonia smell is bad (surprising, as I thought ammonia would be more a microfiber issue).

So tonight, I go to put the superstuffed diaper on DD - and the legs gap! I try this, I try that - I pull, I tweak - I drive my sleepy DD crazy - and the darn thing is still gapping. It's my only stay dry dipe for night, and I'm just ready to throw these all on FSOT!

I've only been using these dipes for 3-6 months, depending on which ones went into rotation first. It seems a bit early for the elastic to have gone, right? Is it just my own DD's body type? I'm really frustrated!

Advertisement

piccolabambola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
gooshi78
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: BG 4.0 woes! (long)

i would replace the elastic on one and if it makes them work well again go back and do all of them... BTW are all of your BG acting up?
gooshi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
Housefullofgirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

HUGS!! I learned with my last daughter that baby's bodies change several times before potty training. I had a whole stash of mostly bg which was 50 OS. Well twice once at about 10 months and the next at 14 months she would have terrible red marks and chaffing on the thighs and rub burns on her belly from the velcro so inbetween I used mostly fb's but had some HH, drybee's and a few others that worked great. After ebayed my BG's when she got to 14 months and had the same problem so I could buy more fb's. So I guess I'm saying I'd buy a few other diapers cheap on FOST or HC and see how they work. It might be just BG and how they fit your DD right now (although my skinny 10wk old who only weighs 10lbs and some change fits fine in the OS. No gapping)but in the mean time you need something to work.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
lovelylaurie
Registered Users
seller

I have been using sized fitted diapers with my kids because they are super heavy wetters and need a good absorbent diaper.
lovelylaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
hampyfew
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Are these snaps or velcro? If the elastic seems to be ok, try angling how you fasten them...if velcro, point the tabs up on the diagonal to get them more snug around the thighs. If snaps, you can snap the thighs tighter than the waist.

As for leaking, DS outgrew the absorbency for naps on these pretty quickly. Even stuffed with the hemp insert (although I have the 3.0 AIOs...). And as a daytime diaper they are ok, but MF is prone to compression leaks. Maybe that is what is happening with you?
hampyfew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
OzarkCountryMomma
Registered Users
seller

I find that sometimes snaping the legs, but leaving the middle rise snap makes a difference. I don't know why, but it does. I think I needed the smaller snap on the legs to keep them from leaking, but yet I think the middle snap was giving me compression leaks. Since I started doing this, my leaks have all but stoped. I have another diaper, not BG that the legs are super tight and I have to snap the middle, but leave the legs open. Go figure. You might give it a try.
OzarkCountryMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #7
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well what is your wash routine and what detergent are you using? You should not be having so many leaks and the ammonia either. If you are having ammonia it's because they just aren't getting clean enough. Could the wash routine be hurting the elastic as well? We've had the same BG 3.0 for several years and they are still going strong. The elastic is relaxed but nothing leaks. Do you have the snaps or velcro?

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:46 AM   #8
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

THe BG 4.0's are a slightly larger diaper than the 3.0's...my dd is almost 11 months/16 lbs and I can only get these to fit her on the smallest rise snap, with the velcro pretty snug. But they finally work! I wish I had kept more or them, I sold off all but 1 b/c I could not get them to fit around her legs either.

ETA: when both of my babies were smaller I got leaks w/bg's b/c they were not tight enough...something about there has to be pressure for the pee to go through the suedecloth...

also, for nights, i got some Mommy Touch OS pockets from Clothdiaperclearance.com and they fit for us for nights. They are the only pocket I could use on either kid without getting leg gaps. I can put 2 BGOS inserts in them no problem. I cannot get a double stuffed BG to fit to save my life though.
and M

Last edited by alaskamum; 06-23-2011 at 04:59 AM.
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:53 AM   #9
*Summer*
Registered Users
seller

I went through almost the exact same thing with my ds in BG 4.0's! Our problem was just because he needed more absorbancy though, but we got gapping and all sorts of problems from using different inserts. I finally ended up selling them all and restashing because they just didn't work for him anymore. I was sad because I really loved them.

Last edited by *Summer*; 06-23-2011 at 06:55 AM.
*Summer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
piccolabambola
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

First off, thank you all so much for your thoughtful replies! I have been busy with a "spotty" daughter, after she reacted to an early MMR vaccine mandated for intl. travel.

gooshi78 - are elastics hard to replace on ones own? I put the final 5 of my BG's into rotation 4-5 months after the first 9, and their elastic is still very tight. Is it normal for the elastics to relax in just 6 months under a benign wash routine?

nonipie - my wash routine is very simple. We have a top loader and just use Rockin' Green Unscented. We do a cold short cycle rinse, a long hot wash with 3TBSP Rockin' Green, then an extra cold rinse. Our covers and pocket covers are always line dried. Might have had one stinky hemp insert that caused the ammonia, but it's not usually a problem for us esp. since we're getting away from microfiber.

hampyfew - we're doing all snaps with the BG's - DD is too clever and rips velcro dipes right off rrrrrrrrrriiip!

So, the update is, DD is also a tall and skinny girl with not super chunky thighs. I tried a RaRs that we got free from KC on her tonight, and there is no leg gapping. I know that is a much smaller OS dipe (which is why we didn't invest in them as we wanted our stash to last! LOL!). I have a OS Fuzzibunz to try also - wish I had known about their OS system before I invested...their elastic looks awesome.

Also, I've been having better luck for nights using her newest 5 BGs (with the tightest elastics) stuffed with an infant OG cotton prefold and a joeybunz hemp doubler - now I know to just snap it down to the smallest rise (crazy for 9 months!) and am fastening them super tight. It looks like she has a club sandwich in her pants, but if I snap it really tight there is less to no gapping. Don't know how that will be when she starts crawling though???

Sigh, hopefully she'll chub up into them now that she's eating pasta! I feel that might save us as like I said, she used to fit into these when she was more roly poly.
piccolabambola is offline   Reply With Quote