Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-22-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Crying and fussing while nursinf

So, dd is 4 months old and eats like a champ at night. She wakes up, latches on, takes long deep pulls and empties a breast. Back to sleep

But during the day it's like an Olympic sport. She constantly pulls off the breast, kicks her legs and flails her arms. She cries and turns her head away, then turns back to latch on and suck for a couple of seconds. Repeat. This can go on for hours if I let it.

I thought it was positioning, so we've tried all different positions. Even when we lay down (like at night) she does this. I'm worried she's not getting enough to eat during the day.

Sometimes she will calm down but instead of eating she will just comfort nurse. Which I'm fine with but it got to a point where she was comfort nursing 4+ hours in a day and I couldn't take it. My nipples were on fire. So I tried again with a pacifier and she finally took it on Monday. I thought maybe that would help her also to understand that when she's at my breast it's to eat. It hasn't. Now I feel horrible every time I give her a pacifier, even though my nipples are just beginning to feel better.

When she's latched I always make sure she's latched on correctly with her head right infront of my breast. Can anyone think of something I'm doing wrong? I'm really worried about her intake during the day.

Advertisement

Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Anybody have any ideas? I know I've seen similar threads on this but I can't remember what the responses were. Maybe an overactive letdown? I don't know, but any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
redhairboy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Crying and fussing while nursinf

gosh I am having similar trouble with my 5 month old. He pops off the breast all day long, on and off and will cry at times. The only the thing I have found to work for him is to put him in a wrap and he nurses this way just fine. Its like he want to be tight against me where he can't move much. It is so hard and I thought it was because he hears my 3 yo and wants to see what he is doing but he does this in a dark, quiet room. He just started doing this around 4 months old.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhairboy
gosh I am having similar trouble with my 5 month old. He pops off the breast all day long, on and off and will cry at times. The only the thing I have found to work for him is to put him in a wrap and he nurses this way just fine. Its like he want to be tight against me where he can't move much. It is so hard and I thought it was because he hears my 3 yo and wants to see what he is doing but he does this in a dark, quiet room. He just started doing this around 4 months old.
How does he nurse at night?

This is the part that confuses me the most about my dd, she nurses so good at night so I know she can do it. But it seems during the day shes just not happy. But on the other hand if I dont nurse her she yells for it. So confusing!!!!!!
Old 06-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
redhairboy
Registered Users

My Mood:

He nurses pretty good at night too. The other night he cried pulling off and on all night too but that was just that night. I thought maybe teething but I really don't think that is it yet.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Well I hope some experienced bfing mamas can give us some helpful suggestions. There is a bosom buddies class near my house that I might attend. It's early and were late sleepers so I was trying to avoid it, but gotta do what you gotta do!
Old 06-23-2011, 10:30 PM   #7
CallysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I don't nurse but I've had 2 babies with acid reflux and it's only during feedings. My second born is a good eater only at night. There's a wedge you can buy for nursing a refluxer.
CallysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:52 AM   #8
Ecomoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like reflux to me. My daughter did the SAME thing. Does she vomit a lot? If so is it perjecting?

Babies with reflux "eat" all the time because the sucking is soothing. Just as a pacifier is to a baby with reflux. But when they get to the breast it also hurts. Try eating with heartburn. Gagging is a sign too. When you have reflux its hard to swallow sometimes.

I would take a note of it all and ask the doctor. Until then try putting a pillow under her while she nurses. Burping is very important too, specially if she is vomiting.
Ecomoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:31 AM   #9
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Hm.. I thought she might have some reflux during her colicky stage. But no, she does not vomit and spits up rarely, I'd say average to below average.

I wonder though if she's just got "heartburn" with no vomiting.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
Ecomoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yea, they can. Not everyone throws up from it. Thats usually the biggest sign though. Its call silent reflux :http://www.pollywogbaby.com/refluxandcolic/reflux.html

Colic is often what is diagnosed.
Ecomoma is offline   Reply With Quote