Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-22-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
leopardgirl
Registered Users
seller

1999 Jeep - New question, post #3. Cowmoo hot? vs. Riviera?

Hi mamas & daddies,

May I pick your brains?

We own a 1999 Jeep Cherokee with a narrow bench-like back seat. There is no LATCH system. Both of us are average height and we need a convertible seat for our 8mo old, average height/wt DS. I would like to RF him as long as possible.

If cost was not an option, which would you recommend? What are the pros/cons?

The 3 I've looked at very briefly are the Britax Marathon, True Fit Premier, and Radian XT. DH liked the Evenflo Triumph Advance he saw in a store, but I don't know much about it (I think he picked it for the color ).

I apologize if this is a repeat question, but I've been pouring over this forum until I can't keep anything straight anymore. (So much info!!) I thought I might just start from scratch!

TIA for any advice.....

Advertisement

Last edited by leopardgirl; 07-05-2011 at 10:13 AM. Reason: new question
leopardgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

The best thing to do now is try them in your car! Most bru allow you to take them out.

Sent from my EVO using DS Forum
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
leopardgirl
Registered Users
seller

Re: 1999 Jeep Cherokee - Ready for a Convertible - Advice, please?

Thanks, mama.

We decided on the Boulvard 70. I really like the onyx color combo, but DS gets soooooo hot & sweaty in his bucket & I heard that the onyx is sort of plastic-y like his keyfit. Plastic feel + black would be awful in S. Florida, I bet.

The Britax rep recommended riviera - she thought cow might be too hot because it's all velour. She described the center of the riviera as upholstry similar to an "old sofa with a floral print".

I was wondering, have any of you tried both the riviera & cowmooflage? Do you think cowmoo would be too hot in Miami? Is velour that much hotter than "old sofa"?

(They only had cavalier at BRU.)

TIA for any advice!

Last edited by leopardgirl; 07-05-2011 at 10:14 AM.
leopardgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: 1999 Jeep - New question, post #3. Cowmoo hot? vs. Riviera?

I'd rec against ANY of the "plush" covers (CowMoo is plush). Think of it as sitting in a big, thick, polyester blanket in the middle of the summer. It's HOT. I don't know Riviera, but the onyx is actually freq rec'd on carseat.org for areas with high temps, b/c the slick (vinyl or nylon, I'm not sure which) material is cooler in the summer than the plush fabrics.

FWIW, we have a plush and HATE it during the summer (we're in SoCal). My kids get super-hot in that seat. My pref is for their cotton covers, but, afaik, they don't make them anymore and the old ones won't fit the "70" seats. (We have the "65" seats).
Old 07-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have the Cowmoo and don't find it any hotter than the Onyx. It's not dark, so I think that helps some. We also have a plush cover on our Marathon 70 and DD doesn't get super hot in that either. We don't have weeks on end of hot weather, but we do get stretches of 85-90 in the summer months.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
CrazyBoysMamma
Registered Users

My Mood:

The cotton ones are the best, but as PP said, they don't have any for the new seats. I have cowmoo seats and an onyx seat and honestly they're both hot.

Will you be my Swag friend? Pretty please?http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/CrazyBoysMamma
CrazyBoysMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #7
leopardgirl
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the great advice!

I was able to make the trek to Buy Buy Baby today & they had all the fabrics (except the BRU one). I didn't care for the Riviera at all. "Old floral sofa" was a VERY accurate description! I'm glad I saw it in person before ordering it.

The trip made things a even more confusing, though, because they carry the Radian XTSL with a grey open mesh fabric (sport). That with its lower sides makes it look like it would be the coolest of all.

Aaaagh. I had no idea this would be so difficult! At this rate he'll be ready for his booster before I decide!

Thanks for your tips, mamas. Keep 'em coming if you have any thoughts on Britax vs. Radian! (we won't need to transfer this seat if that makes a difference)
Old 07-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #8
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

The open sides DO make the Radian cooler. We have 2 xtsls and they are "plush"-type fabric, but my DD doesn't sweat in them the way she did in the Britax (and the way my son does in the Britax). The space around the child in the Truefit also makes it much cooler. My DS MUCH prefers his TFP over the Blvd.

Have you tried the other seats in your car? How much does your LO weigh?
Old 07-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #9
leopardgirl
Registered Users
seller

We didn't try the TFP or the Radian in the car, but we did try the EFTA, the MyRide & Boulevard. They all fit in our jeep.

I'm not sure of his ht/wt (his check-up is next week) but I think he's around 29in./22lb.

I've heard great things about the TFP. My only reason for narrowing down to Britax/Radian was the RF tether. I know not much has been proven one way or the other about it, but the bench of our rear seat flips forward very easily. I guess I feel that, should there be a seatbelt failure, at least the tether will keep the bench from opening & the carseat from ejecting. (????)

I guess I should say that daily ease-of-use is a factor, too. I frequently see DS in his bucket wearing twisted/too loose straps when DH gets him ready. He says he "couldn't figure out how to fix it" or "I'll fix it when we get there". I don't mind a difficult install (if correct), but I know if strapping DH in gets too 'difficult' it won't get done right no matter what I say.

Getting him into both the Blvd & Radian seemed easy enough in the store, but I KNOW that's not real life! Any thoughts?
Old 07-07-2011, 11:10 PM   #10
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Personally, I think the Radian is one of the hardest seats to use daily. I HATED the one I had. I have used tons of seats over the years, was even a car seat technician and I was nearly in tears on more than one occasion trying to tighten the Radian harness. It is supposed to ratchet and just does not work well. My old Marathon is a ratchet and is much, much easier. Everyone says, "oh, just don't tighten/loosen everytime". Um, no, that does not work for me. I just cannot squish DD in without readjusting. I briefly traded my Marathon 70 for a Radian. Worst.mistake.ever. So glad I got my seat back.