Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Opening my store... etsy or hyenacart?

I've seen so many mamas on hienacart lately. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the two? And why they prefer one over the other? Or, if you only have experience with one, what do you like about it? What do you not like?

Thanks so much in advance!

Advertisement

threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:42 AM   #2
Made of Fleece
Registered Users
Formerly: cidcatrichards
seller

Re: Opening my store... etsy or hyenacart?

Made of Fleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
JellEBeanDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

think it depends on what you are doing IMHO They are both super saturated and with etsy you will have a wider base because EVERYONE uses Etsy while only some use HC I have an etsy and a website I use SEO with my site and have had random middleof the night sales with it where I have never sold anything on etsy I would invest in your own site I use ShoppePro and host through godaddy and I have like 11 a month which is fine. I need something with features since we have wholesale accounts it keeps track of my inventory and looks professional. I do a good amount in sales a month IRL so having something that looks professional to open up to the interweb is nice plus the staff is amazing
JellEBeanDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
Ecomoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you are using etsy take my advice and do your research. Its really not as simple as it seems. If its diapers you are selling, I have gotten the advice that hyenacart is better.
Ecomoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

So funny, I clicked on this out of curiousity, forgetting I posted the thread! Surprised to see my username and even more surprised to see I started the thread!!

Thanks for the advice! I would like to have my own site but I'm way in the beginning stages of all this so I don't want to invest all the time and $ neccesary in that.
Opted for hyenacart, and actually opened my store today It's not stocked yet or anything I just wanted to get the web address so I could order business cards
Made the decision based on the cost factor, and also because I've heard a lot of mamas say there is too much traffic on etsy, so much that they are overlooked. I figure I'll get most of my traffic from marketing.

Hopefully this thread will keep getting responses, it seems like there are tons of mamas wanting to sell their items having this same question.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
kat1205
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hyenacart confuses me, and didn't get sales much on Etsy, I love doing facebook though!
Old 07-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
Chessie
Registered Users
seller

I love Hyena cart. I only have to pay $5 a month versus a charge on every item I sell. I like that the look of my shop is more personalized. And I think if you sell diapers and natural parenting oriented items it does really well there. I think its a smaller amount of traffic but it's a more select traffic that's looking for these kinds of items. But that's just me.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
littleleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
seller
seller

My Mood:

I only have an Etsy store, and I sell wool, not diapers. While the fees on Etsy are higher, I do find that the search engine is way better, so people who are looking for these things can actually find them. The audience on Etsy is bigger, but HC is the place for cloth diapers.

I think running a WAHM business is hard work, nomatter where you host your store. I personally just liked the ready-made tools that Etsy provides, and I don't mind the lack of personalization. HC confuses me, and I think it's tough to start a new store there unless you can build a following somewhere else (like here at DS!). I like certain shops at HC, and I like the congos, but trying to search for something and actually find it is not easy.
SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #9
Chickadee & Me
Registered Users
Formerly: Scifisarah
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleleaf View Post
I only have an Etsy store, and I sell wool, not diapers. While the fees on Etsy are higher, I do find that the search engine is way better, so people who are looking for these things can actually find them. The audience on Etsy is bigger, but HC is the place for cloth diapers.

I think running a WAHM business is hard work, nomatter where you host your store. I personally just liked the ready-made tools that Etsy provides, and I don't mind the lack of personalization. HC confuses me, and I think it's tough to start a new store there unless you can build a following somewhere else (like here at DS!). I like certain shops at HC, and I like the congos, but trying to search for something and actually find it is not easy.
I sell recycled wool as well and really like Etsy. I have a HC for custom orders but never stock anything there. It is just a headache to deal with imo. It seems like even though there is a lot of competition in diapers and wool on Etsy, but even so I think as long as you offer a quality product there is enough traffic that it won't matter. I've looked at yours and other woolies Etsy stores, and we all seem to do pretty well on there.

Chickadee & Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #10
tomboyknits
Registered Users
Formerly: puppygirl13
seller

My Mood:

I didn't read the other comments, so I'm sorry if this is repetitive...

I've had a shop on etsy for almost 2 years, and a shop on hyenacart for about 2 months. I found etsy to be much easier to just get going in listing and selling stuff. It's much more user friendly than HC, and gets a lot more random traffic. I also like how's there's a history of your items (as far as I can tell, HC doesn't really do this). Also, you can upload your photos directly to etsy without having to pay extra.

I ended up opening my HC shop when I started making more sales and my fees started creeping up to $25 a month - I'd much rather pay $5 a month on HC, lol... There are some other features, too - I like that I can list all my items in my HC shop early and have them preview for a few days, and I like doing giveaways using the "drawing" style listing. Also, the option of auctions is nice, should I ever decide to use it. I also like that you can set your shop up to look unique.

I think HC intimidates (or confuses?) some people, though, and I've noticed people don't leave feedback as readily...

They seem to be equally easy to list items. Just my 2 cents

Good luck!

* hyena cart * etsy shop * ravelry * facebook *

Releasing my Tomboy Overalls knitting pattern Feb 17!
tomboyknits is offline   Reply With Quote