View Poll Results: Who is at fault?
as the parent you are. you should watch your child closer. 26 17.11%
the park employee who opened the gate 75 49.34%
a little of both 51 33.55%
other 0 0%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
WWYD? Safety issue at sprayground.UPDATE

UPDATE
official word is that the girl should NOT have let dd out of the gate. the admins at the parks department(the one i talked to is a mother) were very upset over this incident. More so by the fact that the gate keeper told them that dh later said that he had told dd she could go to the playground(no way in HECK! the 6 year old isnt even allowed on a playground with out us AND dh wasnt there until after i saw her outside the gate) they will be implementing a new system to keep kids safer(no idea what it is yet though) so yes, it was the girls job to keep the gate closed and not to let children out unless an adult was there requesting they exit. (as in if dh was at the pavilion a few feet away and said she could come out). yes, next time i will double check that the gate keeper knows not to let my children out(and my child is very aware of the consequences of leaving without mommy or daddy) but in this case the park and its employees were at fault(by their admission) and steps will be made to make sure it doesnt happen again.

ok we went to the sprayground one city over for a bday party today and im soooooo upset. here's the email i just sent the director of the parks department:
Quote:
I was very excited when we arrived here for a friend's birthday party. There was shade, various age level appropriate sprayers and seemingly competent staff. My opinion soon changed though. We were assured that the 2 gates were staffed/monitored and saw that the one to the pavilion was even locked unless the birthday party group needed in/out. As i was at one end of the sprayground with my baby, watching my 3 and 4 year old play across the play area, i wasnt even worried that they were 20 feet away. I could see them and they couldnt get out, or so i thought. As i watched my 3 year old, she walked up to the LOCKED gate and the teenage staff member unlocked and opened it and LET HER OUT!!!!!! ALONE. It took me a second to comprehend what i saw and i started towards the gate(now locked again). By the time i got through the gate my preschooler was on the other side of the playground!!! I thank God she didnt head into the busy parking lot just feet away The staff member's only response was that she thought she was going to a parent. The adult manager very rudely informed me that it was not their job to "babysit". Babysit? no, not at all. But it is also not their job to assist my child into moving traffic. The fence and workers stationed at the gates give a false sense of security. In reality they will make no effort to keep children in, even children who are obviously not with a parent. I saw 2 other small children(under 5 years) walk out of the gate without a parent in the next 10 minutes before i left, disgusted. We will not be returning and will not be recommending the spray ground to our friends.
i was livid when we left. we went to the PD and filed a complaint and they gave me the number/email to contact.
What is your opinion? I definitely dont think they should EVER let a child out(keep in mind she was alone, not with a group or another child. alone) i certainly did not expect them to watch my child but to let her out of the enclosure?!?!?!?!?

ETA the parking lot was closer than the playground, like the other side of a side walk mere feet away. she definitely could have made it there in the time it took me to get to the gate and out of the gate.

Advertisement

JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops

Last edited by shortcake2386; 06-27-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: WWYD? Safety issue at sprayground.

They let the kids out of the locked gate, unsupervised
Idiots, why do they think it's locked?
That had to be the stupidest answer ever, what if you were disabled, or heavily pregnant, unable to run after the kids, and they were killed in traffic? Totally ridiculous.
I hope you get a good apology and they re train the teens at the gate, no kids allowed through unless they are accompanied by an adult, not even if they are looking for someone.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
They let the kids out of the locked gate, unsupervised
Idiots, why do they think it's locked?
That had to be the stupidest answer ever, what if you were disabled, or heavily pregnant, unable to run after the kids, and they were killed in traffic? Totally ridiculous.
I hope you get a good apology and they re train the teens at the gate, no kids allowed through unless they are accompanied by an adult, not even if they are looking for someone.
yeah. i was watching her. but i was watching to make sure she was nice and considerate. my mind wasnt thinking that i had to keep her in the fence bc it was locked
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
Old 06-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That is beyond ridiculous. If they have staff at the gates to monitor people entering and leaving then they are 100% responsible for letting a child go through the gate alone. Before opening the gate they need to ask the child where their parent/guardian is. ReDONKulous!!!!!
Old 06-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ok, if you answer "a little of both", you must respond to why......b/c I'm that would have any votes. Not trying to be snarky......seriously! I just don't know how the parent could be at fault when they have staff members at the locked gates. To me, it is obvious that if a young child wants to go through a locked gate they should have an adult with them and if not, then one would inquire as to where their adult is.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #6
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane View Post
Ok, if you answer "a little of both", you must respond to why......b/c I'm that would have any votes. Not trying to be snarky......seriously! I just don't know how the parent could be at fault when they have staff members at the locked gates. To me, it is obvious that if a young child wants to go through a locked gate they should have an adult with them and if not, then one would inquire as to where their adult is.
no i kind of get it. maybe i should have kept her closer. but as a huge helicopter mam i was trying to loosen up. i guess in the future(not there but elsewhere) i will keep them all with me, or within a few feet. i did take off when i saw the worker let her out of the gate but by the time i made it across the play area, the gate was locked again and i had to wait for her to fumble with the key.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcake2386 View Post
no i kind of get it. maybe i should have kept her closer. but as a huge helicopter mam i was trying to loosen up. i guess in the future(not there but elsewhere) i will keep them all with me, or within a few feet. i did take off when i saw the worker let her out of the gate but by the time i made it across the play area, the gate was locked again and i had to wait for her to fumble with the key.
I don't think so. It is an enclosed and locked gate area. Really, if you have more than 1 mobile child you can not be near them all the time. They should be able to run free in a [supposedly] enclosed and locked area with other children.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

i'm one of the ones who put a little of both. i guess i'm not sure why you didn't say anything/shout/go to your daughter as she walked to the gate to try and leave. i'm sure if the person watching the gate had heard you telling her not to go to the gate she wouldn't have been let out. (or at least i hope not)
Old 06-25-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia.aline View Post
i'm one of the ones who put a little of both. i guess i'm not sure why you didn't say anything/shout/go to your daughter as she walked to the gate to try and leave. i'm sure if the person watching the gate had heard you telling her not to go to the gate she wouldn't have been let out. (or at least i hope not)
the spray structures go almost to the gate, like a 1 foot space between the water and gate. i saw her at the water/mushrooms over there and checked to make sure the gate was shut/locked and someone was watching it. since it was locked and the worker was there i wasnt concerned. i mistakenly thought she was safe. i choose to be by the gate that was open and unlocked bc the other looked "safe".
Old 06-25-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No, that's crazy, the staff member shouldn't have let a toddler out of the area without a parent present.

If it makes you feel better(or madder), my then toddler was once playing in a mall play area in the toddler part. There was a half wall with stuff for them to play with on the wall and he went in one side and I got a funny feeling and literally seconds later peeked over and he wasn't there! Turns out the railings to keep the toddlers in behind that(it was a corner) was missing 2 or 3 railings and he had gotten out, went into picutre people and I found him about 5/10 mins later sitting in a prop boat with an elmo.

I was livid that a "toddler play area" would be missing the safety rails to keep them in? Obviously I complained immediately and they said they were in the midst of getting a new play area(months away). I said I didn't care and they need to fix it now or he could have ended up in the water fountain. Next time they had mdf/wood all rigged up on the missing rails so the toddlers couldn't get out.

Some people just don't think, I'm sure that staff member got a stern talking too about lack of thinking.
Closed Thread