Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-25-2011, 11:21 PM   #1
wildsissy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question How old was your breastfed/bed sharing LO the first time you spent a night away?

DD will be 1 on Tuesday.. 7/3 is my wedding anniversary and DD is still nursing way more than eating solids. She does eat some solids but most days I offer her solids for breakfast and she just plays with them and then nurses for a big part of the morning then does eat some solids for lunch and dinner.

She nurses for naps and to go to sleep at night, has never taken a bottle or pacifier. I was separated from her for 2 nights when she was 3 months old due to me being ill and hospitalized. My DH & mom took her home those nights and she cried/screamed for pretty much the entire time she was away from me.

I'm looking at my wedding anniversary coming next week and thinking to myself.. well.. maybe next year my hubby and I will be able to go away for just 1 night... but then who knows where she will be in a year either as far as nursing down to sleep.

so just wondering.. anyone else in my situation.. how old was your LO when you were able to take a night away...???

Advertisement

wildsissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
Qbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How old was your breastfed/bed sharing LO the first time you spent a night away?

We left my DS overnight (for 3 days and 2 nights) for the first time when he was 19 months. My mom came to stay with him at our house so he was very comfortable being in his own zone. And he's wild about my mom so that made it easy too. He was still nursing at night and co-sleeping. My mom slept with him but there was no milk to be had. I never pumped. When I returned my DS went right back to nursing like we had never even been apart.
Maybe you and your DH can get at least a nice evening out together this year if you don't feel comfortable doing a night away yet. I'm sure next year, whether your LO is still BFing or not, you and your DH will get a whole night away (if not longer). I hope you have a lovely anniversary no matter how you spend it
Old 06-26-2011, 12:26 AM   #3
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

Re: How old was your breastfed/bed sharing LO the first time you spent a night away?

DS was 7m. He was EBFd, was offered solids, but wasn't really taking yet. He WAS taking bottles of BM, and I left a small freezer stash for the 36ish hours I was gone. He was not sleeping through the night (still isn't!!) so DH had to prepare 3 bottles of BM in the middle of the night.

I agree with the evening... do that for sure! Maybe try a trial night, where you go away, but are just a quick phone call away to come back, in case things go nuts.

Does she STTN? To me, that's a determining factor in leaving my LOs with others (grandparents) for the night. DS is still not, and I really fell badly leaving him overnight (have had to a few times, due to total exhaustion).

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:22 AM   #4
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD is 18 months and still hasn't been away for the night. I plan to have her sleep over my sisters next month and she will be 19 months. She still nurses a lot and co sleeps, I haven't been comfortable with the thought of leaving her yet.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hasn't happened yet, and my oldest nursling is 2.75. I was really nervous about what would happen when our second baby was born, but he was born at home and DD slept right through it.

At this point, I don't think I would even enjoy a night away because I would be too worried about everyone--including the caregiver's sanity.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
cherrycoke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS was only 3 weeks due to my hospitalization The first night my mom took him so DH could sleep then DH took him the second night. During the days he was able to be with me in the hospital to nurse, so I wasn't away from him for more than 14ish hours at a time. DS did pretty well, but once I was finally home, he didn't let me out of his sight for two days. He would fuss until I was holding him again, it was pretty cute.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
Kaylie
Registered Users
seller

My daughter was 10 months when I first left her for...a long period of time. It wasn't the whole night, but it was all day and half the night. I was very nervous cause she nurses constantly still, and nurses more than she eats solids. I also co-sleep with her as well so I was nervous about my mom being able to get her down for bed. I left her with my mom to go to a wedding, and the wedding reception. I figured since she was older she would do good. My mom did great with her! She didnt cry the whole time! Since your DD is older now since the first time you were away from her she might do okay. Pack a huge bag of her favorite toys, some baby food (or whatever you feed her) and she will probably do okay. However, my mom was the only person I was able to leave her with. She is more comfortable around my mom than anyone else in my family! But only do it if you think you are ready! good luck!
Kaylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #8
socalgal
Registered Users

Hasnt happened here yet. ds is 2.5 and dd is 9 months
socalgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
Barbarap
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A year for both of mine. I Ep'ed for the entire first year and both were still on some breastmilk and the rest whole milk.

Good luck!
Barbarap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #10
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

my DS was 10 months the first time we left him i was hospitalized overnight for preterm labor than he stayed again a couple weeks when i had DD
my DD is 10 months and not been away from me for more than a couple hours her first night at Grandmas will most likely be when the new baby is born this fall