Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-15-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:
How likely is it that they can tell babys gender with one US?

I am only 9 weeks but everyday drags as I want to know SO BAD what this baby is! We never found out with DD, we decided that since she was our first, we didn't care either way, just wanted a baby lol. It was fun waiting for the surprise. But this time we tried for a boy (timing and all that) so I am really hoping we got our son. I don't like having multiple u/s. I plan to just have one. And that one will be somewhere near 20 weeks I hope. But I haven't talked with anyone about that plan so I don't know if it is feasible lol.

So my question....since I plan on doing only one u/s, what are the chances baby will be in position to show us? I am freaking out that it will be hiding and we won't be able to tell and we will have to wait! I don't want to wait with this one, I want to prepare!

Oh, and we plan to have to US tech write the gender down and fold the paper and hand it to us. We won't look when they go over the parts, but will ask that they print out the pics for us. Then when DH and I are alone, in the car or whatever, we can open the paper and look and the pics. I wonder if they would do that for us?

Advertisement

Last edited by solarbabies; 06-15-2011 at 09:41 AM.
solarbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
rainydaysunshine
Registered Users
seller

Re: How likely is it that they can tell babys gender with one US?

Yes, they will write you baby's gender down and print a potty shot.

As for if you'll be able to tell in 1 U/S, that depends on a lot of things (position, movement). Make sure to drink lots of water and get baby moving by eating a candy bar and drinking some OJ about a half an hour before hand.

We were able to find out on the first go w/ both our boys. I am pregnant now with a girl, and it took 2 tries to get a look at her bits that I really trusted (3 techs said "girl", but I wanted a really clear pic to go with that).

Little girl, Seren Elise, born at home 11/18! Birth Story
rainydaysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
Lovinmama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had the 1st trimester screening done at 12ish weeks, and of course couldn't tell the gender.

I had my "gender" scan done at 18.5wks and the first shot we got of our LO was the money shot, and I just said "it's a boy!". The same exact thing happened with DS1...my boys don't try and hide their goods I guess.

The u/s tech should be happy to write down the sex and seal it for you all for later. Very cute idea too! Just beware that you might see that money shot on the screen beforehand, and if you do that's ok too!
Old 06-15-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

All 3 of mine have very clearly been girls at the anatomy scan around 20 weeks. They were not shy at all about sharing what they had.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
Ten
Registered Users

My Mood:

At 20w I understand it's pretty obvious as long as baby isn't being shy... not sure there's much you can do about that other than PP's suggestion to drink some OJ to get the baby moving.

Only having one u/s shouldn't be a problem if one is all you want. I opted to go with none, and my care provider was cool with that as long as nothing came up that made her think something might be wrong and warranted a closer look. Remember - your body, your baby, your choice. You can decline anything you don't want.

*TTC a sticky baby since Jan '15. Hoping DD1 returns to us!*
"Death can't stop True Love - it can only delay it for a while." - The Princess Bride
Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #6
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

One of my best friends just went in 2 weeks ago at 19 weeks for her one and only ultrasound and the baby would not show the goods. They have to have a surprise now since they can't afford a fun 3d ultrasound.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just depends on how cooperative the baby is. Drinking something super sweet or with caffiene or both helps right before gets them moving. Do it atleast an hour before though. My DD hid at 20 weeks...Dr said if he was a betting man he would bet girl, 30 weeks hid again but that Dr said probably girl as she didn't think she saw boy parts, butt was pushed against my uterus this was an emergency U/S, 33 weeks to make sure partial previa moved that was found at 20 weeks we found out with out a shadow of a doubt girl! . I pretty much knew it was a girl and that just confirmed it. It drove me insane til I knew though.

Oh and yeah the tech should be able to do that. Our tech at 33 weeks was awesome..the one at 20 weeks was in my ob's office the 33 weeks was at the hospital. She said 100% girl and if it was a boy to come back with the u/s pic and the baby and she would give us something for a boy! lol Looking at the pic anyone could see girl so we had no doubt

Last edited by mommy2kaitlyn; 06-15-2011 at 03:40 PM.
mommy2kaitlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #8
CWHmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

All of mine were visible after 17 weeks.

I fyou don't want to see on the screen, tell the tech that and she'll have you close your eyes when she starts. With my ODS, it was the first thing we saw. YDS was a surprise, so she made sure nothing was showing, then we looked.

None of our techs though would print a potty shot (army hospital). I think they are afraid of being wrong and someone coming back angry. The first 2 did tell us, but no gender pics.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
niadara
Registered Users
seller

We only opted for a 22 week anatomy scan (20-24 scan is for the anatomy) and found out then. DD was in a perfect position.
With DS I had more ultrasounds cause I was under ob care instead of a midwife and wasn't as cautious (I like to keep everything to a minimum, no extra stuff). Each single time he was positioned just fine to see his gender
niadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #10
kelseyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have only had one ultrasound with all three of my pregnancies. With my oldest it was done at 20.5 weeks. He did the anatomy scan and couldn't see the gender so well, so he had me go to the bathroom to see if she would move down a bit. She did and we were able to tell that she was a girl. My second baby the us was done at 19 weeks. He could easily tell she was a girl. This pregnancy I had my us at 22 weeks. He was very sure it was a girl. So, all three of my us showed us the gender. I have heard of babies who make it impossible to tell. If that had happened to us we would have had a surprise because we only do the one anatomy scan. Good luck! I think you have a good chance to finding out.
kelseyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote