Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #21
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Do you cover up when nursing in public?

I tried a cover once when my DD was newborn. I didn't like it at all--it made things much more awkward and complicated for me, personally. I just nurse my littles wherever. But like others, I wear a tank under my shirts to cover my tummy and back. Shirt comes up, tank goes down, baby latches on--very easy, no skin showing.

Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #22
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone! It's nice to know that breastfeeding in public, coverless, is normal!

And yeah, I definitely plan on wearing an undertank... no one needs to see my belly, LOL! That would probably be more offensive than seeing my boob .
Old 06-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #23
DarlingDee
Registered Users
seller

I nurse covered-ish. I hate the blanket-type covers that go over the baby's face. They make my son mad and frustrate me. I have a Baby Bond nursing sash that I love, especially if I didn't think my wardrobe through before leaving the house. Then my little guy's face is still uncovered, but my goods aren't out in the open. The other thing I've learned over the last few months is that if you just sit there quietly and don't go over the top with things, nobody notices and nobody cares.
DarlingDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #24
happymama1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do for the first 2 or 3 months when my little one is still learning how to nurse...then I ditch the hooter hider altogether. Sometimes I try to cover up if I'm at church, but my 9month old doesn't tolerate it, so I pretty much just try to be discreet. It's very liberating to not give a crap what people thing anymore...must be a 3rd baby thing for me. I also finally learned how to nurse in my boba baby carrier...also a 3rd child survival skill....so I can nurse the baby while chasing after my other two....most people can't tell what I'm doing
happymama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #25
adavieau
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

After the first month or so (when its kind of awkward to get them latched on and they sometimes pop off and choke etc. so I kind of need one to avoid totally flashing people) I don't usually use a cover. I almost feel like it draws more attention. Usually I wear a nursing tank under a shirt and between and the baby's head almost everything is covered, its pretty discreet. I've had many people not even know I'm nursing. I've never had anyone be offended or upset that I'm nursing in public, actually my fil is more uncomfortable with it than strangers!
adavieau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #26
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You have to do what ever makes you comfy and keeps baby healthy and happy. I give you lots of credit for pumping, that is a TON of work. Wait untill you see how much easier this is!

Our first 3 children are close in age so at one point I nursed for nearly 7 years straight. I will say I have GIANT boobs so perhaps I might have been slightly more modest had they been a bit smaller. It is near on impossible for me to keep covered and nurse when my boob is 3X the size of LO's head

I have nursed EVERYWHERE. Planes, trains, malls, eating out, and even Disney. I have had a few nursing shirts but being a fluffy Mama makes the shirts cost like a kabillion dollars. You could get shirts from Motherwear pretty cheap with a coupon. Bravado nursing tanks are great because you can wear them under anything abd get great coverage. Keep in mind that is your breasts intended purpose. If people are embarassed they need not look. It isn't like you are wearing tassles and dancing on a table A baby needs to eat!
Old 06-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #27
DarlingDee
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post
It isn't like you are wearing tassles and dancing on a table A baby needs to eat!
Awesome!
DarlingDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #28
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post
You have to do what ever makes you comfy and keeps baby healthy and happy. I give you lots of credit for pumping, that is a TON of work. Wait untill you see how much easier this is!

Our first 3 children are close in age so at one point I nursed for nearly 7 years straight. I will say I have GIANT boobs so perhaps I might have been slightly more modest had they been a bit smaller. It is near on impossible for me to keep covered and nurse when my boob is 3X the size of LO's head

I have nursed EVERYWHERE. Planes, trains, malls, eating out, and even Disney. I have had a few nursing shirts but being a fluffy Mama makes the shirts cost like a kabillion dollars. You could get shirts from Motherwear pretty cheap with a coupon. Bravado nursing tanks are great because you can wear them under anything abd get great coverage. Keep in mind that is your breasts intended purpose. If people are embarassed they need not look. It isn't like you are wearing tassles and dancing on a table A baby needs to eat!
Maybe I should do that, to overcome my paranoia about offending people by breastfeeding? Not to mention, a little extra cash couldn't hurt!
Old 06-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #29
smom050811
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS can't stand being covered up. Buuuut he's in that phase where he pulls off every time! I just wear a nursing tank or a stretchy tank under a loose fitting tee. That way we can still nurse discreetly without covering babe's head.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle. - Plato
smom050811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:06 PM   #30
MichelleSG
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With my first (a decade ago) I used receiving blankets and found them annoying. In the interim I've participated in the Great Cloth Diaper Hunt and found a product I knew in had to have if I got pregnant again, the MoBoleeze. It's a big floppy baby hat. It's beautiful, I bought it for myself this time around. Baby is due in a month and I can't wait to use it! Also I have very small breasts (normally an 'almost A' cup now a solid B) and I don't think it bothers me at all to be seen so really I'm only using the hat because I think it's the cutest.
MichelleSG is offline   Reply With Quote