Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

I <3 cloth diapers but hate detergent!

I'm ready to sell every thing and switch to sposies. I am over detergents. I like tide but it stinks! I tried the free and clear and my diapers smelled like poop! I dont like rng. Tried planet and ARM & hammer. Any other ideas? I'm not willing to spend a ton of $$ on it either. I'm just over it!!!

Sent from my EVO using DS Forum

Advertisement

jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
TheQuirkyCat
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: I <3 cloth diapers but hate detergent!

Have you tried a different formulation of RNG? I used the regular stuff for awhile and was so-so about it, but switched to Hard Rock and I'm much happier.

Sometimes it takes a lot of trial and error to find the right stuff. I know it is frustrating! Personally, I'd rather have this fight than deal with sposies. We used them while on vacation last week. I hate the smell of a wet sposie...but worse is overly-perfumed sposies! Yucko!
TheQuirkyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How much detergent are you using? Perhaps you need to use more. I know the consensus is to be very careful about how much detergent you use, but if you've got stinkies you need to use more because the diapers are not getting clean enough.

Fwiw, I use Biokleen powder detergent (it has chlorine free bleach added).
Old 06-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
Skatha89
Registered Users

I use Planet from Whole foods and don't have stink issues, even without spraying my poopy diapers
Skatha89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
wyatt09
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607 View Post
I'm ready to sell every thing and switch to sposies. I am over detergents. I like tide but it stinks! I tried the free and clear and my diapers smelled like poop! I dont like rng. Tried planet and ARM & hammer. Any other ideas? I'm not willing to spend a ton of $$ on it either. I'm just over it!!!

Listen to me mama...GREEN WORKS LAVENDER SCENT...IS SOOOOOOOOOOO AMAZING AND WASHED MY DIAPERS SOOO WELL AND MAKES YOUR WHOLE LAUNDRY ROOM SMELL LIKE A FRESH GARDEN.NO MORE LOOKING JUST GO GET IT
wyatt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #6
Skatha89
Registered Users

I use Planet from Whole foods and don't have stink issues, even without spraying my poopy diapers
Skatha89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

After 7 years of CDing this is my suggestions:

I'd suggest a good hot wash with plenty of whatever detergent you like for your clothes (doesn't have to be some fancy CD only detergent) and also a bit of bleach (I use 1/4c for my big basic top loader, used to use only 1tbsp with my old front loader). Don't skimp on the detergent, don't skip the bleach. Stinkies = NOT CLEAN.

Follow this up with another hot wash with NOTHING in it to make sure you don't have build up. If you see tons of suds in the wash, rinse again on hot until it is gone. This should clear up the current stinkies and strip out the yuck. In the future make sure not to go more than 3 days maximum between washes, and do a cool or warm rinse before your regular wash. It make take a little fiddling to find the perfect amount of detergent that gets them clean without requiring more than the standard 2 rinses. Seriously, don't skimp on the detergent though, wash the diapers like you would pooped on clothes! You may or may not need to use a dab of bleach in every wash depending on your water. I personally have to use a little bleach because of our hard well water and if it keeps us from sposies that is okay with me.

Good luck! Diaper washing doesn't have to be complicated. When I threw out the diaper washing rule book and just washed them like I would some sort of really gross laundry (and then made sure to rinse them throughly to avoid irritation) we never had a never stinky diaper again.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:30 PM   #8
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't have stinkies. They reek of tide. I use it between the 1 and 2 line. I use the same for my laundry. I do a pre rinse every time. I used the free and gentle at my moms and it was so soapy it has bubbles coming upto the lid. I don't think I used too little.

jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
poppan
Registered Users
seller

Do you know if you have soft or hard water? I have soft water and use halfway to the 1 line and still have to do a second wash cycle without detergent to get it all rinsed out. It's the soft water that makes me have to do the second-wash-as-rinse. I can't use less Tide, if I use less they don't get clean enough.

In your shoes and even assuming you have somewhat hard water--maybe try just to the 1 line? I see a lot of people using to the 1 line with success.

Or if you have soft water like me.. maybe use less than the 1 line and add a wash cycle as a super rinse?
Old 06-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #10
blane,j,&morgansmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I like charlies.