Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
dds07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
can I buy larger pfs for a newborn and fold down?

I was wondering if I could get away with buying the red edge or yellow GMD PFs and folding them down for a NB (instead of buying the orange edge). I don't have one in hand, so I'm not sure if that would be way too bulky or just not work for some other reason. Hoping to use trifolded...

Advertisement

Meggan, wife to Loren, mommy to Kate born 9.7.07, #2 Due in Feb 2012
dds07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
BESMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: can I buy larger pfs for a newborn and fold down?

I have a 15lb 4 month old in reds right now, and for my guy they are still a little big. When I fold them down they are pretty bulky. I definitely would not recommend the reds right off the bat.

I didn't own yellow, so maybe someone else can offer some advice on those (I used DSQ chinese infant prefolds).
Old 06-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
BESMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a 15lb 4 month old in reds right now, and for my guy they are still a little big. When I fold them down they are pretty bulky. I definitely would not recommend the reds right off the bat.

I didn't own yellow, so maybe someone else can offer some advice on those (I used DSQ chinese infant prefolds).
Old 06-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
alirebco
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I started using yellows on DD when she was 2 weeks and about 8 lbs. I just folded down in the back. The oranges were nice but not as absorbent.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Definitely not the reds, those would be huge! The yellows could probably be folded down easily for a baby under 8 lbs or so. But for trifolding? I'm not sure folding down and trifolding would work like that.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
thermophile
Registered Users

I'm happy that i got orange, yellow and reds. I'm a pinner-ds was in orange for 6 weeks and now use them as doublers, yellow from 6 weeks till now 9m and will probably continue wearing yellow during the day for a few more months, and reds for nights with an orange doubler. even now the reds are pretty big, but easily doable i just go with yellows because theyre trimmer and absorbent enough for a couple of hours.

here's ds in orange at one week-even those were pretty big at that stage

and not a great pic of the diap, but ds in orange at 6 w with a yellow on bizarrely as a "cover" laying on an unprepped red

oh just found a pic of him in an orange using a red as a cover and laying on a prepped red. he out grew his newborn covers really quickly-one day the were getting just slightly small and the next the were way too tiny so i had to improvise for a few days till i got bigger covers

if you only want to get 2 sizes, you could skip the yellow but i really like them as our super trim option

oh he was 7lb at a week and probably 10-11 at 6 w

Last edited by thermophile; 06-27-2011 at 02:52 PM.
thermophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:19 PM   #7
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

I used standard infant sized trifolded for my oldest, and I just trifolded them the "wrong way". As in, not on the seams, but against them. That worked out okay in nb covers but was a bit bulky.

The yellows are close in size to standard infant so I am thinking you could get away with this. I wouldn't do reds on a newbie, though - they are really very big.

What kind of covers are you planning to use? I have orange, yellow and red pfs on hand and nb Bummis Super Brite and xs Thirsties. I would be glad to take some pics for you with each prefold trifolded into these covers. I think I might have a nb BSWW laying around somewhere, too... just let me know if you think this would help you decide!

(I also have preemie and standard infant sized pfs, too.)
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
melissamomof3girls
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree, the reds would be crazy huge. I thought the oranges were even bulky on my 8lb son. You could probably get by with the yellow, but they'll still be quite bulky.

How about just getting flats? That way you could fold them as small as you need without them being too bulky.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
Mum2Gaby&Emersyn
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would think yellow would be doable, but not the red... I tried our equivalent of sizes and the [what would be] red was waayyyyy too big
Co-owner of 'Mums & Bums' - coming soon!
Mum2Gaby&Emersyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:26 PM   #10
Kenner82
Registered Users
seller

Depending on how your baby is built, you might be able to skip the orange edge ones, but there is a really big size jump from yellow to red. If you don't want to do orange, I'd recommend starting with yellow (but a lot of it is really going to depend on how big your baby is and how he is built. I'd say, order the yellows because you'll probably need those at some point, and then re-evaluate when the baby arrives. You've done your research, so if you decide you want the oranges, it won't take long, even with a newborn, to place the order!)
Kenner82 is offline   Reply With Quote