Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #11
Loupgarou
Registered Users
seller

Re: What do you call BFing, and why?

Found this link on the etymology of the word "nurse" and thought I'd share since this post spurred me to Google it.
http://www.nursingpower.net/nursing/origen.html

Quote:
The word nursing itself is derived from the Latin nutrire "to nourish". The word nurse has its roots in the Latin noun nutrix which means "nursing mother", often referring to a wet nurse (a woman who breast fed the babies of others). The French term nourrice also referred to a woman who suckled a child. The original meaning of the English word was the same and the term first used in English in the 13th century and its spelling underwent many forms, norrice, nurice or nourice,to the present, nurse.

Advertisement

Old 06-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #12
momof_3

Formerly: momof_2girls
seller
seller

My Mood:

I usually call it nurse and occasionally breastfeeding. My DH usually calls it feeding or breastfeeding. For me it is just what came naturally. For DH usually he is talking to someone else about it for instance saying "she's breastfeeding the baby right now" and I think for him it's more about being clear with people who don't necessarily understand what "nursing" is.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:04 AM   #13
Erinne
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loupgarou View Post
I say nurse. Breastfeeding sounds so...clinical or something to me. I think "nurse" sounds cozy and loving and encompasses how the act is about so much more than simple "feeding".
Yep, we say nurse too for the same reason.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #14
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use both words interchangeably. I know that I type the word nurse more often since it's shorter.

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:32 PM   #15
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Usually feed. Sometimes nurse.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #16
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I usually say nurse, simply because it's shorter. But if someone asks how I feed him, or how I will feed my kids, I may say "I breast feed." or "I will breast feed."

But when it's time to feed the baby I say "Oh he needs to nurse." or "He wants to nurse." sometimes I just say "He wants his boob." LOL

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #17
elibellij
Registered Users

I usually say "nurse" -- It just sound so sweet and really sums up the relationship for me
elibellij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #18
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:

Breastfeeding, all Kiwis do or feed. Nursing sounds weird to me but then so does diapers.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #19
S4r4h
Registered Users

I use nurse and feed interchangeably and breastfeed when I'm around people who wouldn't know what I meant otherwise.

The only thing I'm weird about is pumping. I work full time at an emergency hospital so I have to just pump when I can, rather than scheduled breaks ... So I have to tell my coworkers where I'm going. In that case I say I'm going to go "do my thing" bc it makes me feel less weird that saying the word pump.

That is, until a coworker cracks a joke about how I'm "forcibly extracting lactation fluid from my mammary glands." I can't win.
Sarah Beth - Mama to Charlie (Charlotte) born 1/12/11 and wife to Jeffery, computer geek extraordinaire. Lover of succulent gardens, live plant aquariums, reading, nature, sunshine, emergency veterinary medicine, and Homer, the best dog in the world.
S4r4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:25 PM   #20
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4r4h View Post
That is, until a coworker cracks a joke about how I'm "forcibly extracting lactation fluid from my mammary glands." I can't win.
Next time someone asks me what I'm doing while nursing, I'm going to use this line. "Well, right now, Emma is...."

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote