Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-04-2011, 12:19 AM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Subscribing to this. There is some good stuff I could use on here! Thanks!

A&M'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Meal plans?

I do a weekly meal plan, and I do my grocery shopping once a week on Sunday afternoon. So, I try to have my meal plan done no later than Saturday night. It usually helps if I kind of work on it throughout the week (so I check the grocery store circular as soon as it's available online to see what's going to be on sale the day that I shop, and I write down a meal for next week if it sounds good to me). Then, I just go shop for needed ingredients on Sunday and prepare the meals throughout the week. I do "assign" meals to certain days when I plan (this time of year I usually look at the forecast to see which days are best for grilling or crockpot meals if it's super hot and I don't want to turn on the oven!), but I don't always stick right to it.

Honestly, I have no idea how people shop without meal planning! How would you have any idea on what you need to buy?! This way I know what I need to buy and I don't waste anything. Otherwise I KNOW we'd waste food (things would spoil before we used them) AND money because I'd be in and out of the store all week (gas to get there, plus you never end up coming out with JUST what you went in there for) AND energy.

ETA: And I post our meal plan to our blog every week I do this for a variety of reasons: first, I love seeing other people's meal plans for ideas!, second: it's an easy place for me to reference to see what we're having and DH can do the same, and third: I do a lot of online recipes and this way I can keep all the links together and ready to go!
AP, Crunchy, Thrifty Momma to Jack (2/10) and Molly (1/13) Wife to Mark (6/08) who usually can be persuaded to go along with my crazy ideas
Check out our story at The Good Stuff

Last edited by Stefibeth; 07-04-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Stefibeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #13
mel j
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Meal plans?

Ohh, I like the blog idea! I haven't been good at keeping blogs lately but that definitely sounds like a good idea

I guess not planning for meals worked for us in a way because we tended to make a lot of the same things (e.g., I'd make eggs or oatmeal for breakfast a lot; we'd have tacos/chicken & rice/chili & rice etc. for dinner; leftovers for lunch, or we'd just cook on a whim if we felt like something in particular - if we had to get groceries anyway, we'd just get what we needed for that meal during that grocery trip.) So we'd just make what we felt like any particular day and had a pretty good idea of what to get from the grocery store.

But, it would definitely be nice to be a bit more organized. I tend to forget what we have if I don't see it - like veggies that are out of sight! So I really like the idea to "shop" ones cupboards/fridge and plan meals before grocery shopping too, to make sure as much as possible is used up and not wasted.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:
Originally Posted by MaBacon
I use good ol' paper and pen and write mine. We do a 2 wk meal plan since that falls with when we shop. We plan our meals on what we have on hand first (shop your pantry before the store ) Then I write what else we need for our shopping list. We look at the calendar for the next 2 wks so we know if someone is working late or we need an easy meal. Also the weather if it's hot we plan grilled food instead of using the oven.

It works for us. And it avoids all the last minute trips to the store.
This is exactly what we do. I grew up with a mother who never planned beyond breakfast the next morning, and I hated it. We were constantly running to the store, or stopping to pick things up last minute. We try to plan out almost 2 weeks, and then shop accordingly.
Jen - SAHM to James Alexandra and my sweet baby Thomas
thaisa47 is offline   Reply With Quote