Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-01-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

Going to get my arse chewed...

on Facebook. I am not a "car seat nazi" (lol), but I could NOT keep my mouth shut on this photo I just saw. It was a 5 pt car seat (may have been one that you can also use as a booster), and the person had cut the straps out of it. So, she had her 2 or under child buckled in there with only the lap belt. She said she had a Britax but didn't want to use it "b/c it was too hot with the cover it has on it"!!! AND, to top it off, the pic says something like "took this pic WHILE I WAS DRIVING so it is blurry". WTH?
I responded and told her how unsafe it was... especially with her taking a pic while driving...

Advertisement

Old 08-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Going to get my arse chewed...

Oh my...
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

They took down the pics/comments. I guess what gets me is that this person runs a dog rescue and goes on and on about "getting the dogs to safety". Which I am all for! But then does not think much about the safety of her own child. Someone had already posted before me, and the person defended the child's seat with the "it was hot..." comment...
Hopefully she checks out the videos comparing 5pt to lap belt like I told her to. I told I was not trying to be mean, that knowledge is power. But then I am sure it came off as rude, and since 2 other people also commented on the child's lack of safety, she probably felt attacked.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
an_aurora
Registered Users

Wow, how sad. I hope she gets a clue, soon.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
Kayleen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

People are so easily offended over the stupidest things. I had a friend's wife (new 1st time parents) post a carseat pic on Facebook. I private messaged her telling her that the aftermarket harness shoulder pads were too long thus possibly preventing her from getting the chest clip in place and the harness tight enough. I also wondered if the harness was at the lowest slots. The pic was a belly clip, loose harness (baby was slouched all over, wasn't tight in the hip area), and it was about 2 inches over baby's shoulders. They called my DH and told him how they were extremely offended that I said anything about it. So much for seeing the real issue.
Kayleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh I hate that kind of stuff.

I RARELY say anything to anyone.. like the 3 year old I saw in a booster seat picture the other day.. no matter how much I wanted to say something, I was for sure she knew better, so if I did, I'd just be seen as the "know it all" and ignored anyway.

I do say things to fellow carseat freaks... if I notice something twisted or too low or whatever. They are normally quick to tell me they fixed it right after taking the picture or they were just getting into the car and haven't fixed it all up yet.. etc. I like saying things to those people. lol
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
Mrs_R
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

There is a girl on my FB who has a 6 year old who doesn't sit in a booster. She's constantly posting pictures of him sitting in the car with the belt up around his neck, or pushed behind himself, or lots of other ways that aren't right/safe. I want to say something to her so bad but I know it won't go over well and it's not worth the fight it would cause.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #8
an_aurora
Registered Users

Maybe post a link to the booster law in her state? With a 'hey wouldn't want you to get a ticket' message.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #9
Danielle0407
Registered Users

In ct its a 92 dollar ticket per child that is improperly restrained. Maybe it is like that where you live, and you could let her know.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #10
Mrs_R
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'll have to check into it. She lives in a different state from me but I'll look at the laws for her state and see if there is anything I can use to get her to put him in a safe seat. Thanks ladies!