Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #11
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleSG
The best and safest thing to do would be take it to one of your car seat installation places or the highway patrol version. ESPECIALLY if you had trouble doing it by yourself. You so don't want to figure out that you did it wrong the hard way. Your baby is worth the extra time and effort it'll take to have it professionally installed.
They are usually knowledgeable about the radian.

Sent from my EVO using DS Forum

Advertisement

jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:00 PM   #12
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

The boot is visible to me in the first picture. I would give the same advice about pulling away from the bight and pushing on the seat. Do you have a friend that could visit, or a nice neighbor who wouldn't mind buckling while you climb in or otherwise manipulate the seat down more?
If that doesn't work, you may have a car that the Radian just does not work in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleSG
I hear ya, I just wouldn't recommend that route since you're having so much trouble. I also don't know if they recommend how you've ended up using the tether connector and that incline, are those both recommended by Radian? If the answer is either no or I don't know then maybe taking 3 kids out is not such a bad idea. It's a very nice car seat, it'd be sad if improper installation rendered it unsafe.
Sunshine kids allows and encourages tethering RFing. That's what the connector is for. And there are techs out there who do not have experience with Radians.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #13
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Re: radian install HELP!!(with pics)

I'm not 100% sure, but the radian + sienna combination is ringing bells in my head... not the good kind, the "incompatible" kind.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #14
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan
I'm not 100% sure, but the radian + sienna combination is ringing bells in my head... not the good kind, the "incompatible" kind.
I was thinking there was at least one really popular minivan that it just won't work with, but I couldn't remember which 100%.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:40 PM   #15
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

We have no problems getting it upright in a Sienna (2nd or 3rd row, we've done both). We do use 2 people to install though and it's never been in for longer than 3 days. Some people have said that Radians over-recline w/ time if not braced in the Sienna. It hasn't happened to us, but the Sienna is the gparents car, so it never stays in the Sienna very long.

I'd second the pulling away from the bight, pushing down on the foot (by where your child's feet would be) while tightening the belt. We do a LATCH install in the Sienna, so try you could try that again if the seatbelt doesn't work for you.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:56 PM   #16
jenbengtson
Registered Users

My Mood:

AHHHH ZOE is so cute I am of no Help Jess, But I love ya IF you need any help let me know I will come over Really I am just using this as an excuse to see your FACE
Old 07-28-2011, 09:31 AM   #17
valhunter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just wanted to add, how tight is the tether? You don't want it super tight, just basically attached. If you tighten it down, it will over recline the seat. Try the tips from the other moms, and check the tether, you should be good to go after that. I know the Radian is a beast sometimes!
#3 coming in August!
valhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #18
niadara
Registered Users
seller

I have a Sienna 2011 and I installed the same seat in the captain's chair with latch. Here are a couple tricks:

1) recline the seat all the way (the captains chair) for better access to the latch areas.
2) once latched (with a loose belt), sit with your knees and as much body weigh as possible on the front part of the radian (where the belt is to pull the straps tight). This makes it really upright. At the same time, have your husband or any other very strong person pull the latch belt tight, super tight.
3) Put the captains chair back in upright position. Put your knees again on the radian and have someone pull it tight.

---> our Radian is super tightly installed, and very upright!

The car seat place we went to (CPSTs) had never seen a Radian before and they were unable to latch the seat in. My husband did it within minutes. They also determined that the rearfacing tether could not be used in our Sienna. I haven't read more about it but for now we are not using the tether.

Last edited by niadara; 07-28-2011 at 12:39 PM.
niadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #19
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:

I also suggest reclining your seat back first, pull the RN out of the bight slightly, see if you can get a knee in the seat as near to the foot as possible and drop your weight into it. PULL, PULL, PULL on that LATCH strap (or seatbelt)...sometimes it helps me with LATCH to pull the strap out away from the seat, to move it more through the slot, then pull toward again to tighten (and repeat). Like PP said, the tether does not need to be so tight that you could play guitar on it . Pull it until its taught and leave it be. Once you are pleased with the seats stability, move the vehicle seat back to the upright position, this will help brace the RN a little more. HTH!

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:28 PM   #20
melissardh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have the radian in my 2010 sienna captians seat in the middle position
I found you have to not WEDGE the front very edge of that boot leg deep into the crevice of the seat, back off just a hair, then standing almost behind the seat use your palm to shove the front of the seat,near the adjuster strap you pull on for the seat belt, push it down super hard straight down before you tighten the seat in OR put your knee there hard so all your weight goes straight on the frontof the radian seat edge into your cars seat, once you tighten it in with all your might then attatch the back tether toyour drivers seat like you have done
this will def make it much mor upright than you have, you'll notice that your hand can almost fit between back of your seat and the boot more than now but the seat will never budge in this position!

Last edited by melissardh; 07-29-2011 at 10:34 PM.
melissardh is offline   Reply With Quote