Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2011, 06:10 AM   #1
fmmlaa
Registered Users
seller

Help with hard water stains

Our well stopped working and while it is getting fixed our neighbor offered to run a hose from their house to ours. Right before all this our son kept getting really red from cloth so I decided to strip. After a few washes I was looking for closely at them and realized they are orange! Im guessing my neighbors dont have a softner. I know lemon juice can help get stains out but is there anything else I can try?

Advertisement

fmmlaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help with hard water stains

I never had this happen when we had hard well water? Bumping for ya.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
silvermaille
Registered Users
seller

Iron Out or bleach. I don't know if it's feasible or if it will work but if you go to a hot tub store, they have hose filters that are supposed to get iron and sediment out of the water before it goes into your hot tub. You may want to check into that and see if it helps. I don't think it's too expensive.

And, WOW, that was REALLY nice of your neighbors. It would have cost you a lot of money to get a tanker truck of water brought to your property and hooked up. Keep them!

Married to DH for 18 years, Mom to a little miracle queen bee (3/10)
silvermaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:21 AM   #4
mickysmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

bleach will make the stains worse.

i have to use a bit of iron out in each wash and soak for 5 minutes and then add detergent and do my wash.

If you use iron out make sure you rinse really well.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
poppan
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickysmama View Post
Old 06-30-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
fmmlaa
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickysmama View Post

i have to use a bit of iron out in each wash and soak for 5 minutes and then add detergent and do my wash.

If you use iron out make sure you rinse really well.

I was thinking iron out but didnt know if it was okay with my dipes. I am going to try lemon juice and sun first but I really dont see that working. The stains are bad
Old 06-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #7
fmmlaa
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermaille View Post
Iron Out or bleach. I don't know if it's feasible or if it will work but if you go to a hot tub store, they have hose filters that are supposed to get iron and sediment out of the water before it goes into your hot tub. You may want to check into that and see if it helps. I don't think it's too expensive.

And, WOW, that was REALLY nice of your neighbors. It would have cost you a lot of money to get a tanker truck of water brought to your property and hooked up. Keep them!

We have a softner so our water never effects my dipes. I asked the neighbors and they dont have a softner. It was for sure nice of them to let us borrow water. I will talk to dh about the hot tub part
Old 06-30-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmmlaa View Post
I was thinking iron out but didnt know if it was okay with my dipes. I am going to try lemon juice and sun first but I really dont see that working. The stains are bad
I didn't try lemon juice, but the sun did absolutely nothing for my orange diapers. Tried stripping- which you already know doesn't work, oxyclean, borax and even reg tide- even though your not suppose to use it, I got desperate because there was still stink due to the hard water. Rockin Green got rid of the stink, but doesn't do anything for the color.

I wasn't sure if Iron out was safe either. Anybody have any problems using Iron Out? It will void my warranty, but if it works I don't really care.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:33 AM   #9
PBAki
No Longer Here

My Mood:

You probably have a very hard water which needs stronger acid to neutralize the alkalinity of the hard water (which is mostly CaCO3 deposit). Something like a cup of white vinegar with a tbsp of lemon juice, mix, rub it in and let it soak for few minutes. Rinse well and line dry outside.
PBAki is offline   Reply With Quote