Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
PiecesOfKate
Registered Users
seller
seller

Help Me Tweak My Wash Routine, Please?

Since we moved I haven't been able to get my wash routine right. We used sposies on and off as we moved in and got settle and we are just now getting back to full time use.

I was using Babyganics and it worked for awhile and then my diapers were starting to smell. Then we switched to Dropps this time because of the raves and I can buy it locally but I don't think they are working for us either. My diapers are stained and I am still noticing an ammonia smell. DD2 has a rash but this could be teething related. I did look up our water and I found out that it is extremely hard so maybe one pack of Dropps isn't enough?

My routine now is TL:
Cold rinse
Long hot wash with dropps
Short hot wash to rinse

I have never dealt with hard water before so any advice on wash routine or detergent would be awesome.

Advertisement

Last edited by PiecesOfKate; 06-30-2011 at 10:16 AM.
PiecesOfKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
mommy22IN
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Help Me Tweak My Wash Routine, Please?

I have never used drops so I'm not sure about them. I do have hard well water. I have a cheap top loader and this is my routine so far I have had no stink or stains that I can't sun out. I also do a soak in RnG and then about 3 rinses once a month to help.

Gentle cycle on cold (about 15 minutes) no detergent
Long wash on hot with RnG 1.5 Tbsp.
Gentle cycle on warm for rinse
mommy22IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can us the normal ammount of detergent if you use a softner like calgon or borax. If you are doing a large load of dipes, you should be using 2 pack of drops per the directions on the label. If you decide not to use a softner, you should add more detergent. I have had excelent luck with arm and hammer liquix w/oxy and tide. Also, for a while use all f&c. All liquid. Never liked powder. I am currently using drops. The bag says for small loads use 1 pk, for larger use 2. With the hard water I would deff use a softner and maby try 2.

HTH!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DP orry!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89

Last edited by sarahannecloud9; 06-30-2011 at 10:30 AM.
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
PiecesOfKate
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for the replies. We had a bad experience with RnG in the past but I haven't tried the new stuff so that could be an option.

I will look into the Calgon too. I saw that about using 2 packs on large loads but usually with diapers I use less detergent so that is why I went with one. I know DH has used 2 on our regular laundry so I will give that a try this afternoon and see what that does for us.