Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2007, 05:27 PM   #11
Melissa~BHS
B/S/T with caution~ Ignoring attempts to resolve FSOT issue.

My Mood:
Re: 18 months- toddler bed or twin size?

All of ours went to a toddler size first, but if your child will go straight to a twin then I would go for it. We did the toddler because we have an heirloom toddler bed that DH made and I wanted all of my kids to sleep in it.

Advertisement

Melissa~BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:47 PM   #12
katie-momto4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we tried a toddler bed and it didn't work for us. we always wanted to sit on his bed to read a story or lie down with him and an adult just can't sit on a toddler bed. it's horrible if you want to lie down with them until they are sleeping...I say go with a twin. push it up against the wall and get a temporary rail for the other side.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:16 PM   #13
happyhomemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I say go straight to the twin. Then you do not need another crib mattress. My older kids both went from a crib to a full bed. Little one co-sleeps so I am sure he will move in to his brothers bed some day.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:06 PM   #14
my2babyboys
Registered Users
seller

When Ds was 18 1/2 months I bought him a twin. He refused to sleep in a crib, then we bought a toddler bed and he refused to sleep in it so we went for the twin. Now I sleep in it with him since neither of us can part with cosleeping yet. Well actually now that DH is gone to Iraq, we sleep together in the twin, but when he is home, he sleeps alone and I sleep with DS.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:26 PM   #15
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

i would get a toddler bed, my son went into his at 2 yrs old and is 4 now and still fits with room to grow, he has a little tikes blue racecar bed~the fall is lower if they roll off
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:53 PM   #16
OwensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We went straight to twin at 18 months. We had just moved and had a twin mattress we wernt going to use so I just set it up for DS and he took to it right away. Hes always been very easy going though!

Like a lot of people said, one less transition AND one less thing to buy!
OwensMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:55 PM   #17
christi2705
Registered Users
seller

We went with a toddler bed for 3 reasons.

1. She wasn't ready to go to her own room and a toddler bed is all that we could fit into our room.

2. Her crib (which is side-car'd to our queen bed and will be used by the baby) converts to a full size bed which I plan to put both girls in in a year or so (in their own room).

3. It was free from my brother

Last edited by christi2705; 04-02-2007 at 08:56 PM.
christi2705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:37 PM   #18
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

We are in the same situation except my ds is 21 months....we are working on a transition for him too. I went with a twin......because he always sleeps in our bed, he not use to a crib at all. So a twin bed was more what was use to anyway. I also like the twin so that I can still lay down with him and put him to sleep if I need to or sleep with him if I need to, etc.

Good luck on the transition!

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:07 AM   #19
smielebehappyjennifer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you can afford both I would recommend the toddler bed. It is "their" little bed and it makes it more fun IMO.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:54 AM   #20
hackermd
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
i would get a toddler bed, my son went into his at 2 yrs old and is 4 now and still fits with room to grow, he has a little tikes blue racecar bed~the fall is lower if they roll off

we just moved our dd who just turned 5 into a twin. She had a habit of falling out of beds... ALL THE TIME. We put her in a full size, and she fell off, even with a rail and pushed up against the wall, and it was horrible. So I drove straight out to a goodwill and found one for $6 and put it right up in her room using her crib mattress. It was less traumatic when she fell out of her toddler bed (which they are often available at goodwills, thrift shops, craigslist, freecycle). If you're not looking for something fancy, I would suggest the toddler bed and go basic. You can continue to use the crib bedding you have, etc, which for us was great because we got our money's worth for that expensive bedding! It's lower to the ground, if you've got a busy body sleeper, plus when they get older they can have more say in what big kid bedding they want for their big kid bed and that'll help to get them excited about transitioning into their full or twin!
hackermd is offline   Reply With Quote