Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-01-2011, 07:55 AM   #1
medieva
Registered Users
seller

Part-time ECing & wool?

Okay. So, I've been looking into cheap diapering options because we're going to at least part-time EC DS when he arrives later this year. I have been looking into prefolds & covers, because they seem simple & cheap. However, DD (19mo) has had some mild irritation/rash from exposed PUL (we've used gDiapers so far), so I'm not sure how DS would react. Plus, I'm not entirely thrilled with the idea of PUL anyway.

So, for all you wool supporters out there, and ECers, where would I start with some basic wool covers for when DS is out of the house? I figure I'd probably do diaperless or no cover most of the time at home, but for while we're out....what would you recommend?

Advertisement

medieva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #2
jessicah
Registered Users
seller

Re: Part-time ECing & wool?

I am now using EC on my 8 th baby- this is the 4th baby that we did EC with.
She is 8 weeks old today.
I have 2 doz. GMD small, yellow edge prefolds, 6 fitteds that she just recently grew into, and until last week we only had ONE wool cover. Thats it. It was a little inconvenient to only have one cover. When we left the house I always had a back up disposable in the diaper bag in case the cover was soiled. But so far that hasnt even happened. There were a couple of times it got little damp while out, but not enough to be unwearable.
I keep baby coverless at home mostly- and even in her bed for naps. The cover has really one been worn at night and for outings.

So one cover is doable but a second cover would help. My cover is a second hand little beetle wool wrap that is on its third baby. It is wool jersey knit so it has a nice stretch that fits for a long time. But Just last week I decided to purchase a second cover. It is from Gently made on Etsy and it is a shorts/soaker style. It is also a stretchy wool jersey. I love how it fits- it looks a lot trimmer than the Little beetle. I figured since it is trim it would look better for outings since that is mostly when it is worn anyway.

If you are looking for a lower price wool wrap, growing baby green on etsy looks nice.

Oh, for winter I will use 3 pairs of recycled longies from my last little one.

Last edited by jessicah; 07-01-2011 at 11:01 PM.
jessicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:57 AM   #3
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we did EC w/ DD. not hardcore, but she went on the potty several times a day & we had only a handful of poopy diapers after 10m until she was totally in undies at 2.

I liked covers that pull on & off b/c they are quick. I'd say any pull on interlock cover would be good. loveybums makes a great one & sometimes they have 2nds on their site
Old 09-16-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
burgler
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We EC and, like you mentioned, are coverless most of the time at home, even for naps. He wears a wrap cover for when we are out. I would disagree with teh previous poster that prefers pull-on covers, because I feel like they take longer to take off and put on. So, I guess each person is different. However, now that he does the all-night-buffet, we have a soaker cover for over some serious fluff, since we don't EC at night (it wakes him up).