Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
jenmm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Growth Chart Question

My dd just turned 6 mos old on Sunday. She's been ebf! I took her to the dr. yesterday. The dr. pointed out that her weight fell one percentile down. She's in the 17% percentile or so for weight. She's been very mobile the last few weeks, crawling and even trying to stand. The dr. said if she falls 2 more percentiles, then it's a problem. What????

I ended up supplementing my ds a little because I couldn't pump enough for him for daycare. I'm proud I don't have that problem with dd. I'm irritated about this percentile thing. My ds was a peanut, too. He's a healthy toddler.

My question:Are the growth charts the same for bf and ff babies?

The dr. kept asking what kind of formula I feed. I kept responding NONE.

Advertisement

Old 07-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #2
mama0609
Banned
seller

Re: Growth Chart Question

NO WAY! There is a separate chart for BF babies but most pedi's don't use it.

She's getting mobile... I would NOT worry about a 1 percentile drop (or even 2)... Unless SHE changes.. .ie, wets/poops, temperment, etc.

My 9 mo old is FINALLY ON the chart... He's never been on the chart for weight. He's fine, just a peanut!
mama0609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

1 percentile?!?!?! I would not even think twice about that. My kids both dropped many percentiles between 6 and 9 months, my oldest actually went from the 97th % to something like the 75% between 6 and 9 months and my youngest lost a lb between 6 and 9 months. Our ped never batted an eye.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
eLiz21730
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbabybottoms View Post
1 percentile?!?!?! I would not even think twice about that. My kids both dropped many percentiles between 6 and 9 months, my oldest actually went from the 97th % to something like the 75% between 6 and 9 months and my youngest lost a lb between 6 and 9 months. Our ped never batted an eye.
Wow am I glad to hear that! I posted today about my 9 mo. old dropping in percentiles and my ped giving us formula to try - he wasn't pushy or rude, but was concerned. Thanks for the reassurance!

Check out my store, the sewn PEA, on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/thesewnPEA

Come Swag w/me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/eLiz21730
eLiz21730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
Just2fornow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

WHAT!? Thats crazy! When my DD became mobile he went from the 95th % to the 52%! And our pedi didn't even question it! He said he looked great and healthy. Granted being on the chunky side helps when you start to slim down, but as long as she is still wetting lots and pooping I wouldn't worry at all!
Old 07-02-2011, 06:27 AM   #6
kitzmarj
Registered Users

My Mood:

My dd just turned 4months and isn't very big either - she used to be pretty high on the charts but since going back to daycare she hasn't been very good at the bottle so she doesn't always eat a ton. The Dr has us comeing back for a 5 month check - and then we may talk about formula - ugh, NO.....she is meeting all milestones and according to the EBF growth chart from WHO on kellymom.com she is growing just fine. I wish our dr would use two growth charts so that efb babies arent compared to ff.
kitzmarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
teacherchalise
Registered Users

Agreed. Don't worry! My DD is a peanut, but has always been a peanut. The dr says concern comes if she were to drop % but if she stays on the same track she's fine. Maybe that's your ped's concern, that she may be trending down. But I wouldn't say 1% is a trend. Don't wiry, and I'd say that unless it's a bigger drop, you shouldn't have to supplement.
teacherchalise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sigh. How ridiculous. There are different charts, but it shouldn't matter. 1 percentile and the dr. is getting concerned? That's crazy. Maybe last time you had just fed the baby and this time the tummy was empty? Or a difference in the kinds of clothes being worn. Or the time of day. Or the scale calibration. There are just too many variables. If you started to see a downward trend AND not gaining or weight loss (not just percentile!), then sure, maybe something might need to be considered. But a single or even 2 small percentile changes is nothing to be worried about. Especially once baby gets mobile. My first went from the 95% at his 2 month appointment to 50% by one year, and the dr. said it was just fine since he was still eating and gaining in general and healthy. Some kids just do that.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
kgmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
It's totally normal for a breastfed baby to drop down in percentiles on the standard growth charts (not the WHO breastfed baby charts) during the second half of their first year. My DD1 (now 4) stayed between the 25th and 50th percentiles for her first 6 months but then was down to the 10th percentile on the pediatrician's growth chart at 1 year. (The ped. wasn't concerned) I have since looked up her weights on the WHO's new charts for breastfed babies, and according to those charts she was solidly between the 25th and 50th the whole time.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 07-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #10
Basilsmommy
Registered Users

My little guy is small too and has steadily been dropping. He was in the 50% at 2 months then in the 30% at 4 months and 10% at 6 months. Our pediatrician was not concerned at all. I even asked just to make sure because a friend of mine was going through the same thing that you are and she said she wasn't concerned because he is healthy, happy and getting enough wet/poopy diapers. He is also right on developmentally. She just told me that "someone has to be at the bottom and it's not a bad thing" I wouldn't be concerned if I were you. Good job EBF! That is something to be really proud of!
Basilsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote