Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #21
aerobebe1421
Registered Users
seller

Re: how do you lay a baby down w/o them waking up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trying4more View Post
In my house you have to have secret Ninja Powers!
This is the exact response I was going to post!

It took 10.5 mos. before I could move Carter to his PnP (he hates his crib) without him waking...or he'd wake, but then would roll over and fall asleep. He spent many a naps sleeping in my arms on the couch or snoozing away in the SleepyWrap. I tried laying him down awake, but sleepy, half asleep, and dead asleep. Didn't matter. He'd wake up instantly and would cry. I do not believe in CIO, so just letting him cry was never an option. Yes, it is tiring, but if you just stick with it, it'll pay off in the end. One day it just clicked for Carter. He does get a pillow and he has his paci in his mouth and two pacis to hold onto for comfort.

Hang in there, Mama! We've all been there!

Advertisement

expecting someone new 11.14
aerobebe1421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:45 AM   #22
aerobebe1421
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericksMama View Post
This is what I do-

Once my son nurses to sleep, I let him rest for about 1-2 minutes to get into a deeper sleep. Then, I wrap his blanket tight around his arms, so if he startles, he doesn't wake himself up. I let him rest about 3 more minutes, then slowly stand up with him. I walk gently down the hallway to our bed. I lie him down on his back (arms are still wrapped tightly), and as soon as he is on the bed, I just rest there for about 15 seconds with my arms pinned under him. Then I really slowly pull my arms out from underneath him. Cover him with the sheet, then pull his blanket off.
This is what I'd do in the beginning, except I'd nurse him in bed and transition to his PnP which is right next to our bed. Now, I can nurse him in bed and while he's sleepy, lay him down in the PnP and he will roll to his side, grab his pacis, and fall asleep.
expecting someone new 11.14
aerobebe1421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:52 AM   #23
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

One trick I was told was to always make sure the lower body touches the mattress before their head.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #24
swismiself
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Become a witch and use a potion!

Kidding...kidding...my son would never stay asleep and I would dream about magic potions and spells a la Harry Potter to get him sleeping and stay sleeping.

Also, how cool would it be to just cast legitamins at your screaming infant to instantly know what's wrong?

But I digress...
swismiself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #25
mommyfrog
Registered Users

I don't!! I put them in their bed when sleepy from birth and they learn how to go to sleep there. Then if they are asleep in the car or whatever, I can just put them in their bed and they will normally go back to sleep with no problems.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #26
seacat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed22 View Post
you mean at 9 or 10 months this doesn't get any better??

DD is 6 months old and we ALWAYS have this same EXACT problem... guess it will be a while... *sigh*
Ha! At 16 months it doesn't get any better just less often. My advice is when you think they are totally asleep and you would normally put them down wait 5 extra minutes. I read it on Dr. Sears site and it really seems to work. I can put DS down now groggy, but no way at 8 months.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #27
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyfrog View Post
I don't!! I put them in their bed when sleepy from birth and they learn how to go to sleep there. Then if they are asleep in the car or whatever, I can just put them in their bed and they will normally go back to sleep with no problems.
I only wish. I've tried with all of mine and they just become more awake and cry louder and louder.

The only thing that I can say is time. With time it gets easier. Yeah, I know, I know, it sux, but I don't agree w/CIO.

So, for now, I nurse her to sleep laying down and sneak away, or I nurse her to sleep while I am on here and she either just sleeps on my lap or I put her in the sling.
Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.
mama2cntrykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #28
mc_squared
Registered Users

I am so glad to be seeing this thread now...DD just turned 1 but I have the worst time getting her in her crib for naps after nursing to sleep. Some days I just want to cry because I'm so frustrated. I can nurse her to sleep fine, but she either wakes up when I try to put her in her crib or she wakes up 25 mins later. It's good to know I'm not the only one having this problem!
Expecting #3 July 2012!
mc_squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:51 PM   #29
BKmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_squared
I am so glad to be seeing this thread now...DD just turned 1 but I have the worst time getting her in her crib for naps after nursing to sleep. Some days I just want to cry because I'm so frustrated. I can nurse her to sleep fine, but she either wakes up when I try to put her in her crib or she wakes up 25 mins later. It's good to know I'm not the only one having this problem!
Same problem here w 8mo DD! I just nurse her to sleep in my bed and let her sleep there.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #30
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2cntrykids View Post
I only wish. I've tried with all of mine and they just become more awake and cry louder and louder.

The only thing that I can say is time. With time it gets easier. Yeah, I know, I know, it sux, but I don't agree w/CIO.

So, for now, I nurse her to sleep laying down and sneak away, or I nurse her to sleep while I am on here and she either just sleeps on my lap or I put her in the sling.
Are you putting them down before they act tired? That is important. If you put them down when they are tired, then it is less likely they will be able to put themselves to sleep, unless of course they are very used to it. It is very important to put them down 1-1 1/2 hours after the last time they woke up. No, it isn't a long time with feeding, changing, and "play" time, but it is important to put them down before they show signs of being tired.

I also don't believe in CIO and none of ours have ever cried going to sleep.