Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

mastitus.. treat without going to the doc?

I am pretty sure I have mastitis.. fever and everything. I don't have insurance (no flames, not all of us can afford it) only have 4 GYN visits covered a year. I have some state coverage that I can be seen at a health unit and they cover a portion of the bill. Problem is, they won't be open until tuesday. I called at 3 today and they close at 2 on fridays I am terrified of this getting out of hand and end up with an absess and have to stop nursing. He's only 3 months old. I am taking hot showers and immediately nursing him on the clogged side and pumping the other side so I can prodominately nurse on teh bad side. I have also started changing up the nursing position for the first time. I feel some relief when he nurses, but it is still tender and I have the fever unless I take tylenol. what else can I do? I can't afford an ER bill..

Advertisement

My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:45 PM   #2
litlckrets
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: mastitus.. treat without going to the doc?

Check out the info here: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html
It sounds like you are doing the right things to get all of the milk out.

Toward the bottom it says:
Per the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine's Clinical Protocol for Mastitis:

"If symptoms of mastitis are mild and have been present for less than 24 hours, conservative management (effective milk removal and supportive measures) may be sufficient. If symptoms are not improving within 12-24 hours or if the woman is acutely ill, antibiotics should be started."

Maybe someone else can chime in with more helpful info to help avoid going to the doc.

Last edited by litlckrets; 07-01-2011 at 11:47 PM.
litlckrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:48 PM   #3
socalgal
Registered Users

When I had a mild case a midwife recommeded echinachea and goldenseal. they sell them at health food stores. try rubbing it out and keep having LO nurse it out. Hope you are better soon.
socalgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:28 AM   #4
Hopper Graphics
Registered Users
Formerly:PurlyQ
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've had mastitis 4 times (all REALLY bad cases), and I've never had to actually go in to the doctor's office. I just called the office and said "I have mastitis, I need abx" and they called them in no question. Hugs, mama. Mastitis sucks!

Allison - mama to Olivia and baby Nora my Valentine's day VBAC!
Hopper Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:07 AM   #5
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

I don't have a regular doctor or insurance. I wouldn't be able to just call someone and have them prescribe something.

I've decided that I will go to the after hours urgent care clinic first thing in the morning. I don't want to wait til Tuesday to find a regular doc office that will see me without insurance. The really bad part is that it's going to be expensive and they require payment at the time of services. We are flat broke. ugh.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:17 AM   #6
formunkyfrommommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

what about calling a local midwife and seeing if they can help you out pro bono some how???
Old 07-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
It sounds like you are doing the right things. Some other things that help me when I get a clogged duct are to use a heating pad (we have a bag filled with wheat that I microwave) just before nursing, but also any time is good. I also pump right after feeding on that side. Oh, and I rub/ massage the heck out of the clogged spot, especially while nursing.

Basically when I have a clog, I heat, massage, nurse, and pump non-stop until it's gone. Good luck! I hope you can get rid of it and that the Dr visit goes well.
Marbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #8
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
One more thing: my mom doesn't have insurance either. Whenever edge goes to the doctor, she tells them she has no insurance. That way they prescribe her cheaper Meds or give her samples. Also sometimes they have a discount for un-insured people, especially if they pay everything up front.
Marbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #9
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mastitis is tough. What about the ob who did your birth? Would someone from the practice be on call this weekend who might be willing to call it in given the situation??
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

I called the after hours place. I told them the problem and that I have no insurance. she said it would be $100 to see the doc and get a script or it would be $130 if it's bad enough to need an antibiotic inject. I havne't gone in and not sure I will. I haven't had a fever all day and I've felt pretty good. My boob isn't hurting nearly as bad as it was. Since there has been a big improvement, I am just going to wait and see what happens. They are open from 9-6 every day, including the 4th, so I can go in if I really need to. The money isn't the big issue as it's way less than I was expecting. We can handle $100 if I need to go in. I am more wanting to avoid antibiotics because of all the yeast issues we've had between my ds and myself. I have/had yeast on my c-section incision and he is just now getting his head to toe yeast under control.. and I mean head to toe.. behind ears, under neck, under armpits, creases of elbows, creases on knees, and diaper area. I do NOT want to add thrush to this mess. He's finally on the mend.