Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Does everyone know about the new crib laws from CPSC?

Maybe everyone on DS already knows but...I just heard about the new requirements regarding crib manufacturing and the ban on selling cribs. We do not have a crib for LO and our last crib had stationary sides. I thought there might be some DS mama's shopping for cribs.

http://www.cpsc.gov/onsafety/2011/06...s-and-answers/

"Beginning on June 28, 2011, all cribs sold in the United States must meet the new
federal requirements. After that date, it will be illegal to manufacture, sell, contract to sell or resell, lease, sublet, offer, provide for use, or otherwise place in the stream of commerce a crib that does not comply with the CPSC’s new standards for full-size and non-full-size cribs. This includes manufacturers, retail stores, Internet retailers, resale shops, auction sites and consumers."

I know some DS folks flag craigslist and such for carseats so keep an eye for cribs too.

Advertisement

Old 07-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thank you!

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does everyone know about the new crib laws from CPSC?

I just peeked on the Baltimore Craigslist and there are TONS!
Old 07-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Good PSA! We trashed ours in February.
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
jefesita
Registered Users
seller

thanks for the link. I see drop side cribs ALL THE TIME on CL, some I KNOW were recalled because they look like mine that was. I am going to start emailing the sellers that link.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Who will be enforcing the crib standards and what are the penalties for using cribs that do not meet the new standards?

CPSC will be the main agency enforcing the new crib standards. .... A person or company that knowingly commits a prohibited act is subject to possible civil penalties. States’ attorneys general also have authority to enforce the crib standards through injunctions.
Crib police?

we have a dropside, but it's not built like the newer ones that break (it has metal bars, not plastic parts) I've got no less than a bazillion emails from well meaning friends and family. It's not that drop sides are bad, it's that there were a ton that were made really poorly with little plastic parts that snap off. The real shame is they went from making sturdy furniture, to cheap plastic garbage.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriket View Post
Crib police?

we have a dropside, but it's not built like the newer ones that break (it has metal bars, not plastic parts) I've got no less than a bazillion emails from well meaning friends and family. It's not that drop sides are bad, it's that there were a ton that were made really poorly with little plastic parts that snap off. The real shame is they went from making sturdy furniture, to cheap plastic garbage.
YES! My sister has an older dropside crib with METAL parts and that thing is so sturdy. Another sister has an older Simmons crib with the metal parts. Both of then are way sturdier than my dropside with plastic pieces was. BTW, they also meet the requirements for slat spacing(no wider than a soda can), so they are both perfectly safe. I have a Graco crib that was recalled for the dropside pieces, but DH had converted it to a fixed side before they recalled it. Both of the plastic pieces on ours snapped off, so he converted ours.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #8
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Remember, it isn't just the drop side that's the issue - the new regulations also affect the mattress support. Also, it is not illegal to continue to use an older crib for your own children (though it is recommended to be vigilant about checking that the hardware is tight, nothing broken, still sturdy, etc. very regularly). It is only prohibited for daycare providers - including home daycare - and other public/private childcare providers to continue using them, and it is illegal to sell or donate them.

We are continuing to use our crib at this point (though, since DS is so tall, we've converted it to toddler bed mode), but check hardware religiously, are are comfortable that this particular crib is safe for him. It is sad that we will have to destroy such a nice and well-built crib, but, oh well. It's one of those that can be used as a double bed headboard - maybe we'll decide to go that way.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #9
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha-nanagins View Post
it is recommended to be vigilant about checking that the hardware is tight, nothing broken, still sturdy, etc. very regularly
You (general) should be doing that anyway! Just being aware of what your are entrusting your kids life to. If you are leaving them in something (especially "unsupervised" like, you don't watch them sleep) it should be up to the highest standards.

I hope people aren't getting a false sense of security thinking "mine wasn't effected" and going on their day. If it was put together wrong, or someone jumped in it and bent/broke something, you should catch it next time you change sheets! That's when I tend to notice things, since you have to man-wrestle the mattress to get new sheets on.

I think people rely too heavily on cribs sometimes too. I've been to friends houses for *hours* thinking baby is with daddy or grandma, then I hear the baby rustle... Maybe I'm just jealous their baby tolerates being sat down and even more jealous they will play quietly for that long. But I'm also a little scared that they leave a baby in another room for that long.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #10
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

But if these are being recalled can't they be returned to store? I know for many drop side cribs that is what I tell craigslist people. Check the recall list most of the time you get full retail instead of a few bucks.

BTW we have a drop side as a side car and am happy I got it before this switch.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote