Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
Ladyinwaiting72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Nestle NIDO Kinder ???

Ok. So I got a can of this stuff in the mail with a $2.00 coupon. My DD is 11 months old so its time to start thinking about "what next". I've already purchased 2 cans of Similac Go and Gro which is a 2nd step formula. She's not a big solids eater but I contribute that partially to the fact that we BF till 7mo. Were working on introducing more solids but she seems to hate purees and I'm scared of choking....so i give her only small soft things. I've seen moms giving their 11mo olds chunks of chicken etc...that just freaks me out. I put things in a handi chopper just to break it up a little more but NOT puree. (i'm rambling......I know)

Question: Has anyone else used Nestle NIDO Kinder. If so what did you think? Its only like $4 per can at WM and if you get the huge one its $14. MY ONLY CONCERN IS THE SUGAR! 17g/8oz serving.

I cant find on the FORMULA CANS the amount of sugar per serving so that I can have some sort of comparison.? Why is this information so hard to find?

Advertisement

Ladyinwaiting72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nestle NIDO Kinder ???

I know that that brand of milk is used a LOT in Hispanic countries to give to children up to the preschool age and there are even some milks that are advertised to be given to children in school. Not sure if this milk is comparable to formula though, I'm thinking it's nothing more than a vitamin enriched powdered milk with better flavor...
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
Shalom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't know much about it, except when I lived in Mexico, everyone around me used to give this to their kids and babies, and everytime they were almost finished with each bottle, there was a thick pile of sugar left on the bottom of the bottle that grossed me out... that can't be good....yuck!

The hurt a troubled child creates is never greater than the hurt they feel inside. -T.
Shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

that's not necessarily because of the milk. For some reason a LOT of Hispanics feel like unless there are a couple inches of sugar/strawberry quick at the bottom of the bottle the child won't drink it. Heck, I remember my own brothers were fed the same way (and I suspect I was fed that way as well).
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
Ladyinwaiting72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Basically it's a vitamin fortified powdered milk. @ 25% or greater RDA for all vit/min listed. It's sweetened with honey but it's still "added" sugar in my book. She loves it. But im not sticking with it. If it contained less sugar I'd be more inclined but 17g is alot!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum App
Old 07-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
pcjs
Registered Users

I have never heard of it, but its an interesting option that I might consider trying except that sugar content.

My Gerbers Sips with flavor have 11 grams of sugar with the flavored kind - I can't seem to find the plain anymore which has less. I am not sure how much the walmart formula has.

I'd probably go to a formula with less sugar but if it is all your child will drink I'd rather have it than nothing.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #7
Ladyinwaiting72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I tried rice milk and coconut milk today. She loved then both.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum App
Old 07-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I used NIDO Kinder with my now 4.5 yo as an alternative to formula until she was nearly 3. From my comparisons it had a VERY similar nutritional profile o the toddler formulas at a much cheaper price. The sugar content is from the honey which IMHO is better than plain old sugar used in many formulas.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
Ladyinwaiting72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Id like to find a nutritional chart for formula that lists the "sugar" content. I cannot find it. I find plenty of formula Nutrition Facts Labels but NONE of them list the "___g/serving" in order to do a comparison.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:31 AM   #10
Soph's Mom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyinwaiting72
Id like to find a nutritional chart for formula that lists the "sugar" content. I cannot find it. I find plenty of formula Nutrition Facts Labels but NONE of them list the "___g/serving" in order to do a comparison.
Here's the chart for similac.... http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/baby-foods/452/2 more sugar than the nido...

Eta- I accidentally put that similac had less but it's actually several grams more!

cloth diapering, baby-led weaning, co-sleeping, babywearing yet fairly non-crunchy momma to DD born at 35 wks 09/10

Last edited by Soph's Mom; 08-12-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Soph's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote