Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
mommyof2tobe
Registered Users
seller

Dairy Free Food ideas???

Well, it seems that my 2 month old DD is allergic to dairy, so I'm having to eliminate all traces of it from my diet. Does anyone have good ideas for meals/ eating out/ snacks etc? Thanks for your help!

Advertisement

mommyof2tobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
doodle19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dairy Free Food ideas???

is it fresh dairy or ALL dairy? DD2 is allergic to fresh dairy and chocolate so I feel your pain. We started making more things from scratch. For example bfast was homemade peanut butter and banana muffins...no dairy in those. Dinner last night was penne pasta w/ grilled chicken, asparagus, basil, garlic and butter. You can buy dairy free butter. DH and DD1 added cheese to their pasta but not me. When we go out I order everything cheese free and avoid sour creams, cream cheeses, milk. I'll get a salad w/ appropriate dressing or a steak and some veggies. I've went through lots of diff dairy free milks and the one I like the best is vanilla coconut. I can cook w/ it too. Basically I got some new cookbooks and just started making things I could enjoy. Regular cookbooks just replaced the dairy items. DD2 is almost 4 months and I plan on nursing her until the age of 2. Although I'm hoping she outgrows it by then

Last edited by doodle19; 07-05-2011 at 05:55 PM.
doodle19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just bought coconut milk and almond milk to substitute in many of my dairy places. Good on cereal, in coffee, recipes.. etc.

Stay away from soy, it's actually not that good for you.

Also for drinking, the coconut milk is a little different from "real" milk..but it's close in consistency. I get the organic, unsweetened kind.

For eating out.. just be sure to avoid any kind of sauce with the word "creamy" in the description. When in doubt, just ask if something has milk, cream or cheese in it.

I thought going dairy free would be difficult...but I'm on day two and don't even miss it.. except for cheese... 'cause I love cheese. LOL

And if you WANT to splurge and get cheese on your burger.. just feed baby right before you eat or as you are eating. Then you can give baby a bottle of BM (if you're using bottles), and then pump & dump during the time she's getting the bottle... just for the emergencies.. ..... like mama needs ice cream. LOL

Also, a lot of people who are allergic to dairy can still have yogurt, because the lactose has changed into lactase during the process of turning the milk into yogurt.

What I did with DS1 and with DS3.. is I eliminated ALL dairy from my diet, then slowly started reintroducing it back in... I found that yogurt didn't bother them, in small doses. I could have one yogurt and one slice of cheese a day. But more than that, and it was tummy trouble!

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!

Last edited by Michelle_M; 07-05-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd is dairy free (and nut free). Your gonna have to get used to reading labels- there is milk in places you wouldn't imagine. On the opposite side of that there are products you would expect milk to be that there isn't any- i.e. Ritz Crackers- described as being buttery- no butter, no milk. Here are a few tips I hope help.

If you go to McDonalds- stop. Everything they have has milk whey added- even the fries.

Almost every restaurant has ingredients listed online. So you can pick what your eating before you go and you won't have to ask a clueless server.

Never ask the server- they won't know when it comes to milk or butter.

If you use butter or milk to make it home then so does the restaurant.

You can use your milk/butter sub of choice in place of cow's dairy in most recipes. Make sure if you make cookies that uses butter that you choose a sub the is at least 45%vegi oil- the more the better otherwise they don't turn out well- same for frosting.

There is one major cake brand (i can't remember the brand- just look at the nutrition guide on the box) that does not have milk- even the choc flavor. There is also one brand of frosting that doesn't have milk- even cream cheese flavor- not really sure how they do that.

You can sub olive oil in place of butter in savory dishes- rice, roasted chicken, etc

Rather than looking for dairy free recipes, alter the recipes you love using subs or skipping the dairy all together (if possible). If you need something specific- like for us it was pumpkin pie then search for a dairy free version. BTW I have an excellent recipe for milk free pumpkin pie- served it at Thanksgiving and no one knew it was a special recipe.

If you don't know- avoid anything that is "creamy". I believe I have a recipe for cream soups if you use it them for cooking.

Some snack ideas- don't know what you would normally eat, for me I would have a piece of fruit and cheese or yogurt. If this is the kind of snack you eat then sub the cheese with another protein like lunch meat or nuts. And they make soy yogurt.

Here are a few personal opinions: Soy ice cream and fake cream cheese taste horrible if your used to the real stuff- I wouldn't even bother. When your done nursing you can add those things back into your diet.

And for the future- I know your not anywhere near this yet, but its something I wish someone had told me- They're are several companies that make dairy and nut free choc Easter candy. We like Amanda's Own- its online and cost $15 for a small, solid choc bunny- but its only once a year and my dd loves them so we suck it up a spend the money.

I know I put a lot in here, I hope it helps. PM me if you want to pick my brain.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #5
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

I was vegan for a couple years so I basically made all my own food. I never ate out unless at a vegan restaurant, because like pp said, servers never know. Also, reading every label is a great suggestion!!!

I loved stuff like veggie pies- real easy. Make a simple dough with flour, water, vegetable oil, salt pepper. Then make a stir-fry of whatever veggies you like, olives, seasoned how you like (can add meat too). Then I would roll out medium sized peices of dough, stuff to one side, fold over and twist closed (that's always my fav part). Bake on 375 with some olive oil brushed on top and that's it. They're soooo good and you can easily re-heat them for a quick lunch/snack.

I also used to make a meatless meat loaf with tons of veggies, squash and nuts seasoned with rosemary and I used bread or quinoa to help it stick together, then I'd put sauce on top (usually tomato based) also so good as leftovers the next day, or easy lunch.

Plus things like fried (in olive oil) eggplant and zucchini are good finger foods, even good cold.

But the pp was giving you great advice when she said just make the things you normally would but find a way to do it dairy free. It's easier then you think, and as soon as the dairy is out of your system you probably won't crave it.
Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
emhammer0506
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
If you don't know- avoid anything that is "creamy". I believe I have a recipe for cream soups if you use it them for cooking.
Could you please post the recipe!!!

Thank you
Evelyn - Wife to the best hubby (05/06/05).., Mommy to H (8/4/08) with SPD - sensory seeker and S(12/7/10) with SPD - tactile defensive & possibly sensory seeker! We are a , donated breastmilk , , non-vaxing:, ing, non-circ family!!!
emhammer0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #7
Beth.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here are a couple of shopping guides that we use --

http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org...dance_List.pdf
http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org...avel_Cards.pdf

The moms on the KFA forums are awesome too!
Old 07-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
ChicanaCoqueta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

wow, you got lots of good info already wish I had read these 3 yrs ago LOL
my son has a cow dairy allergy too.
We buy alternatives like sheep and goat milks, yogurt, butter, and cheese
also, instead of dairy butter I found some "vegan buttery sticks" which are great!

We alternate b/w soy, almond, oat, and rice "milk" for cereal and drinking (although he's not a big milk drinker) I prefer him not consisting on soy

I also agree with checking labels, lots of things have whey and/or casein, so annoying!

GL
Old 07-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emhammer0506 View Post
Could you please post the recipe!!!

Thank you

The recipe is designed as a homemade thing using regular milk, but I made it using soy substitutes and it worked fine. I imagine any thicker milk would work, but if they have a heavy flavor it will flavor the soup. A thinner milk will probably work too, just may need to add more flour.

Cream of Anything Soup

2 Tbsp butter (or sub- I think I used Earth's Balance because its the easiest to get a hold of where I live)
2 Tbsp flour
1 cup milk
1/4 cup of whatever chopped ingred- chicken, onion, mushroom, celery, roasted garlic, whatever you want your soup to be.
Salt and pepper to taste
As always play around with your spices/seasonings.

In saucepan melt butter. Add you whatever ingred and saute until soft/cooked. Sprinkle in flour and stir to incorporate over med-low heat for 2 to 3 mins- stirring constantly. Slowly whisk in milk. Cook until thickened. Use as you would use canned soup in a recipe.