Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-06-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
hmc102
Registered Users
seller

newbie needs advice

Hi! I am 14 weeks pregnant and am almost (not completely!!) clueless about CDing. Just cant imagine us contributing all those sposies in the landfill!!!! Is it best to use prefolds with newborns? up to 4 mos? 6 mos? and what is the best material? and best covers?

do all you experienced mommies prefer switching to fitteds? pockets? and when do you recommend this switch?

I want to start buying some used items long before baby gets here so we arent overwhelmed with decisions at the end.

Please feel free to give any helpful input!!!

Advertisement

hmc102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: newbie needs advice

I prefer prefolds/covers for the newborn stage most of all. They pee and poop SO much it is really economical to use prefolds because they get washed a lot, and can take a good beating. No elastic to wear out, 100% cotton, bleach-able, they're just so easy to wash. The jelly-roll fold is my favorite because it contains all the runny poo the best. Thirsties covers are nice, anything with a double gusset is nearly bulletproof.

I loved prefolds so much that I got the next size up as my baby grew, now I still use them almost all the time at home, but I made a slight change by using pockets in my diaperbag and for nighttime. Main reasons I use pockets on the go are:

-all one piece when its prestuffed and very easy to change anywhere (even in a car or on my lap, lol)
-stay dry lining because a diaper when I'm out of the house is usually on for longer than it would be if I was home
- and maybe this reason is silly, but I like using a "modern" diaper out and about in case people see how cloth diapering has changed and is super easy.

Last edited by mariamommy; 07-06-2011 at 08:30 PM.
mariamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
Mom22Boys2005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've NEVER used prefolds for much of anything and I've CD'd three kids. They make great kitchen towels That is just a preference thing, though. It is by far the cheapest way to go and they are the easiest to wash/deal with.

I've always preferred pockets, from birth on. I like to buy a stash of fitteds for newborns too because they don't always need a cover since they poop so often, their diapers aren't even always wet before they need changing anyway.

I use Hybrid diapers now, though, because it works best for my heat rash prone DD.

So, really it just boils down to preference. If cost was an issue for me, though, I'd be looking into prefolds and fitteds for a newborn, and only moving to more pricey diapers at around 6 months. You just don't get a lot of use out of NB and even smalls. My kids have all been in mediums by about 6 months, at which time I switch to OS diapers for the most part. If cost isnt an issue, just get all different things so you can see what you prefer to use.
Mom22Boys2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #4
Kenner82
Registered Users
seller

We did prefolds on our baby until he fit into the small Fuzzibunz my friend handed down to me. Now we still use prefolds when he will be going for longer stretches of time or if I think an epic poop might be coming our way I HIGHLY recommend holding off on getting anything until the baby is here, and then doing a cloth diaper trial program. (Jillian's Drawers has a newborn cloth diaper trial for $10, I think). My baby was born early and was only 5 pounds, so because I already had the small FB, I decided to buy a whole stash of XS . . . massive fail! Poop was going everywhere because his thighs were too skinny and he was just too scrawny for all the other options we tried. I wasted so much money by buying the diapers before I realized they didn't work! You also have no idea what you will end up liking until you use them (I thought I'd ADORE the Kissaluvs fitteds, but hated how long they took to dry and thought they weren't any more absorbent than prefolds. Thought I'd hate prefolds, but found they were the only thing that worked for my baby, and my hubby loved how economical they were. Also, they have been great as burp rags because my baby spits up everywhere!)

So have some fun doing some research, maybe buy some prefolds and covers (I agree with mariamommy, Thirsties double leg gussets are PHENOMENAL!) and once you bring the baby home, do a cloth trial and see how fitteds, pockets, AIOs, and prefolds actually work for all of you. Then keep what you like, send back what you don't, and get the most for your money!
Kenner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i loved prefolds for the newborn stage. they were super easy and cheap! after that i love just about all the different types of diapers, lol http://www.the-cloth-diaper-connecti...ganewborn.html
Old 07-07-2011, 07:55 AM   #6
hmc102
Registered Users
seller

Thanks Mommies!

For those of you who used prefolds in the older months, did u find that they get kinda bulky on older babies? I feel like I have seen some babies that actually look uncomfortable in some huge, bulky prefolds... like their legs were being pushed too far apart!!

@ Kenner82... where can we get some diapers on trial? I can try and send back for my money back if I dont like them? that sounds wonderful!!

This may sound like a stupid question... but i gotta know! what do you do with a stinky, poopy diaper while you are out? carry it around with you?? help!
hmc102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:17 AM   #7
BKmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
You'll need a travel wetbag for diapers on the go! Check out Jillian's drawers for the trial. It explains everything!! GL!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #8
Kenner82
Registered Users
seller

You can Google "cloth diaper trial" and there are a lot of different stores that do them. I liked the one at Jillian's Drawers best (I think it is the most well known one, and I liked that they had a newborn specific one. I also think it was cheapest). The way they usually work is you pay a deposit to cover the cost of the diapers (so that if you flake and never send them back, they aren't screwed over!) Then you get to use the diapers for a set period of time (usually 2-3 weeks). Then you can return any or all of them that you don't want and you're refunded most of the deposit (I think the Jillian's Drawers one cost $10, so if I hadn't wanted to keep anything at all, I get the deposit minus $10 back. You do pay for the return shipping, also). It was a FANTASTIC way to find out what worked well and then you have the option to send everything back and find it all on FSOT if you have the time and energy, or just keep them and order more of the same!
Kenner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #9
Leocaligirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Prefolds for the NB stage. Also aio's for nighttime, daddy and going out.
once they get bigger I start using pf's less and pockets and AIO's more although around the house during the day I will use pf's.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #10
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmc102 View Post
Thanks Mommies!

For those of you who used prefolds in the older months, did u find that they get kinda bulky on older babies? I feel like I have seen some babies that actually look uncomfortable in some huge, bulky prefolds... like their legs were being pushed too far apart!!

@ Kenner82... where can we get some diapers on trial? I can try and send back for my money back if I dont like them? that sounds wonderful!!

This may sound like a stupid question... but i gotta know! what do you do with a stinky, poopy diaper while you are out? carry it around with you?? help!
I get sized prefolds (not infant or premium), so they aren't bulky at all, imo.

Get a diaper-bag sized zippered wet bag (the small bummis ones are awesome!) and stick the dirty diaper in the wet bag til you get home, then deal with it as you normally would.