Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-07-2011, 04:12 AM   #1
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Oh no...maybe did something bad

I've been ridiculously sick for the last week: severe sore throat, severe sinus pressure, ear pain, neck stiffness/pain from sinuses etc.

On 3 or 4 occasions I've taken a cocktail of Tylenol, ibuprofen, and OTC sudafed. It's the only thing that has made life even somewhat tolerable - I was seriously ready to go to the ER with the debilitating pain and discomfort. I'd read that they are okay to take but of course no medication is ideal etc etc.

Well now I've read of some terrible damage I could have done to my little embryo with the sudafed and ibuprofen and I'm pretty sick about it all . Obviously there is nothing I can do about it now except stop which I absolutely have done but stressing about for 8 more months isn't going to be good either...maybe some words of encouragement or just some hugs? Anecdotal stories?

Advertisement

DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
silvermaille
Registered Users
seller

Re: Oh no...maybe did something bad

So you're only a month pregnant? If that's the case, you should be okay. Most damage is done after drugs go through the placenta. If you can do a nasal rinse twice a day, it will help you get over it quicker. It's best if you use it right at the beginning. It's not a fun thing to do but it is safe and it's a natural way of helping.

Married to DH for 18 years, Mom to a little miracle queen bee (3/10)
silvermaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:49 AM   #3
xixicama
Registered Users
seller

pp's got it right. if you're very early on in your pregnancy there are no worries. they live off their yolk sac for a while before developing the placenta, which you then need to watch what you do!
Old 07-07-2011, 07:28 AM   #4
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thank you. That helps ease my mind so much. I never worried much before but I had a loss last August and am now a bit paranoid about losing this little bean.
DS WAHM thread

Last edited by Bukawww; 07-07-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
sheenashine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mama, I agree with everyone else. I think the placenta takes over fully at about 10 weeks.
Think of it this way, most woman don't even find out they are pregnant until AF is waaaaay late, think of all the Tylenol (and who knows what else) they are taking not even knowing! Heck, with my second I was on the pill and my period was all wonky... it took weeks (if not closer to a month!) before I found out I was pregnant with her. And I was on the pill the whole time. She's a perfectly healthy, happy, bright 11 year old. <3
Deep breath, I'm sure your little emby is perfectly safe and healthy.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
bezark
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenashine
mama, I agree with everyone else. I think the placenta takes over fully at about 10 weeks.
Think of it this way, most woman don't even find out they are pregnant until AF is waaaaay late, think of all the Tylenol (and who knows what else) they are taking not even knowing! Heck, with my second I was on the pill and my period was all wonky... it took weeks (if not closer to a month!) before I found out I was pregnant with her. And I was on the pill the whole time. She's a perfectly healthy, happy, bright 11 year old. <3
Deep breath, I'm sure your little emby is perfectly safe and healthy.

Has something changed? Are we no longer "allowed" to take Tylenol while gestating? Please tell me there's something I'll still be allowed to take when the first tri headaches start for me.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 07-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
sheenashine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezark View Post

Has something changed? Are we no longer "allowed" to take Tylenol while gestating? Please tell me there's something I'll still be allowed to take when the first tri headaches start for me.

Lol. Yeah, that wasn't very clear... I wasn't meaning to insinuate Tylenol was bad. I was just saying, woman take all sorts of things before they know they are pregnant and their babies are just fine.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Good point - I had gotten silly drunk the week before I found out I was preggo with dd1 and she's mostly ok lol. I think between feeling awful and fighting the nausea but appreciating it all the same, ive just let my paranoia get the best of me. I took my pregnancies for granted before I had the loss (I also always had guilt over how healthy my babies were when other mamas wanted babies so badly and couldn't)...but I want this baby very much and feel like it's so much more fragile since my body let me down last august.

I wasn't worried about the Tylenol (thank goodness for that, it is the only thing making life tolerable right now) - just the ibuprofen and sudafed but tell me more about thus first tri headache you get...I assume mine is due to the sinuses and illness I'm dealing with right now but this is unlike any headache I've ever had including sinus related.
DS WAHM thread
Old 07-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
sheenashine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukawww View Post
Good point - I had gotten silly drunk the week before I found out I was preggo with dd1 and she's mostly ok lol. I think between feeling awful and fighting the nausea but appreciating it all the same, ive just let my paranoia get the best of me. I took my pregnancies for granted before I had the loss (I also always had guilt over how healthy my babies were when other mamas wanted babies so badly and couldn't)...but I want this baby very much and feel like it's so much more fragile since my body let me down last august.

I wasn't worried about the Tylenol (thank goodness for that, it is the only thing making life tolerable right now) - just the ibuprofen and sudafed but tell me more about thus first tri headache you get...I assume mine is due to the sinuses and illness I'm dealing with right now but this is unlike any headache I've ever had including sinus related.
I could have written this word for word.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
bezark
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukawww

I'm not sure what causes them for me. Extra blood volume? Hormones? Stuffy swollen nose? I dunno. I had them daily from 6-15 weeks with DS, and from 5-7 weeks (when the pregnancy ended) with the MC I had in October.

With DS I still got them a few times a week for the rest of the pregnancy, but not as frequent or as intense as those first 10 weeks.

I'm only 4 weeks now so I'm still headache free, but I'm sure they'll kick my butt soon enough. Tylenol doesn't do a heck of a lot for me, but it's better than nothing.