Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
twinmomma07
Registered Users

My Mood:
? About Cereal and BLW???

Just curious, why anti-cereal? I'm confused about the frequent statements that cereals offer no nutritional value. Are people only referring to the boxed baby cereals?

I have been using the Super Babyfood book by Ruth Yaron for years and my now four year olds still eat the grain cereals I make. I grind my own grains--barley, millet, brown rice, quinoa and they love it just about every morning.

I don't plan on introducing solids to my 6 month old any time soon, but when I do I thought the first foods for number 4 would certainly be a homemade grain cereal (mixed with breastmilk) and perhaps some avocado. Am I missing something Are homemade grain cereals now bad for babies? We are veg so quinoa is one of those grains I have always pushed on my kiddos with no problems. All of my other kiddos ate small amounts of cereal around 8-9 months and were great eaters and nursers well after a year.

Just curious.

Advertisement

Last edited by twinmomma07; 07-06-2011 at 11:20 AM.
twinmomma07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I think most are talking about iron fortified baby rice cereal. I made my own with ODD just like yours, but she wanted to feed herself. Fruits and veggies are more nutrient dense than most cereals and many use blw which for obvious reasons doesn't include spoon fed cereals.
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: ? About Cereal and BLW???

We don't do cereals for infants. I am really only opposed personally though to the boxed "fortified" cereals. If I were going to offer cereals I would do it the way you do by making it myself. We have a pretty strong family history of celiac disease though so we in general avoid grains until they are a bit older. Also I prefer to let my kids feed themselves and they couldn't have fed themselves cereal at that age. Now once they can spoon feed themselves both of my girls love steel cut oats and ask for it for multiple meals a day, same thing for quinoa made into a cereal.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
doodle19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliz7 View Post
I think most are talking about iron fortified baby rice cereal. I made my own with ODD just like yours, but she wanted to feed herself. Fruits and veggies are more nutrient dense than most cereals and many use blw which for obvious reasons doesn't include spoon fed cereals.
well said
Old 07-07-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
twinmomma07
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbabybottoms View Post
We don't do cereals for infants. I am really only opposed personally though to the boxed "fortified" cereals. If I were going to offer cereals I would do it the way you do by making it myself. We have a pretty strong family history of celiac disease though so we in general avoid grains until they are a bit older. Also I prefer to let my kids feed themselves and they couldn't have fed themselves cereal at that age. Now once they can spoon feed themselves both of my girls love steel cut oats and ask for it for multiple meals a day, same thing for quinoa made into a cereal.
Ahhh, I didn't even think about celiac disease That makes sense to me as a reason not to introduce cereals/grains. I also understand why someone following a blw protocol would not introduce cereal I was just really wondering if not introducing grains/cereal had anything to do with nutrition.

I was reading through the comments in the other thread about cereal and was very confused as to why people kept saying grain cereals offered no nutritional value. I have never used boxed or jarred baby food so I wasn't sure if they were just referring to this or if all grains/cereals were now deemed "unhealthy" for small children. Food and nutrition just fascinates me and I am always interested in the ever-changing rules as to what society deems healthy or unhealthy.