Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
UCmama09
Registered Users
seller

-

-

Advertisement

Last edited by UCmama09; 06-25-2012 at 08:30 PM.
UCmama09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Good news!!

That is nice to know what you will do. I just lost my insurance so I don't know what to do about the dating ultrasound. I am planning on a midwife-attended birth, buying don't know who, or how I will pay for it.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
loving my family
Registered Users

I have had no insurance with my last 2 pregnancy it was cheaper to pay out of pocket to my OB than it was with insurance. I have had the same OB with all 4 of my pregnancy's.

The hospital will charge me around 2,600.00 if paid in full before you are discharged & leave, But if you have not paid in full before you walk out those doors it will & can be up wards of 17,000.00 dollars. Huge incentive to pay ahead of time my Ob fee if paid by 28 weeks is only 1,500.00 if you wait tell your 40 weeks it an extra 500.00 hope this helps.
congrats to both of you
loving my family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the info! I think I am most worried about the cost if we do have to transfer. There is no way I could pay 2600$ at one time.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
sheenashine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yey! Don't you just love it when things come together?
Old 07-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #6
sheenashine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
Thanks for the info! I think I am most worried about the cost if we do have to transfer. There is no way I could pay 2600$ at one time.
Check with the hospitals in your area, some of them may have grants set up to help those without insurance. I ended up the the hospital for a week once, without insurance. Luckily they were one of those hospitals with grants- I applied, was approved and moved on.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
loving my family
Registered Users

Well you pay it in payments just like the Ob office its that they want the money all of that by the time you go to leave the hospital, so you just do monthly payments tell you deliver and 1 more before you leave the hospital.

Like I said with insurance it cost us more out of pocket than self paying, we save like a thousand & something all together. Its crazy!!
loving my family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
m&m&m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:

most places will let you do a payment plan and pay a little each month so by the time you give birth it is mostly pre-paid. Is there a free-standing birth center in your area, or perhaps having a home birth?
m&m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #9
ommelissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yay, UC, I'm glad you figured something out to get the U/S you wanted!

Quote:
That is nice to know what you will do. I just lost my insurance so I don't know what to do about the dating ultrasound. I am planning on a midwife-attended birth, buying don't know who, or how I will pay for it.
You could also contact a local midwife and offer your doula services for trade... a lot of midwives are willing to barter. If nothing else, you could be a gofer ...getting her lunch between appointments, helping with filing, on the clean-up crew or whatever.
I don't do U/S's unless there's a diagnostic need so I can't help you there.

Quote:
Maybe apply for medicaid? You wouldn't have to use it if you had a HB unless you needed to transfer. Then you wouldn't be faced with astronomical medical debt if the unexpected happened.

Last edited by ommelissa; 07-08-2011 at 07:12 PM.
ommelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #10
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh and I meant the 20- week anatomy ultrasound ; I think we will only have that one.

We don't qualify for Medicaid - we make just enough to not get assistance, but not enough to afford private insurance to add DD and me to my husband's insurance would be 500$ a month.