Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
Kestlyn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Any way to increase hindmilk?

I make a lot of milk. But when you look at it separated there is barely any oil/fat/cream on top...and as a result my LO (4 weeks) is hungry all the time and not gaining much weight despite eating enough times and having 12+ wet and/or dirty diapers a day. My doctor thinks she doesn't drink enough yet to get to the hind milk, and that there's not much of it since I make so much fore milk. So we're pumping and scraping the little bit of cream off to supplement breastfeedings. I'm allergic to milk and wheat. Any ideas on fattening up the milk?

Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Any way to increase hindmilk?

Have you seen an IBCLC? It sounds like you need to get more information about what's really going on. Have you done a pre- and post-feeding weigh to see how much she's taking in?

Nursing for longer on each side--maybe only one side per feeding--and doing breast compressions while nursing are the two things that probably make a difference in the amount of fat in your milk for a particular feeding. Changes in the mother's diet don't seem to make a difference in the amount of fat.

This Kellymom page is really interesting: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/milk/change-milkfat.html

Quote:
Does the amount of fat in mom's milk make a difference when it comes to baby's growth?

The research tells us that baby's milk intake (the volume of milk - not the amount of fat in that milk) is the only thing that has been correlated with infant growth in exclusively breastfed babies. As noted earlier, average fat content of human milk is highly variable, but has not proven to be significant when calculating baby's total energy intake or weight gain. (Aksit 2002, Butte 1984, Cregan 1999, Mitoulas 2003, Mitoulas 2002.)
Old 07-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Do you block feed or always nurse from both breasts at feedings?
Old 07-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #4
Kestlyn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have not seen an IBCLC (looking it up, thanks for the link too), but know that she's getting 2-3 ounces per feeding (8-9 times per day) and doesn't want more. I also nurse both sides most feedings but leave her on one side for at least 20 minutes in hope that she's getting to the good stuff. I can easily pump 6-8 ounces at a time if I replace a feeding (with my last LO I could get 10-14 ounces a pumping session by 2 months), and 3-4 ounces after a feeding. That's why my pediatrician told me to start keeping track of how it looked since (he said) most moms didn't get that much. Thanks for the advice
Old 07-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
Kestlyn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, if it makes a difference, she only weighed 6 pounds 4 oz at birth and we're finally back up there after a week of the "cream" supplements 2-3 times a day (she's been gaining about an ounce per day with added cream).
Old 07-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #6
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

8 to 9 times is basically the minimum for a baby that young. Do you think she would nurse more often, if she is always acting hungry? I would aim for 12 or more feedings per day.

Does she have green poop? That would be a sign that she's getting too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk.

To find an IBCLC, use this link: http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3432

How much is she gaining per week?
Old 07-07-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
Kestlyn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think she would eat every hour (for 45 minutes) if I let her during certain times of day lol. Also, her poop was more green until we started the cream and now it's finally to mustard yellow, but still not seedy yet. Thanks again for the link The first couple of weeks she lost weight. 3 week weight check she had only gained 4 ounces. I've been weighing regularly the past week only, but she's gained 8 ounces in 7 days with the cream.
On that first link it's interesting that it mentioned the fat in a full breast verses more empty, and my doc mentioned me pumping first and then feeding her as something else to try.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:43 PM   #8
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would let her nurse at those times when she seems to want to every hour, for forty five minutes--and on only one side per feeding. That might take the place of your supplementing with the skimmed-off fat--she'll probably nurse the hindmilk directly instead of you having to pump it and supplement with it.

If she's having weight gain issues, I would not deny her an opportunity to nurse at any time that she is interested.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #9
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Personally, in your situation, if you were to come see me, I would tell you to banker down and nurse straight for two-4 days. Feed baby when baby wants. Pumping/nursing/ pumping can mess your supply up alot especially since your baby and you have no good routine and that it's sporadic and you may have over supply. Nurse off the same breast for 2 hrs (meAnjng if she wants to eat that is the only breast u give) according to ur numbers that will be sufficient milk
Intake.

Right now ur baby takes in approximately 1 ounce per hour. That's it. Thought it wAs more, right? Everyone does, lol. But fact based evidence proves otherwise. The baby at the breast, unlimited is what solves a majority of issues. And some babies, won't scream and demand food. In the lactation world it's called 'happy to starve' so it's imperative a newbie eats 10-12x a day. I like 12 or more for a new nursing mom. Let's all admit, there is a learning curve for nursing, some of us have been through it! My first LO lost alot of weight but second time around, my LO never lost an ounce. Lol. He was at breast nonstop and we kept visitors to 2-3 day and spaced them out.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:53 PM   #10
Kestlyn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just wanted to stop in and once again say thank you to everybody for your thoughts and advice. After a week and a half of just nursing we're off the supplemental cream feedings and my supply has dropped to a level that releases the hind milk sooner. WooHoo! Of course now our sleep schedule is all kinds of crazy mixed up lol, but we'll figure that out too. even when a bit sleep deprived