Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #21
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenoraE
One here too, but thicker than your photo... well - the base part is thicker, like the triangle doesn't have a sharp point on it. I read about this from a FB post by KellyMom from the Funny Shaped Woman blog, otherwise I'd have no idea about it. In the beginning BFing was so painful I cried often. Thank goodness this was # 2 or I'd definitely have given it up. Now it's not amazingly comfortable by any means, but it's not painful. Pedi didn't really seem concerned - mostly because he's gaining weight just fine. He said I could take a wet washcloth and rub the part that would end up being between his front teeth to try to thin it / stretch it. I haven't done much of this due to teething. His latch for the first 6ish weeks or so was terribly shallow. We shall see what he says @ his 9 month appt next month. It's ironic because both myself and DS # 1 have almost no lower frenulum connection on our tongues so we can stick them out CRAZY (Gene Simmons) far. Then there's DS # 2 with upper tie and a pretty short lower frenulum too. Sigh. Poor kiddo!
I didn't know Kelly mom had a fb page.

I know what u mean. I also cried at the pain. When I told her first ped about it he treated us for thrush. Didn't even bother looking at her mouth and watched us nurse!!! She can stick her tongue out, not very far, but past her lips. I'm hoping she doesn't have tongue tie too!

Advertisement

Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #22
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainshine Designs
I know how you feel...we struggled for 6 weeks with weight loss and inneffective nursing issues only to have ME discover at 6 weeks old that my DD had a cleft of her soft palate! How do the doctor's possibly miss something like that!?! My DD ALSO had the upper lip tie and as a PP posted, once she was up and mobile she tore it sliding down the stairs on her face
That's what everyone keeps saying. (about them tearing it). Seems like it's less traumatic just to get it clipped when they are tiny.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #23
NikkiGig
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliabell
Okay, the website on the handout she gave me is www.beckmanoralmotor.com but I can't find the handout online. There is a list of therapists though so you may be able to find an OT to help you out and look at it. If they do recommend getting it clipped they can refer you to a dentist who would do it. My OT did mention that it can interfere with orthodontic work later (a large lip tie can create a gap that won't close.)

HTH! Feel free to PM me if you want info on the stretches
We went to Beckman this past Tuesday since we just spent a week in the hospital for FTT. I am not sure they even looked for an upper lip tie because now that I look my DD definitely has it. now what do I do?
& Finnley Evan 2013 [2VBA2C]
NikkiGig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #24
sdsalyer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I am very sad and upset that I never knew my now 18 month old had this. I went to many lactation meeting at my hospital and nobody thought to check this. I was only able to nurse for 3 months due to many things which were most likely resulting from her upper lip tie. I beat myself up so much when I wasn't able to continue to breastfeed my baby. If it was something as simple as a small piece of skin that no doctor thought of checking for I will be even more upset.
I am tearing up just thinking that I could have had a wonderful BF experience if I had only new this information a year and a half ago:-(
Old 07-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #25
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm so glad you found it! I remember your previous thread. We didn't find Ds upper lip and tongue tie until 5 mo. So I understand. Those five months were brutal. Brutal. We clipped both. He's nursing fine now - he turns one tomorrow. I still take herbs to help with supply - I think the up and down for five months wrecked it. Anyway, he plays with his tongue and can get a pretty good full flange. It took a couple weeks to relearn latch but huge improvement the next day. When we researched that a strong lip and tongue tie could cause speech problems and rare but possible breathing issues we decided to clip (that was for the combo).

I know it's so frustrating that it took this long but be glad you found it and can continue to nurse. Not all ties are found and many mamas stop nursing feeling like they failed. Celebrate the fact that you have knowledge now.

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #26
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Upper lip tie..

I just looked at my DS and he seems to have a pretty pronounced one, too! He is not a great nurser and has some of the problems that can be caused by lip tie, like clicking and breaking suction frequently. Thankfully he is gaining well because I have a huge oversupply.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #27
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake
I just looked at my DS and he seems to have a pretty pronounced one, too! He is not a great nurser and has some of the problems that can be caused by lip tie, like clicking and breaking suction frequently. Thankfully he is gaining well because I have a huge oversupply.
Exactly! Ditto! I am just crossing my fingers that her ped won't be resistant to for the referral.

And all the mamas who are upset they never noticed, don't beat yourself up! It's not your fault.

I wish that medical professionals were more educated on this, could have saved us all alot of heart ache.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:08 PM   #28
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aumismommy
I'm so glad you found it! I remember your previous thread. We didn't find Ds upper lip and tongue tie until 5 mo. So I understand. Those five months were brutal. Brutal. We clipped both. He's nursing fine now - he turns one tomorrow. I still take herbs to help with supply - I think the up and down for five months wrecked it. Anyway, he plays with his tongue and can get a pretty good full flange. It took a couple weeks to relearn latch but huge improvement the next day. When we researched that a strong lip and tongue tie could cause speech problems and rare but possible breathing issues we decided to clip (that was for the combo).

I know it's so frustrating that it took this long but be glad you found it and can continue to nurse. Not all ties are found and many mamas stop nursing feeling like they failed. Celebrate the fact that you have knowledge now.
Thank you. I knew no matter what I wouldn't stop nursing, but some people aren't as stubborn as i am!
Old 07-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #29
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsalyer
I am very sad and upset that I never knew my now 18 month old had this. I went to many lactation meeting at my hospital and nobody thought to check this. I was only able to nurse for 3 months due to many things which were most likely resulting from her upper lip tie. I beat myself up so much when I wasn't able to continue to breastfeed my baby. If it was something as simple as a small piece of skin that no doctor thought of checking for I will be even more upset.
I am tearing up just thinking that I could have had a wonderful BF experience if I had only new this information a year and a half ago:-(
You did your best mama! How were you to know? It sucks that all those people around you never once thought to check, but its not your fault. Now you can tell others and maybe help another mama out.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #30
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Upper lip tie..

I have a friend who is a PA in family practice and I'm going to ask her to look at my DS. I would really like DS's nursing to get better.