Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-31-2007, 09:23 PM   #1
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

How many times did you knowingly expose your dc's to cp before they got it??

My DD's have been exposed to CP THREE times in the last six weeks, the most recent time being almost 3 weeks ago. And nothing...no spots no symptoms, nothing. After the first time I broke out in 3 chicken pox and had a fever and whatnot, did everything I could to expose my girls to it, and still nothing!

I had 3 VACCINATED children that I babysit get the chicken pox (not from me, from another child at the daycare) But not my girls!

How long did it take before your unvaxed child got the CP?

Advertisement

EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:39 PM   #2
marcia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How many times did you knowingly expose your dc's to cp before they got it??

should be within 2 weeks of being exposed.
some people are "immuned" to it themselves. hopefully your kids are.
marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:11 PM   #3
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How many times did you knowingly expose your dc's to cp before they got it??

Were/are your kids BF? If you had it as a child and BF then you've passed your life-long immunities to them. I don't know if it would be life long for them, but since they're still little (and especially if you're still BFing) the immunities may still be in their systems.

That's my guess anyway.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:15 PM   #4
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would never purposely try to get my child sick, vaxed or unvaxed....I just don't get it.

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:43 PM   #5
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've never had CP and looked after all my friends kids while they had it. My younger Ds was exposed at 6 weeks old, (still nursing) as his big brother got it at school.
Since then Ds#2 has been exposed lots of times, not on purpose and still hasn't had it. I think I must have passed some pretty strong antibodies onto that kid, he's 13 now and CP free as I am.
Maybe you passed on life long immunity to your guys too. I've given up wating for Ds 2 to catch it.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:35 PM   #6
happyhomemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I took my kids 3 times to chicken pox parties. No go. Then my dd comes down with it and we have no idea where she got it from. My son got it exactly 21 days after my dd came down with it. We were chicken pox happy for a long time. I know there are probably more natural remedies but I gave my kids benadryl and oatmeal baths and they barely itched at all.

I intentionally exposed my dd to chicken pox(not that it worked) because it is potentially fatal for a baby while you are pregnant and I did not want her to have to worry when she was older.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:20 AM   #7
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

My oldest got it from the 2 kids I babysat who had CP.

I presume my middle dd(who was 10months) got it from my neighbor's kids, though I didn't find out her kids had CP until after mine broke out it them and she hadn't really been around them.

I have no idea where my youngest got them from. We knew of nobody who'd had them, nobody in her playschool had them because they were shocked when I told her that she wouldn't be there for a couple of weeks.

FWIW I never gave the girls anything and other than seeing the pox you'd never know they were "supposed to be sick".
Old 04-01-2007, 09:00 AM   #8
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
I would never purposely try to get my child sick, vaxed or unvaxed....I just don't get it.
Because CP in an otherwise healthy child is just a little bit of fever and some itchy spots. CP in an adult is HORRORS. My sisters, my cousin, and I all got it at the same time when I was 9yo and there wasn't much to it. But my aunt's boyfriend caught it and he was sick for 3 times as long as us, had way more pox than us, and he said he was MISERABLE and could barely get out of bed.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:22 PM   #9
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Old 04-01-2007, 07:31 PM   #10
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
That's completely not what this was about and it offered no input to the question I asked, but I exposed them accidentally twice (two kids at the daycare I work at had it 2 different times), and purposely once (while I had it, not like I could avoid it anyways) because I don't want them to get it when they are older because it is a lot more dangerous then. Yet I won't vaccinate them against it because it's showing a 70% failure rate by 15 years of age. Much rather have them get it now and get it over with than when they are 18 or 19 and their vax fails them and they end up in bed for 3 weeks or in the hospital. If I ever have the opportunity to go to a pox party, I will be there no question.

My DD1 was breastfed for 6 months and DD2 is still breastfed at 15 months. My mom NEVER had the pox and she raised 3 kids that had them as well as babysat for several while they had them (she was the only sitter willing to take them!) Her titer levels tested positive for immunity (yay!)

So I kind of wondered if that might be the case for my girls.

Anyways, they'll probably get it as soon as I stop watching for spots
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote