Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
melilo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pumping at work beyond 1 year...

As my son approaches his first birthday, I have a few questions for veterans out there who have kept pumping beyond the first year.

1. Do you still pump as much, or have you cut back the number of times you pump? I am currently pumping twice per 8 hour shift.

2. Do you still give them milk in a bottle, or would you start to put it in a sippy or other cup? He still gets milk in bottles, but he does drink juice and water from a sippy.

3. How long did you pump at work, and did you get any flack for doing it longer than 1 year? I don't expect any, but I will be armed with witty responses just in case. And, I know technically the law only protects the right to pump for the first 12 months.

Thanks. =)

Advertisement

Rubber City Doula You Deserve A Doula!
DONA Trained Birth Doula
melilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
pharmgirl13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pumping at work beyond 1 year...

I am struggling with the same scenario. I think I am going to cut down to once a day, then stop pumping at a year and just nurse at bedtime and on demand when I am at home. DD drinks BM out of a sippy and doesn't need to nurse/take a bottle for naps so I think she'll be fine.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
seacat
Registered Users
seller

1. Do you still pump as much, or have you cut back the number of times you pump? I am currently pumping twice per 8 hour shift. We have since weaned, but we made it a year and a half. I never reduced the amount of times I pumped in a day. It was always 2-3.

2. Do you still give them milk in a bottle, or would you start to put it in a sippy or other cup? He still gets milk in bottles, but he does drink juice and water from a sippy. We started cows milk at around a year and I used that in his sippy cups. I kept the BM for the bottle. We did one bottle in the am, one at nap time, and one in the evening. A half a sippy of whole milk at meals.

3. How long did you pump at work, and did you get any flack for doing it longer than 1 year? I don't expect any, but I will be armed with witty responses just in case. And, I know technically the law only protects the right to pump for the first 12 months. I got flack, but it was more funny ha, ha. One of the other female attorneys called me her hero - she stopped pumping at 3 months.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mine just turned 1. I went from pumping twice at work to just once. I didn't get any flack for it, but my boss did ask after their birthday if I'd still need to pump. We do sippys during thd day and bottles for nighttime.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
SenoraE
Registered Users
seller

1. With DS # 1 I cut down to 1 pumping at work since I already had a HUGE freezer stockpile. I still nursed on demand weekends / evenings / mornings.

2. I put it in a sippy around 13 - 14 months.

3. I teach, so that impacts it a bit. DS was a January baby, and I pumped at work until June the following year. Then it turned into summer vacation and he self weaned over that time. Our contract allows pumping time through the child's SECOND b-day, which is pretty darn cool. Kudos to our little district! It was pretty easy for me, though, as DS # 1 was a preemie, and people seemed to realize how important it was for him to stay healthy and on his specific diet, as he had a lot of food related issues, and dairy was a big struggle in the beginning for him.

Good luck, Mama!
Old 07-13-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

1. Do you still pump as much, or have you cut back the number of times you pump? I am currently pumping twice per 8 hour shift.
Up until 13 months I was pumping twice and nursing once during my workday (over lunch). At 13 months I stopped nursing over lunch, but continued pumping twice. At 15 months I went down to pumping once. At about 18 months I started pumping for less time and then skipping days. By 20 months I was done pumping. She still nurses at home 2, sometimes 3, times per day.

2. Do you still give them milk in a bottle, or would you start to put it in a sippy or other cup? He still gets milk in bottles, but he does drink juice and water from a sippy.
I continued to send the milk in the bottles that I pumped it in. At 13 months she was drinking it out of sippy cups though, which the DCP just transferred the milk into as needed. As I started pumping less, I just sent whatever I had to daycare, and she drank cow's milk in addition.

3. How long did you pump at work, and did you get any flack for doing it longer than 1 year? I don't expect any, but I will be armed with witty responses just in case. And, I know technically the law only protects the right to pump for the first 12 months.
I did not get flack for pumping at work, but I have always been pretty vocal about breastfeeding issues. I was the one who lobbied to create a lactation room, and several of my co-workers were also using it. I was/am known as the breastfeeding guru and random people know that I'm the breastfeeding lady. I think my boss knew not to make an issue of it! But besides that, he was never anything but supportive.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:58 PM   #7
mamayogibear
Registered Users

My Mood:

So for those of you who pumped beyond a year: Do you have a nanny or another family member watch your lo when at work? Or does your daycare allow breastmilk for kids over one year?
My son was in daycare between 4 and 8 months but right now I work at home but will be back in daycare when he turns one. I will breastfeed him still so I don't want him to get other 'milks' (we don't do dairy) but I'm not sure if daycares allow breastmilk for kids in the toddler (1-2yrs) room. I will be going to school to be an RN and the daycare is on campus so if they say no to feeding him breastmilk I could nurse him between classes but then it wouldn't be with meals or on demand.
Sorry if I'm hijacking here
Old 07-15-2011, 05:29 AM   #8
kanga1622
Registered Users

We use a home daycare and she has been great. She has no problem with DS getting breastmilk and using cloth diapers. You might have more issues in a center but honestly, if they "allow" bottles, it should make difference what is in them.

We are now at 16 months trying to transition away from breastmilk during the day so that I can quit pumping. Now DS uses his Klean Kanteen pretty well so I feel like he will be hydrated enough (and he eats table food like he may never get another meal).
Old 07-15-2011, 05:38 AM   #9
kanga1622
Registered Users

To answer the original questions:
At about 15 months I dropped from pumping 4 times a shift to pumping twice and nursing at lunch. We do not give DS cow's milk or juice to drink so he gets water with meals. We started cutting back on how many ounces DS gets in each bottle in an effort to transition to no pumping by mid-August. For me 17 months is old enough for him to just drink water when we are apart and he can nurse on demand when I am at home.

My boss has never questioned my pumping this long. I mentioned hoping to be done before school starts again (I work at a college) but she told me not to worry and do what works best for us. For a woman with no kids, she has been so supportive. She was actually surprised the first time she saw me walking to the fridge with my milk; she didn't know it looked similar to cow's milk.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:42 AM   #10
Lilysmom10
Registered Users

1. Do you still pump as much, or have you cut back the number of times you pump?
I am currently pumping twice per 8 hour shift. When she was 10.5 months I dropped to pumping twice in an 8.5-9 hour workday. I was pumping 3 times a day and I'm getting almost as much milk pumping only twice - I also feel like I have a lot more freedom in my work day. DD will be 1 three weeks from today and starting next week I'm going to start tapering off on my AM pumping session. I would like to continue pumping at lunch time for a month or two after her birthday. However I have a substantial freezer stash (200+ ounces) that we'll also be using up.

She gets her milk in two bottles. She drinks water from a sippy, but has never had juice and we don't plan to start. Starting next week we're going to start transitioning her to a sippy for her EBM for one of her feedings and then will shift to both of them when she's comfortable. Our ped wants babies going from bottle to cup at a year so we're working on it (she encourages nursing directly for as long as it's working for mom and baby).

I'll be pumping at work past a year, but only once a day. The new federal law has never protected me since I'm an exempt employee. I take breaks when I want to, and I'm fine as long as I work for an average of 8 hours a day/40 hours a week. My state law does not put an age limit on an employee's right to pump or breastfeed in the workplace. However a coworker who was instrumental in getting us a lactation room will be returning from maternity leave in October and I'd like to be done by then so she can have it all to herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamayogibear View Post
So for those of you who pumped beyond a year: Do you have a nanny or another family member watch your lo when at work? Or does your daycare allow breastmilk for kids over one year?
My son was in daycare between 4 and 8 months but right now I work at home but will be back in daycare when he turns one. I will breastfeed him still so I don't want him to get other 'milks' (we don't do dairy) but I'm not sure if daycares allow breastmilk for kids in the toddler (1-2yrs) room. I will be going to school to be an RN and the daycare is on campus so if they say no to feeding him breastmilk I could nurse him between classes but then it wouldn't be with meals or on demand.
Sorry if I'm hijacking here
No, DD is in a daycare center. They have no problems giving breastmilk for kids over 1. They supply whole milk to kids over 1, but if parents want/need to send alternate milks then that's totally fine by them. Once DD is on cow's milk at daycare we'll be sending organic since we've chosen that route for our family. Our daycare is very breastfeeding-friendly but I don't see why a daycare would have a problem with you sending in milk as long as a refrigerator is available (and it should be).

Sorry to be blunt, but you're the parent and IMO if you want your child getting EBM then that's what they need to do. I would not ask them, I would just politely tell them that your baby will be continuing to get breastmilk in a cup until he weans. I would go into it matter-of-factly and point out that it's no different from a parent sending cow's milk in every day.

If they participate in the USDA food program you might have more difficulty. Speak with the director if necessary - I would be tempted to claim a dairy sensitivity if they take a hard line and say he can't have breast milk. Since you're a dairy-free family that shouldn't be too tough to pull off.